Dhushare of Edom/Nabataea

  • George
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1 6:55 AM
      John,

      While it may be comparatively easy to determine
      who the Nabataeans thought Dhushare was, the question
      remains as to whether:

      1] he was brought to the region by the Nabataeans, or
      2] just his name was brought with him, or
      3] "dhushare" is just an innovation of elements that
      were already present in the region (the term "seir",
      and the god of the region).

      But if you have been following my recent posts, I
      tend towards the idea that "Ea/Yah" had been in the
      area ever since Egyptian times (per Sinuhe's land of
      Yaa, and per the reference to the Yah of the Shasu).

      And that the bible references to Seir and the Nabataean
      references to DhuSeir come from the same source....
      the Persian era intrusion of the clan Nabatu, with a
      Hurrianized linguistic component..... along the lines
      of the Hurrian-derived Noah, and the Hurrian/Urartu
      derived interest in Mt. Ararat.

      George

      --- In AncientBibleHistory@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jdcroft@y...>
      wrote:
      > George wrote
      >
      > > It's sort of like saying that the original name of the
      > > Nabataean god was "Dhushare", and that it was then
      > > shortened to "Seir".
      >
      > George I have been thinking a great deal about the name Seir. In
      > particular I have been wondering about Seir/Shar as the land of the
      > Shasu. Dhushare, we are told originally means something like "Lord
      > of Seir" in the same way that we find "Melkart" means "King of the
      > City" (of Tyre), or even earlier mentions of Baal (Lord) of
      Byblos.
      > If Dhushare was originally a ttle of a "nameless" God (or a God
      who's
      > name was too holly to be given), could he originally have
      > been "Yahweh of the Shasu" mentioned in the inscription of
      Amenhotep