Re: Michal, Example of Divorce in Ancient Middle East

  • Richard Abbott
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 5, 2013
      Hi Ethel,

      oddly enough there is a school of rabbinic thought that holds that David did not divorce Michal, but that his anger over her reaction caused only a temporary rift between them. In this theory, the rift was officially satisfied by a change of name Michal -> Eglah, as seen for example in 2 Sam 3:5 and 1 Chron 3:3. So that way he could save his reputation over the argument, but also get her back as wife.

      The logic here is that Eglah is carefully called "David's wife" in both verses, even in a context where multiple wives are listed. Michal is the only other woman to be explicitly given this title (even though it is clear that he married several others), hence the suggestion that the two names in fact refer to the same person.

      Of course it's only a theory with not a lot other than tradition going for it, but I found it quite interesting.

      All the best

      Richard
      "Triumphal Accounts in Hebrew and Egyptian"
      http://www.amazon.com/Triumphal-accounts-Hebrew-Egyptian-ebook/dp/B009UETQD4/