72406Re: ABH YHWH ELOHIM

  • Lloyd Barre
    Feb 5, 2014
      Holly fails to realize that ancient Palestinian religion was diverse and evolved from henotheism to monotheism (in Judah).  Nor does she seem to be aware that the northern kingdom originally venerated El while the southern Kingdom originally venerated Yahweh.  The Levites, on the other hand, practiced an Egyptian inspired form of religion I call elohimism.  These distinction can be found by studying the various Pentateuchal sources of J,E and P.

      LM Barre, PhD

      LM Barre', PhD
      Khepera Productions

      On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 3:54 PM, <gmrf@...> wrote:

      Mary:

      The religion of Yahwism/Elohimism was not a religion that recognized one god. The religion was henotheistic which means that the Yahwists/Elohists recognized the existence of many gods but were exclusively devoted to their particular deity. This view is especially expressed in Deut. 32 where Yhwh is also given the name "The Rock" (הַצּוּר֙) and the god(s) of the goyim are also referred to as '(their) rock' . According to this chapter of Deuteronomy, Yhwh separated the non Hebrew people or goyim from his personal possession, the Hebrews whose people are referred to as 'amow' or His people. Their is an acute distinction between the Yhwh's chosen or amow and the non chosen goyim. However, the gods of the goyim are recognized as their creators or source of existence:

      Because I will publish the name of the Lord (Yhwh/יְהוָ֖ה): ascribe ye greatness unto our God (Elohiymnu/אלֹהֵֽינוּ).

      He is the Rock (HaSur/הַצּוּר֙), his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God (El/)אֵ֤ל of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he....

      When the Most High (Elyon/עֶלְיוֹן֙) divided to the nations (goyim/גּוֹיִ֔ם) their inheritance, when he separated the sons of Adam, he set the bounds of the people according to the number of the children of Israel.

      For the Lord's (Yhwh/יְהֹוָ֖ה) portion is his people (amow/עַמּ֑וֹ); Jacob is the lot of his inheritance...

      Of the Rock that begat thee thou art unmindful, and hast forgotten God that formed thee...

      30 How should one chase a thousand, and two put ten thousand to flight, except their Rock had sold them, and the Lord had shut them up?

      31 For their rock is not as our Rock, even our enemies themselves being judges....

      36 For the Lord shall judge his people, and repent himself for his servants, when he seeth that their power is gone, and there is none shut up, or left.

      37 And he shall say, Where are their gods, their rock in whom they trusted,

      Again, the god of the Moabites, Chemosh, is acknowledged as a god who can be captured in the form of his icon just as Yhwh was captured by the Philistines (1 Sam 5:2-7) in the form of his icon, the nehushtan, the snake form taken by Aaron's rod when he confronted Pharaoh (Ex 7: 8-13). This rod was laid in the ark according to Numbers 17:10 which was captured by the Philistines. The nehushtan was worshiped as a form of Yhwh in the Jerusalem temple (2 K 18:4) just as the Israelites worshiped Elohiym in the form of a calf (1 K 12:28). So, the Biblical authors did recognize Chemosh as the legitimate god of the Moabites:

      Num 21:29:

      29 Woe to thee, Moab! thou art undone, O people of Chemosh: he hath given his sons that escaped, and his daughters, into captivity unto Sihon king of the Amorites.

      Jdgs 11:24:

      24 Wilt not thou possess that which Chemosh thy god giveth thee to possess? So whomsoever the Lord our God shall drive out from before us, them will we possess.

      Jer 48:7:

      For because thou hast trusted in thy works and in thy treasures, thou shalt also be taken: and Chemosh shall go forth into captivity with his priests and his princes together.

      In conclusion, the Hebrew authors of the TaNaKh initially recognized their god as exclusively their creator who belonged only to them. They also acknowledged the existence of other gods which created the goyim or non Hebraic nations & tribes. This tenet of early Judaism became obsolete when the Hebrews were occupied by the Persians. The Persian religion was essentially dualistic and recognized 2 gods; a god of good, Ahura Mazda and a god of evil, Ahriman. Zoroastrians believed in an end-times battle when these 2 gods would confront one another and Ahura Mazda would prevail over Ahriman.The Jews adopted these beliefs into their religion and acknowledged one creator whose enemy became Satan. Thus, in the saga of Noah, all of the children of the other gods (Nephilim and Raphaim in the Bible) were drowned so that humanity had but one creator thru Noah, and that creator was Yhwh-Elohim. However, it is implied that the wives of Ham and Japheth may have been surviving children of other gods as their descendants are considered by the Biblical authors to be goyim.

      Holly

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic