Eden's angel with a fiery sword "Enmity between the serpent and women..."

  • aris hobeth
    Message 1 of 93 , Jun 30, 2007
      Perhaps the serpent (below) who tempted Eve, can also be linked to the flying fiery serpents discussed in other posts.

      Perhaps the Egyptian "cat" who killed the serpent Apopis, can also be the fiery lioness (cat)goddess Hathor/Sekhmet (the cow goddess took the form of the lioness goddess for this job) who had been also sent by Ra to destroy mankind (in another tale).

      Perhaps that serpent in Eden "tempting" Adam & Eve can be linked to the angel with the fiery sword who chased Adam & Eve from the lovely Eden. (Perhaps the author linked "sin" with earthly "punishment" like lots of people still do. The "bad" choice to "eat" of the "knowledge of good and evil" caused some real knowledge of an evil result: expulsion.)

      Perhaps among all this convoluted symbolism is some sort of heavenly battle of two comets (?): one that looked like a flying fiery serpent, and one that looked like a flying cat or Hathor cow. Like the comet which recently hit Jupiter being broken into a series of pieces, following each other like a string of pearls. Comets often take serpentine tails which undulate, and can also appear to have horns, like a crescent moon.

      In any horrendous event of biblical proportions, the earth suffered destruction. Eden was destroyed. Civilization had to rebuild. It had been way nicer previously.

      Perhaps the bible is a poetic listing of historic destructions of "biblical proportions" recorded to never be forgotten. Perhaps the expulsion from Eden is the first Day ("destruction") of creation recorded by the author. The same author later experienced the seventh and last Day of "creation", the passover angel of death which destroyed Egypt. That angel may be the same angel who destroyed Eden previously. And the "exodus" can be seen as the same type of "expulsion" endured by Adam and Eve.

      Perhaps the author of Genesis took the deathbed warning of Joseph that "God will visit". The author understood this to be the passover angel sent by God to visit destruction on Egypt.

      Perhaps the seven days of "creation" were actually God "adjusting" his earth, which could be seen by mankind as terrible destructions. Perhaps the author listed seven historic destructions, symbolized by the "seven cows" of Joseph which brought famine. The seventh cow being the last of the seven days of "creation".

      ( The seven days of creation are suggested here to be listed as the seven destructions in Genesis and Exodus: 1)expulsion from Eden, 2)Noah’s flood, 3)Abraham’s famine, 4)destruction of Sodom, 5)Joseph’s famine, 6)passover, 7)destruction of Jericho. The reversal of 6 and 7 possibly being poetic license or the retreat of the comet which became less dangerous comet. Solomon also had an experience with the angel of destruction and lost 70,000 persons.)

      Sincerely, Aris M. Hobeth

      driver40386 <jon442@...> wrote:
      --- In AncientBibleHistory@yahoogroups.com, "andrej1234au"
      <andrej1234au@...> wrote:
      > John
      > > "Us" Holly. I wonder who were the "Other" Gods referred to here.
      > Perhaps the serpent was the male deity after whom Adam was fashioned,
      > Yahweh the female deity after whom Eve was fashioned.

      In many cases the Serpent is representative of either Set or Apophis
      and a Serpent coiled around the branches of the Persea tree (Tree of
      Life) was a popular theme in ancient Egypt.
      In Egypt the Serpent is killed by Ra who appears in the form of a cat.
      I have not yet located a specific drama to parallel the Biblical tale
      but many of the elements are present.

      "According to a text quoted by Dr. Brugsch, Ate, the local goddess of
      Henen-su, in the form of a cat slew Apep, the great serpent of
      darkness. From this it is clear that she was a female counterpart of
      Ra, who, as we knew from the xviith Chapter of the Book of the Dead,
      took the form of a cat, and slew Apep, the prince of darkness, who had
      taken the form of a monster serpent. The text says, I am the Cat
      {Mau,} which "fought {?] hard by the Persea Tree.."

      "......while the last significant scene on this wall is a well known
      portrayal of the Cat of Heliopolis killing the serpent Apophis under
      the Persea holy tree. The cat is linked with the sun god Ra. In
      Egyptian mythology, the bargue of the sun god was threatened by the
      snake daily as it passed through the underworld. This snake is a
      symbol of chaos that had to be ritually killed."

      Regards, Jon

      Get your own web address.

    • bergendelperon
      Message 93 of 93 , Jul 11, 2007
        Holly wrote:

        > Israeliat are hadiths that are Biblically based and appear to
        > contradict the Quran's version of events as the Adam's rib story (no
        > rib in the Quran), world wide Noah's flood story (Quran says it was
        > localized to Noah's people), Sarah's jealousy of Hagar, Abraham in
        > Egypt, Abraham and pharaoh (No such stories in the Quran) etc.

        . . . . . .

        Hi Holly,

        Yes that is a most helpful reply though it reminds me that here in
        the western world our several Churches have an immense literature
        describing people and events from the Old Testament, especially
        ancient Patristic writings (by Church Patriarchs) that predate the
        Koran by centuries. And then there were writers in the Nestorian,
        Armenian, Alexandrian and Coptic Churches also.

        So if you read Hadiths in Arabic, and the writer is Anonymous,
        there is no way ... to discern where the 'Israelit' subject matter
        is originating. It may be ... 'Christiat' or 'Coptiat' et cetera.
        Indeed the composer may be Muslim and drawing the matter
        out of his or her own imagination.