Re: Etymological source for "incarnate"

  • Russ Conte
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2000
      The fullest definition I found was in Easton's Bible Dictionary:

      > ïINCARNATION that act of grace whereby Christ took our human nature
      > into union with his Divine Person, became man. Christ is both God and
      > man. Human attributes and actions are predicated of him, and he of whom
      > they are predicated is God. A Divine Person was united to a human nature
      > (Acts 20:28; Romans 8:32; 1 Corinthians 2:8; Hebrews 2:11-14; 1
      > Timothy 3:16; Galatians 4:4, etc.). The union is hypostatical, i.e., is
      > personal; the two natures are not mixed or confounded, and it is perpetual.

      All 118 reference to "incarnate" in the Ante and Post Nicene Fathers can be
      found here:

      http://pascal.calvin.edu/cgi-bin/htsearch?config=htdig&restrict=%2Ffathers2%2F&words=incarnate&method=and

      Another page has a long list of dictionaries of religious terms (not just
      Christian, it includes Buddhist, Jain, Moslem, Quaker, and many, many more) and
      it's here:

      http://www.1000dictionaries.com/religion_dictionaries1.html

      You'll need to scroll down the page to see the religion dictionaries, but they
      are on that page. I did not check any of the dictionaries, but if someone sees
      something worthwhile, check it out and please post!

      I've not found a good etymology. Some of the ones I found online say the word
      comes from the 14th century. Sorry, but I don't think so.

      I think it's possibly in the big Kittel Dictionary which I don't have nor can I
      find it online. Anyone have access to it and care to check and post? Or does
      anyone have an etymological dictionary and care to post?

      Thanks,

      Russ Conte