New Background Check Process Write Up

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2012

      Greetings to All,

      I realize this will not apply to all of those individuals who are members of this group but I am happy to announce that after some frustration, I believe we have a background check process which we can live with. It might not be perfect, but it does appear to be working; at least for now.

      So what does that have to do with you? Well, I am including it in this email so that if you are interested you can read it. And if you are not interested, then stop reading now and just delete this message as it is only going to become worse.

      So, decided to continue to read on anyway? Okay well all I was going to mention is that this “write up” should be considered a excerpt from the upcoming Marshallate Handbook, a publication that will be coming your way, hopefully, around May Crown 2012. However since the Handbook is not yet been completed and there are a number of individuals wanting to become YAC Marshals, I figured I should at least post this so all could read and ask questions if necessary.

      One more thing; besides including it in this email, I will also save it in the Files Section under Marshallate Info for easy reference in the future.

      And if you have any questions regard the content or if / how this new and improved process might affect you, please feel free to post them here.
      So without further ado, here it is:

      1.    The Background Check

      In addition to training and being a paid member of the SCA, all individuals residing in the United States who wish to become a member of the YAC Marshallate must pass a society background check. The privacy laws of Canada preclude Corpora's background checks of marshals living in Canada.

      For complete information regarding the Society’s Policy on Background Checks please refer to the following section on the Kingdom web site:

      Officer Listing & Officer Resources>>Seneschal>>Seneschalate Resources>>Background Check Process PDF or go to the following address:

      http://www.antir.sca.org/Offices/Seneschalate/Background_Checks_Process.pdf

      Now, in the case of An Tir, all background check authorization requests must come through the officer chain. In the case of the YAC program, this means only a Regional or Principality Deputy, (or the Kingdom Deputy), may request background checks for potential YAC Officers. If the Kingdom Background Deputy receives background requests from anyone other than these individuals, they will be ignored.

      Background check authorization requests are to be sent to: antir.backgroundcheck@...

      The actual process should occur like this:

      1)     One of the approved Principality or Regional Deputies is contacted about initiating a background check and is given the following information by the applicant:

      a.    Modern name;

      b.    SCA Name ;

      c.    Membership Number and expiration date;

      d.    Phone number;

      e.    Physical mailing address;

      f.     Email address;

      g.    Whether or not the person can print PDF files. (Yes or No).

      2)    The Principality or Regional Deputy then sends in the appropriate information to the Background Check Deputy via the proper email address – the Kingdom Deputy should be Carbon Copied on this request.

      3)    The candidate awaiting the back ground check can expect to receive these blank documents within 72 hours if capable of receiving and printing .pdf files; if the forms are sent via regular mail this process will take longer. If the candidate does not receive the blank forms within a week of making the request, then they should contact the Officer responsible for initializing the request.

      Please Note: Following the initial request for background check, any questions/inquiries regarding paperwork should be directed to the Kingdom Deputy in order to streamline communication with the Background Check Deputy.

      4)    Once the candidate sends the forms off to Corporate, he/she should inform the Officer responsible for initializing the request in order to establish a timeline for tracking the process of the documents if needed.

      Please Note: The background process can take anywhere from 30 to 45 days. If the candidate has not received any word from the corporate office 45 days after the paperwork was sent off, then he/she should contact both the Officer responsible for initializing the request and the Kingdom Deputy so inquiries can be made.

      5)    The candidate should then receive a letter from SCA Corporate informing them of the outcome of the background check process. Assuming the candidate passes, then he/she should contact both the Officer responsible for initializing the request and the Kingdom Deputy so that the rest of the Marshal authorization process can be completed.

      The candidate should make extra copies of the letter from corporate and place the original in a safe place. If the letter is ever lost or destroyed, the individual requesting a new letter will be responsible for contacting the SCA Corporate Office in person in order to receive a new copy.

      For those members of the Marshallate who already have a background check and are just looking to renew it, remember they are only good for two years, the process is quite similar.

      Within a month of when the current background check authorization is going to expire, the Marshal should receive notification of this fact from the SCA Corporate Office. This notification should include the standard two forms that must be completed to authorize the new check procedure. However, it is vital that before filling out the forms and sending them back to the Corporate Office, that you contact the appropriate Kingdom Officer, so that the Background Check Deputy can be notified of the need for a new authorization.

      Please Note: The Corporate Office will only send the authorization reminder letter and forms to the address they have on file, so make sure the appropriate Kingdom Officer is informed of any changes in contact information.

      Depending on where the Marshal lives, Region or Principality, the appropriate Kingdom Officer will also be responsible for sending out a reminder about the pending expiration. This is why it is important to keep them informed of your expiration date.

      However, in the end, it is ultimately the responsibility of the Marshal to be aware of when their authorization is due to expire and to make sure the renewal process is started before the old one expires.

      *******************************

      YIS

      HL Jólgeirr Álarson

      YAC Kingdom Deputy

      mka Jordan Boswell

      boshorde@...

      425-239-2269

    • Gerack Talmoor
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2012
        Funny I was just looking at renewing mine. If the check is going to take 30-45 days, shouldn't the paperwork for renewel go out earlier than a month? What happens if my check expires before the new one is completed, doesn't that mean I am not able to perform as a warden?

        Alasdair
        BAO warden

        May you always be worthy of your dreams.

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 5, 2012
          Alasdair bring up a good point, should we consider 90 or 60 days prior for renewing those who already have the background check so it will not lapse and have to shutdown our branches YAC program until the warden gets a current background check?

          Myrick the Bear
          Dragon's Laire Warden

          To: AnTirYAC@yahoogroups.com