Suggestions for formats for YAC Champion/Defender?

  • gabiblaug
    Message 1 of 2 , May 30, 2012
      Hail YAC Marshals and All Interested YAC Fighters:

      I need to pick the format for an upcomming YAC Champion event and I am running up against how to handle picking a winner if fighters from divisions want to compete. Here is what I came up with:

      1) 2 or more fighters in each age division each fighter will fight 5 fights in their division and the fighter with the most wins is the winner.  Ties will be decided by instant elimination with fights between the two best fighters in each division. In the event a division has more than 4 fighters that division will become double elimination.
      2) If we have one fighter in each division (i.e. we have one dragon and one griffon) the older fighter will fight on their knees for all the rounds with best out of 5.

      I am especially concerned with he 2nd case as this can happen at smaller events. So does anyone have any comments or suggestions about the above? Thank you for you help/input

      YIS,
      Tamar
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 14, 2012
        Greetings Tamar,

        I realize that the tourney in question might have already happened and if so, I apologize for not returning my reply sooner. However, if it did happen, I would be interested in knowing what format you decided upon.

        When the YAC program first took root in Aquaterra there were only four youths competing and since they were all about the same age there was never really an issue of splitting them into separate divisions. However, when the concept of actually creating a Championship for the program, it was decided that only a Dragon level fighter could be named Champion as the title came with certain responsibilities /obligations. Of course, by that time, the four fighters were all Dragon Division so the decision made sense.

        Now, even though the program has grown to include youths from all divisions, the actual "Champion" is still only chosen from the Dragon Division. The tourney is still open to all three divisions and those youths from the other Divisions who are victorious in their own respective tourneys are recognized for their skill and prowess.

        Whenever I have older Divisions fight younger Division kids, I always explain to the older kids that these bouts do not count for or against their win / loss ratio and generally I expect the older kids to "take a dive" while at the same time making the younger ones work for the victory. The bottom line is to remember that they are still kids and this is supposed to be fun! I have never had any complaints from parents or even spectators when running things this way.

        Again, I apologize for responding so late to this question and I wish you luck with the tourney.

        YIS

        HL Jólgeirr Álarson

        YAC Kingdom Deputy

        mka Jordan Boswell