Importance of 4 Maccabees in Ancient Jewish Thinking

  • ethels
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2012
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4_Maccabees
      This means to me that, indeed, it is appropriate to discuss this book at Hanukkah time.
      This is the period that Josephus describes as Antony, Cleopatra, Arab and Jew. - ethel jks
    • saintxmas
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 5, 2012
        Regardless of Wiki... Ethel, 4Macc was composed in Greek
        likely in the 1st or 2nd CE.
        It is based largely on the stories of 2Maccabees,
        and shares something in common with the Dead Sea Scrolls
        Community Rule.
        The Book is mentioned by Josephus, but only in some
        of his manuscripts; bearing in mind no complete original
        Greek version of his works now exists.
        Its most notable pretext is the immortality of
        the soul, and possibly represents a branch of Judaism
        which developed in parallel with early Pauline Christianity.
        Many suggest it is written in part as a Greek tragedy.

        It is not included in any Biblical Canon, though
        has appeared as an appendix in some LXX manuscripts.

        Rod

        --- In AncientBibleHistory@yahoogroups.com, "ethels" <macnietspingal@...> wrote:

        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4_Maccabees
        > This means to me that, indeed, it is appropriate to discuss this book at Hanukkah time.
        > This is the period that Josephus describes as Antony, Cleopatra, Arab and Jew. - ethel jks

      • Ethel Jean (Kowan) Saltz
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 5, 2012
          The only Bible Cannon I use is the Common English Bible. Therefor 4 Maccabees is included in a substantial Earthly Cannon written in the Lingua Franca. The reason I like this cannon is because it translates the Hebrew the way I do. Which might be different than the way you translate the Hebrew Cannon. Look up the credentials of the Common English Bible. It�s the first inclusive Cannon I have ever found. 84 books, 83 written by Jews around the Mediterranean engaged in the market place which was part of the architecture of the Temple in Jerusalem. � ethel jks

        • saintxmas
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 8, 2012
            My NRSV includes all the Maccabees, but under Apocrypha, along with
            Esdras etc.

            .
            The Tanakh, that is the Jewish Canon made up of the Torah (Teaching),
            Neviim(Prophets) and the Ketuvim (Writings), does not include Maccabees.

            Best
            Rod

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 10, 2012
              Isn�t it time to visit Common English Bible. Why stick to less informed Bible publications. Back to the Future Bible with inclusion of Dead Sea Scroll information. We�re way past the Gettysburg Bible, even King James Bible. Get Hep with CEB 2011. If they ever have enough courage to update their own publication with the forensic YHWH, it�s even more powerful. More unifying and defying YHWH actually because it is the Original Tower of Unity in a Lingua Franca. People are so reluctant to reinvent themselves with acceptance of Inconvenient Truths. For instance, with reference to this, the Shema is based on Deuteronomy 6. A short chapter and extremely KISSable politically in the 21st Century in Israel. Same as 4 Maccabees. It�s all Israeli culture and civilization. That�s because as late as 70CE, the market place was included in the architecture of the Jerusalem Temple.� ethel jks