Re: [Anahita-l] Seeking book review

  • Anca Dan
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1 4:14 AM
      Hello,
      I do not have a review, but the abstract of her dissertation in 2000 at University of Pennsylvania. The PDF of the dissertation is online on Proquest Digital Dissertations. Hope it could help.
      Sincerely yours,
      Anca Dan

      This study examines Aphrodite's emergence into the Greek pantheon.
      It is an inquiry into the intellectual and religious history of Greece
      and the trade and cultural contacts between the Aegean and the Near
      East.
      What this study provides is a multi-disciplinary approach
      to the problem. Making use of literature (Greek, Linear B, Ugaritic,
      Akkadian, Syllabo-Cypriot, the Indic Vedas, and even the Norse Eddas),
      art history, archaeology, anthropology, comparative mythology, and
      feminist theory, this work determines the role of Aphrodite in Greece,
      the chronology of her cult in the Aegean, the path by which her cult
      reached Greece, her ultimate ancestor(s), and how the goddess changed
      over time and space.
      Having used the ancient literature and art
      to determine what Aphrodite was to the ancient Greeks, this study
      follows the path of Aphrodite's cult from the Near East through Cyprus
      into Crete and Greece. Archaeology and the Linear B tablets and the
      works of Hesiod and Homer show that the goddess's cult did not take
      hold in Greece until after the Bronze Age, but well before the other
      "Asiatic" cults emerged, such as those of Isis and Serapis. The Homeric
      Epics and Hymns point to a Cypriot origin of Aphrodite, which, thus,
      becomes the next step on her journey. Cyprus shows a complex and
      long-lived tradition of goddess worship, especially in those places
      later to be associated with Aphrodite, such as Paphos. Nevertheless, it
      is evident that Near Eastern iconography and ideology had a strong
      influence on the Cypriot religion in the Late Bronze Age. Thus, the
      Levant and its various goddesses is the next area of study. Finally,
      this study considers the later conflation of Aphrodite and Phoenician
      Astart, and the final Hellenization of Aphrodite.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2 6:02 PM
        Thanks Anca. I'll try and search it out.