Re: The nature of the Late Bronze Age collapse II

  • andrej1234au
    Message 1 of 38 , Apr 1, 2007
      John

      > > Let's also keep in mind exactly when the ancient
      > > Egyptians began to store up their excess. The Bible
      > > tells us that this was done by Joseph, who according
      > > to your scenario must have done so sometime around
      > > or shortly before the reign of Merenptah.
      > > But what does history actually tell us?
      >
      > Egyptian granaries are found from pre-Dynastic times.
      > The pyramids were built using the stored grain. There
      > were 7 year droughts in the reigns of Djoser, Unas,
      > and after Pepi and also in the late Middle Kingdom.
      > It seems to have been a common theme down to Roman
      > times in this part of the world. Ever since the
      > drying out of the Sahara (if not before),
      > harvested grains were stored. Sorry AJ
      > this will not work.

      What will not work, John, the fact that you just proved for me that
      the Biblical story of Joseph instituting granaries is a fiction?

      Obviously if there is any historicity to the claims, then Joseph must
      have lived in pre-Dynastic times (a long way from Merneptah).

      aj
    • richfaussette
      Message 38 of 38 , Apr 2, 2007
        --- In AncientBibleHistory@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jdcroft@...>
        wrote:

        > Aj wrote
        >
        > > What will not work, John, the fact that you just proved for me
        that
        > > the Biblical story of Joseph instituting granaries is a fiction?
        > >
        > > Obviously if there is any historicity to the claims, then Joseph
        must
        > > have lived in pre-Dynastic times (a long way from Merneptah).

        > AJ, this is exactly what annoys me so much with so called Biblical
        > scholarship. There seems to be an almost obsessive attempt to
        relate
        > the events in the Bible with the "first" account of a series of
        > events. Rather than the first, maybe we should more properly look
        at
        > the other elements of the context, and realise that what is being
        > described here is an old archetypal pattern, repeated many times.
        > Exactly as we find in the Pesher technique.
        >
        > And this too is found throughout the Biblical approach, down to the
        > present day.
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > John

        Yes. Genesis does contain the archetypes, and archetypes do
        constitute the first instance of an entity repeated many times.
        Joseph in Egypt describes the centralization of agriculture; a
        process that began in the first agricultural state and the first
        empire. The centralization of agriculture does not happen to
        shepherds (sojourners). It happens to farmers (settlers), depriving
        them of their land and their freedom. This is why Cain is jealous of
        Abel and why pastoralists are favored over farmers in Genesis and why
        Joseph arranges to have his family remain shepherds when they settle
        in Egypt. Sojourning shepherds are not subject to the centralization
        of agriculture.
        The pattern is always repeated throughout history in each
        agricultural state.

        rich faussette