Re: ABH Balkis

  • Holly Aldahir
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 1, 2006
      Ausra:
      This is speculation on my part, but Belkis may be a
      corruption of Baal Qos. Qos was the chief god of the
      Edomites. The name Belkis was adopted into Islamic
      tradition (Hadith) as the Queen of Sheba or Saba. The
      name Belkis is not mentioned in the Quran. A similar
      corruption has entered Islam through Persian mythology
      with the adoption of the Mahdi or "guided one." Mahdi
      may be an Arabicized version of the Persian god
      Mithras or "Mehr" in Farsi. According to the Shia, the
      Mahdi shares with Mithras a similar end times scenario
      when he emerges from a cave to fight the forces of
      evil. The cave motif, dualism and the end times
      triumph of the Mahdi all appear in the Mithras
      mythology. The Mahdi is not mentioned in the Quran but
      is a figure in much later Hadith traditions.
      Hope this Helps
      Holly

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/.6dcNC/.VHMAA/Zx0JAA/1YwolB/TM

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Holly Aldahir
      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 6, 2006
        AJ:
        I can't tell because I have never heard those
        particular stories.

        Take Care
        Holly