Retirement of a Friend and Officer

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 14, 2012

      Greetings to All,

      As always, the contents of this message are being published to both the Yahoo and Facebook Group so please forgive the duplication.

      Although I knew the day was coming, it is still with a heavy heart and a tear in my eye that I must announce the retirement of a good friend and confidant. As of January 1, 2013, Sebastiaen ‘Sable’ des Roseaux will be retiring from his role as both YAC Warden for the Barony of Three Mountains as well as Western Region Deputy of An Tir.

      For those of you who have read my various emails over the years, you will know that I never seem to lack for something to say about most anything to do with the program; which is a nicer way of saying that I talk way too much. However, in this case, I feel that I am falling short when it comes to expressing my appreciation for everything this kind gentle has done for both the YAC Program as well as me personally.

      Although it seems like ages ago, only seven years have passed since I first became involved with the SCA; and initially because of my sons interest in the YAC program. And as my persona slowly evolved from that of being just a mundane parent simply watching from the edge of the Eric to that of a sworn officer of the Kingdom, Sebastiaen was always there. At first it was just to answer any of those simple questions people new to the dream might have, however as time went on not only did our friendship grow but so did my reliance on his advice and guidance when it came to nurturing our fledgling program.

      So my friend let me be the first to raise a glass in your honor…..and let me tell you, I am going to need a stiff drink as I consider how I am going to fill those empty spots you leave behind…… a toast to celebrate all those things you have been - a Marshal, a teacher, an adviser and a friend. And then another for all those roles and successes that lay in front of you. HUZZZZZZZAH!

      YIS

      HL Jólgeirr Álarson, YAC Kingdom Deputy mka Jordan Boswell

      Please Note: I have decided, with Sebastiaen’s approval of course, to re-post his official letter of resignation for those who are interested.

       As with all things in life, I believe that one must be willing to see that personal growth depends not only on helping others to become, but also when it is time take the next step in your own life. My next step has appeared, and it is time for me to move on. It is with a heavy heart that I must submit my official notice of resignation from my positions as Youth Armored Combat Warden for the Barony of Three Mountains and Western Region Warden of An Tir, effective January 1, 2013.

      The last 4 years have been an exciting one for me. I originally started in Youth Armored Combat because my boys expressed an interest in fighting like I did. As we all know that younger children have the attention span of a gnat usually, I continued with the program in my area even after they had put their swords down for other activities.

      It was just over 2 years ago that you asked me to step up as Western Regional Deputy of An Tir, and the Princess of Summits charged me with helping to re-ignite the YAC program in Summits (I think the spark turned into a flame down there now). About a year in I became more focused on my fighting, and I began to see that my commitment to my craft would impinge on what the growing Youth Armored Combat program in An Tir would require of a person in my position. The most that I can say about my contribution to this program was that I did what I could, the best that I knew how.

      As with many of activities in my life, there are too many people to thank for their support and help. I would be remiss if I didn’t name these four people that have been the greatest contribution to me or the program (and sometimes both): my wife, Lady Erika the Dragon’s Mistress, Their Excellencies of Three Mountains Alfric Rolfson and Jill Blackhorse, and HL Tamar Rustaveli. Thank you for everything.
      I still believe in what the Youth Armored Combat program stands for, and what it can instill in the young people that are destined to become the future holders of the Crown, Coronets, and peerages of our Great Kingdom. I would have you know that my commitment to this program will never cease. If you need my assistance, and I can give it, please do not hesitate to ask.

      In Service

      Sebastiaen ‘Sable’ des Roseaux G.d.S.
      Youth Armored Combat Warden, Three Mountains & Western Region
      Sergeant to Her Excellency of Three Mountains
      mka David Hemmer