Re: One Writer's Interpretation of THREE VOICES in Isaiah!

  • b0ddha
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2004
      --- In AncientBibleHistory@yahoogroups.com, "George"
      <historynow2002@y...> wrote:
      > Dear ABH Readers:
      >
      > In the book, Judaism in Persia's Shadow: A social
      > and Historical Approach by Jon L. Berquist (1995)
      > on pages 74-76 we are presented with a very INNOVATIVE
      > look at how to interpret biblical texts. He perceives
      > THREE camps - IMMIGRANT PRIESTS, IMMIGRANT POLITICIANS
      > and the NATIVES. I found this to be the highlight of
      > the book!

      I read this book several years ago and was impressed with it. As I
      recall, it presents the scenario I have occasionally mentioned: the
      major Pentateuch redaction probably resulting from policies of Darius.
      And if I'm not remembering things wrong, the 3-way dialogue in Isaiah
      would be set in the 5th century as well.
    • George
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2004
        Gabe,

        I believe you are correct. The 3-way discussion
        is a post-exilic discussion.... specifically
        from the period of time when the temple was being
        built.

        The MAJOR under-explored area in these discussions
        is that Berquist, like most others in the field,
        has a Jerusalem-centrist viewpoint.... which blinds
        the writer of focusing any attention on the idea
        that the NATIVE voices might be those of Samaritan
        NATIVES.

        But there's more than enough material in his treatment
        to warrant accolades. To see THREE voices WITHIN
        the last chapters of Isaiah is dramatically important,
        though some might want to consider this a contrived
        conclusion.

        Regards,

        George