Re: A Gap in Exodus

  • richfaussette
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2008
      --- In AncientBibleHistory@yahoogroups.com, "richfaussette"
      <RFaussette@...> wrote:

      > --- In AncientBibleHistory@yahoogroups.com, "George"
      > <historynow2002@> wrote:

      > > Why is there a gap between Genesis and Exodus?

      When George asked the above question, I responded with this:

      "The conflict between Egpyt and Israel is over demographics. It was
      necessary for a decent amount of time to pass for 70 to increase to a
      number large enough to fill the land and stimulate the conflict that
      results in the Exodus.

      Simply follow the thread from Abraham (descendants to fill the earth),
      to Isaac, who increases "a hundredfold" while in Gerar, to the
      pharoah's remark at the beginning of Exodus as to the numbers of
      Israelites and the refusal of hebrew midwives to commit infanticide."

      Later, after I made the above response, and while exploring the story
      of Ananias and Sapphira for George, I came across Stephen's reference
      to the conflict (Acts...7:17):

      "'Now as the time approached for God to fulfill the promise he had
      made to Abraham, our nation in Egypt grew and increased in numbers.
      At length another king, who new nothing of Joseph, ascended the
      throne of Egypt. He made a *crafty attack on our race,* and cruelly
      forced our ancestors to expose their children so that they (our
      ancestors[race]) should not survive.'"

      The demographic argument - out of the mouth of the first Christian
      martyr, who is recounting what he believes, just before he is stoned.

      Regards,
      Rich Faussette