Re: Moderator Reply / ABH Breaking the rules on postulating God's punishment

  • Richard Abbott
    Message 1 of 91 , Dec 1, 2010
      Rich,

      as a PS I just came across Mary Douglas' "Leviticus as Literature", published posthumously I believe. Again, she's coming from an anthropological perspective so I would expect the writing to be light on chronological issues but heavy on comparative material regarding other cultures and such like.

      All the best,

      Richard
      http://www.oldtestamentstudies.net

      --- In AncientBibleHistory@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Abbott" <richard_abbott@...> wrote:

      > Hi Rich,
      >
      > I've never really studied Leviticus in depth, but it occurs to me that Mary Douglas probably has something to say on the matter, as she has written extensively (from an anthropological perspective) on purity laws. ...
      >
      > --- In AncientBibleHistory@yahoogroups.com, "richfaussette" <RFaussette@> wrote:
      > > Thank you kindly Richard for your response.
      > > Zoroaster had a purity code which was not unlike the the one in Leviticus. I was wondering if there were any more like the Zoroastrian or Jewish example.
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > Rich Faussette

    • aris hobeth
      Message 91 of 91 , Dec 13, 2010
        I am suspicious of these guys. They wrote about stuff hundreds of years after
        the historic events had occured. And each appeared to be biased favoring their
        own views. Therefore, I prefer to check the Egyptian stuff as being at least
        closer to the events given in the bible. I suggest that both the biblical and
        Egyptian versions describe the same events (especially about Moses.) Sincerely,
        Aris M. Hobeth