Re: ABH Aris - The mummification of Joseph

  • aris hobeth
    Message 1 of 125 , Oct 1, 2004
      Joseph became Egyptianized to the point that his brothers did not recognize him. He could not even eat with them. Why would he change his Egyptian methods for care of his body. Do you think the king of Egypt would order that Joseph's body be wrapped in sheepskin and covered with sand until nothing but bones remained? Why should he? The Egyptians diefied Joseph. Would they have allowed such a lowly degree of care be given to the body of their great hero and savior? Surely Joseph's family appreciated the great esteem the great country of Egypt held for their brother. Besides his bones are already in the mummy. "Bones" need not be taken so literally. I see no need to make Joseph more Asiatic than Egyptian.

      Likewise, the same for Moses/Sesostris III.

      Sincerely, Aris M. Hobeth

      A J <andrej1234au@...> wrote:
      Aris

      The first verses of Genesis 50 tell us of the
      embalming of Jacob (upon Joseph's command) and
      subsequent burial in Canaan; throughout the 13 verses
      the corpse is referred to as Joseph's 'father', not
      merely as his 'bones'.

      There is no talk of Joseph ever having been embalmed,
      and the fact that Genesis, Exodus and Joshua all refer
      to Joseph's 'bones' rather than Joseph himself
      indicates that they literally carried his bones (not
      his mummy) to Canaan for burial.

      ad spiritum
      Chrysippus

      http://au.movies.yahoo.com

      CONTACT ABH MODERATORS:
      AncientBibleHistory-owner@yahoogroups.com

      ABH WEBPAGE:
      http://www.angelfire.com/or3/ancientbiblehistory/

      ABH GROUP PAGE:

      ABS GROUP PAGE:

      PUBLIC ARCHIVES:
      http://www.eScribe.com/religion/AncientBibleHistory/

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • George
      Message 125 of 125 , Jul 3, 2007
        Some messages are only now reaching the list - - I have
        not been close to a functioning computer and this has
        delayed them.

        I'll see about changing that problem.

        Regards,

        George