My son wants to start fighting

  • richard_thomas89
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 14, 2013
      Hi there.

      My son, who will be 5 next March, has wanted to fight ever since he could ask for it. (Or, as he calls it, to "play bonky-head").

      My lady and I used to both fight, but I haven't actually been in armor since the late 90's. For her it's been even longer. My fighter's card is long since lost, and I don't remember much of anything.

      We live in Glymm Mere, and there isn't much here as far as Youth Fighting goes, so I'd need to get him hooked up with a group that has more young fighters.

      I could also use some resources on armor. Some things I can make using the excellent resources on this site, but some things are probably better to be bought - his helmet for instance. Can anyone give me contact info on a good armorer who does child-sized work?

      Thanks,

      Brother Michael of Oxford
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 14, 2013
        Where in Glymm Mere do you live, and how far are you willing to travel.  I live in the westernmost reaches of Glymm Mere (Aberdeen), and have been looking for a location to do YAC activities.  I can not afford to drive all the way to Olympia for practices all the time, but also do not think it would be fair to require all the centrally located Glymm Merian YAC fighters to travel all the way to Aberdeen, so I am looking for a good halfway point like Elma or McCleary.
            YIS,
             Lord Jean-Pierre Colbert le Touche au Tout

        Acting Branch Herald for the Village of Waldhafn
        Youth Armored Combat Senior Marshal
        Rapier Junior Marshal
        Thrown Weapons Junior Marshal
        Member of the Order of the Crystal of the Barony of Glymm Mere

        http://www.facebook.com/blaine.hebert
        http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=149139248430504

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 14, 2013
            Hail Brother Michael:

            I would not recommend putting such a young fighter in an adult helmet. However,I bought an inexpensive one on Amazon that work well with modification. Here is a link:
            http://www.amazon.com/RedSkyTrader-Unisex-Adult-Sugarloaf-Helmet-Bronze/dp/B001DTTUFS/ref=sr_1_161?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1373867906&sr=1-161

            You need to know how to pad it and modify for a chin stap.

            I would recommend that you try and attend Sport of Kings as there will be lots of YAC folks here who would be willing to help (me included).

            YIS,
            Lady Tamar Rustavelli

            --- In AnTirYAC@yahoogroups.com, "richard_thomas89" <harbqll@...> wrote:

            > Hi there.
            >
            > My son, who will be 5 next March, has wanted to fight ever since he could ask for it. (Or, as he calls it, to "play bonky-head").
            >
            > My lady and I used to both fight, but I haven't actually been in armor since the late 90's. For her it's been even longer. My fighter's card is long since lost, and I don't remember much of anything.
            >
            > We live in Glymm Mere, and there isn't much here as far as Youth Fighting goes, so I'd need to get him hooked up with a group that has more young fighters.
            >
            > I could also use some resources on armor. Some things I can make using the excellent resources on this site, but some things are probably better to be bought - his helmet for instance. Can anyone give me contact info on a good armorer who does child-sized work?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Brother Michael of Oxford

          • Rich Thomas
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 15, 2013
              We're in Yelm.  Elma and McCleary are pretty far afield, looking at the map.  (We've only been here a year.)

              Still, I guess it's not that much farther than heading to Lacey/Olympia.

              To: AnTirYAC@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 15, 2013
                I typo'd...he's going to be 6 next March.  Which still makes him about 8 month too young right now, but we can work on getting armor together and start doing some basics.

                To: AnTirYAC@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 15, 2013
                  That helmet looks great, but the description says it's 18 gauge.  Did they change the rules?  I thought 16 was the standard.

                  To: AnTirYAC@yahoogroups.com
                  From: wolfgirrl@...
                  Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 06:01:43 +0000
                  Subject: [AnTirYAC] Re: My son wants to start fighting

                  Hail Brother Michael:

                  I would not recommend putting such a young fighter in an adult helmet. However,I bought an inexpensive one on Amazon that work well with modification. Here is a link:
                  http://www.amazon.com/RedSkyTrader-Unisex-Adult-Sugarloaf-Helmet-Bronze/dp/B001DTTUFS/ref=sr_1_161?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1373867906&sr=1-161

                  You need to know how to pad it and modify for a chin stap.

                  I would recommend that you try and attend Sport of Kings as there will be lots of YAC folks here who would be willing to help (me included).

                  YIS,
                  Lady Tamar Rustavelli

                  --- In AnTirYAC@yahoogroups.com, "richard_thomas89" <harbqll@...> wrote:

                  > Hi there.
                  >
                  > My son, who will be 5 next March, has wanted to fight ever since he could ask for it. (Or, as he calls it, to "play bonky-head").
                  >
                  > My lady and I used to both fight, but I haven't actually been in armor since the late 90's. For her it's been even longer. My fighter's card is long since lost, and I don't remember much of anything.
                  >
                  > We live in Glymm Mere, and there isn't much here as far as Youth Fighting goes, so I'd need to get him hooked up with a group that has more young fighters.
                  >
                  > I could also use some resources on armor. Some things I can make using the excellent resources on this site, but some things are probably better to be bought - his helmet for instance. Can anyone give me contact info on a good armorer who does child-sized work?
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Brother Michael of Oxford

                • Gerack Talmoor
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 15, 2013
                    Have you looked at the kingdom YAC file? The lion ( which your son will be) and griffon divisions allow 18 ga metal helms. Hockey helmets with a grill are rather common youth helmets, just need to add a heavy leather drape on the back.

                    I am a Youth Marshall in Blatha An Oir (Tacoma). We have recently shut down our program for lack of interest and participants. I am more than happy to offer some help if you need it, we have a youth up here who is 6 but a tad on the small side that is looking to get into the program. Feel free to email me directly if I can be of help.

                    Alasdair Mac Roibeirt

                    May you always be worthy of your dreams.

                    .