ABH 'PR ("PR='apiru=>Hebrew?) Slave Labor under Ramesses II and b efore

  • Stephen Brock
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2001
      Something else I found interesting in the Keller "Bible as History" book:

      Basically, Keller thinks that the exodus occurred somewhere in the reign
      under Horneheb and Ramesses II. Specifically he says exactly copied from
      his book:

      On page 114
      "if we put it about 1290 BC we can not go far wrong, since the first years
      of the reign of Ramesses II (1301 - 1234) were to a large extant occupied
      with building activities in the city to which he has given his name- the
      Raamses of the Israelite tradition...

      On page 110:
      Here Keller has a copy of a very interesting picture that I will try to
      describe. It was found on in the tomb of a "great dignitary, the vizier
      Rekhmire, showing what he had done for the benefit of his country. The
      detail shows the manufacture of Egyptian bricks, the most notable feature
      being the light-skinned workmen, who are clad only in linen aprons. A
      comparison with the dark-skinned overseers shows that the fair-skinned men
      are probably Semites, but certainly not Egyptians. 'He provides us with
      bread, beer and every good thing'. Yet despite these words of praise about
      the quality of the diet, there is no doubt about the fact that they are not
      working voluntarily but compulsorily. 'The rod is in my hand' one of the
      Egyptian overseers is saying, according t the hieroglyphic inscription 'Be
      not idle'... An inscription of the time of Ramesses II speaks of "'PR" ,
      'who hauled the stones for the great fortress of the city of
      Per-Ramesses-Meri-Imen'. "'PR" is Egyptian hieroglyphics for Semites".

      So there were slave laborers of Semite origin in the beginning of Ramesses
      II reign.