Welcome

  • Stanford Mommaerts-Browne
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2006
      Hi! Welcome to Anatolion. This group had no members for a while;
      then when I checked, we had eight! Apparently, I had forgotten to set
      the group to send me notices of joinings.
      Since we now have some members, perhaps we should start some postings?
      I have nothing, immediately, (having just finished composing pieces on
      two other, unrelated topics). But, I could suggest that maybe each of
      us should introduce our selves, sharing, specifically, what interests
      each of us about Ancient Anatolia.
      Since I'm here, I'll start.
      I have been interested, since the age of about eight, in the relations
      between the Hittites and the Achaeans. Secondarily, I have been
      interested in the political, (including diplomatic), histories of the
      various peoples that have lived in Asia Minor: Hittites, Ionians,
      Carians, Phrygians, Lydians, Galatians, right down to the Turks.
      I also have a keen interest in genealogy, so anything that deals with
      that subject, (called 'the handmaid of history'), also interests me.
      Ford MB
    • Catherine Draycott
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2006

        Dear all,

        I thought I would take a moment to respond to the friendly invitation.  Unfortunately, I am in a very busy period and I joined in order to catch conference announcements and to read postings on topics of interest, but I tend not to post often myself, so I hope that is not a disappointment.  I can send on any word of conferences that I know of which might not have made it onto other lists.

        Myself, I am a D.Phil,. student at Oxford , writing a dissertation on funerary art in Western Anatolian in the ‘archaic period’ in Greek art history terms (c. 600 – 450 BC).  The areas covered are Phrygia, Hellespontine Phrygia , Lydia and Lycia .  The method is close analysis of the items in their comparative historical and archaeological contexts.  It’s quite large, so I’m back to work now….

        Best wishes,

        Catherine Draycott

[...]

      • Ford Mommaerts-Browne
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2, 2006

          Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 7:16 AM
          Subject: RE: [Anatolion] Welcome

          Dear all,

          I thought I would take a moment to respond to the friendly invitation.  Unfortunately, I am in a very busy period and I joined in order to catch conference announcements and to read postings on topics of interest, but I tend not to post often myself, so I hope that is not a disappointment.  I can send on any word of conferences that I know of which might not have made it onto other lists.

          Best wishes,

          Catherine Draycott

          Dear Catherine:

          Thank you for the offer of conference notices.  I am sure that such would meet with appreciation.  And best of luck on your dissertation.

          Ford

        • patrier julie
          Message 4 of 7 , May 2, 2006
            Dear All,

            I'm just joigned this discussion list. I'm a in Master
            II in Strasbourg, under the direction of Professor
            Dominique Beyer. Last year I worked on a particular
            question about seals: their prehensions, caps and more
            general their forms and the way of wearing them.
            For my dissertation, i totally change of subject and
            I'm preparing a research project about the food in
            western Asia on the Bronze Age. I'm just begining so
            if someone has some references about the question, I
            will be very thankful.
            Best regards,

            Julie Patrier.

            PS: Sorry for my bad english.

            --- Ford Mommaerts-Browne <FordMommaerts@...> a
            écrit :

> [...]

            Faites de Yahoo! votre page d'accueil sur le web pour retrouver directement vos services préférés : vérifiez vos nouveaux mails, lancez vos recherches et suivez l'actualité en temps réel.
            Rendez-vous sur http://fr.yahoo.com/set
          • Ford Mommaerts-Browne
            Message 5 of 7 , May 3, 2006
              Dear Julie:
              There is an excellent book called, I think, The History of Food.  It is packed away, so I don't have the full citation to hand, but it was not only informative, but a very good read.
              Ford

              Message 6 of 7 , May 3, 2006
                Dear Ford,

                Thank you very much for this reference. I will see if
                I can find something. Altough, If you remebered the
                author or anything else, can you send me a mail.
                Thanks again,
                Julie.

                Message 7 of 7 , May 3, 2006
                  Yes, of course.  I tried googling it earlier tonight.  I didn't find the book; but did find a lot of sites that MIGHT be helpful.