Re: ABH Re: To prove there was not a 70-year gap in the occupation...

  • Ian Hinze
    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 1, 2007
      Hi Siaxares:

      I received this reply from 'Scholar JW':

      <Your exegesis of Jeremiah 44 :14, 28; 40:11 and Antiquities 10.9.7 is bunkum offering no proof whatsoever that the seventy year began with a Babylonian deportation of Jews in Nebuchadnezzer's 23 rd year and that Judea was not 'desolate...without an inhabitant'.

      Jeremiah 40:11 simply states that there a remnant of Jews who remained in Judah soon after the destruction of Jerusalem under the governship of Gedaliah who was killed thus causing those Jews to flee to Egypt. Thus land was desolate and uninhabited by Tishri of 607 BCE.

      Jeremiah 44: 14, addresses those exiles in Egypt who also would be punished and thus would not return. Some fugitives may at some future time see Judah but such is a forlorn hope. This oracle was addressed to the entire Judean community which would include previous exilees and those from the time of Jerusalem's destruction.

      Jeremiah 44:28, The entire Jewish community would also be punished with only a few escaping that destruction. This rermnant thus could testify to the truth of the prophetic word. In the course of time a Jewish remnant after the expiration of seventy years did in fact return and rebuild Judah as foretold.

      Antiquities 10.9.7. confirms the above showing that Nebuchadnezzer invaded Egypt taking Jews back to Babylon. Thus his conquest of Judah left the country 'a desert for seventy years'.

      In short, the overwhelming evidence that by the seventh month Tishri, 607 BCE Judah was desolate, uninhabited for seventy years whilst its people were exiled in Babylon serving its king for seventy years until their release and return by the seventh month Tishri, 537 BCE.

      scholar JW>

      It has removed 2522 spam emails to date.

    • Ian Hinze
      Message 35 of 35 , Dec 12, 2007
        Hi Joe,

        Sorry for the delay in my replying.

        This should help greatly in gaining an insight (I met the author, incidentally. A really nice chap): http://www.607v587.com/

        Ian

        It has removed 2565 spam emails to date.