Ursulmas 2012

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2012

      Greetings to All,

      As promised, I waited until after the 1st of the year before I started firing off emails asking for information but now………….all bets are off.

      Please be advised that I will be posting a number of general emails here and then following them up with similar messages to the FaceBook Group so for those of you who members of both please forgive the duplication. From there I will also be sensing out individual messages to a number of other individuals asking for specific information.

      Okay with the public service part of the message taken care of let us move on…..

      First up is the subject of Ursulmas.

      Who is coming? I have heard from a few of you already regarding your intentions but others I have not. I especially want to hear from those currently authorized as YAC Marshals whether you think you will make it or not.

      Still on the fence on whether to attend?

      Well maybe this will help you decide. In the first notice regarding the YAC activities I hinted at something happening after the doors closed to the public Saturday evening. Well, the Autocrats have planned something special to make hanging around after hours. There is going to be a live chess game and the official call is going out to all YAC fighters. We need sixteen (16) carded and legally armored YAC fighters to act as pawns and it does not matter what division they are in.

      But wait, there is more! This year I am teaming up with Torn of Froghaven to try and get the youth of the Kingdom back into archery. Torn is planning on bringing loaner equipment for youths and offering up archery workshops, (when the range is open), for those interested. Of course, the more the experienced youth archers are encourage participating (and assisting when needed). Torn and I will stay in contact throughout the weekend to ensure nobody misses out on any of the opportunities to have a good time.

      Now that you have been won over and decided that attending this Event is a great idea, you might want to think about pre-registering for it. As those who have attended in the past know, the line up at gate can get rather long on Saturday morning. So, use accepts, pre-register and you can walk right by all those jealous individuals standing in the cold.

      One of the other big attractions for Ursulmas is the wide variety of merchants who attend and I have heard that Tandy Leather is planning on having an area set up where they will be selling everything one needs for making leather armor for young fighters; from hides to rivets to dyes, even basic tools and all at discounted Event prices. Here is your chance to start the year off with supplies for your own local YAC Iron Key.

      Need basic information? Visit the site:  http://www.aquaterra.antir.sca.org/Ursulmas/

      Or contact me in whatever fashion you see fit…… but remember if using swallows choose one from the correct continent for this time of year and although always appreciated, the coconuts are optional.

      YIS

      HL Jólgeirr Álarson

      YAC Kingdom Deputy

      mka Jordan Boswell

      boshorde@...

    • Gabrielle Blaug
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 2, 2012
        Hi Jolgeirr:

        We look forward to seeing you there. I also wanted to mention that my son is an experienced youth archer ( I believe he is the highest senior youth score in An Tir). He would be happy to help with any youth who show up to shoot and we will try and bring some loaner gear. If you need a additional senior archery Marshall let me know as my roommate will be with us and he is a senior archery marshall.

        YIS,
        Tamar

        Sent from my iPad

[...]

      • Brad Thompson
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 4, 2012
          We plan on being there. I would be happy to volunteer for YAC. I have one issue I have to take care of our membership has expired.
          What time would you want us to show up?

          Sent from my Windows Phone

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 10, 2012

            Greetings Tamar,

            Extra help with the archery would be fantastic as I am still working on those details. Right now we will have a “youth” range set up with our Baronial Archery Champion supervising it and he would appreciate any help offered. My hope is that we can make this as entertaining of an Event for both the moderns as well as the SCAdians.

            By the way, I had written down on a "To Do" List somewhere to ask about your write up titled something like "Building armor on the cheap". Do you have an electronic copy which could be posted to the Yahoo Group or that you could send directly to me and then I could post it?

            It is a good reference document and I believe others would benefit from the information. Especially if we have some new people join following Ursulmas.

            Thanks for your help and we will see you in a couple of weeks.

            Jólgeirr/Jordan

          • talmoor@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 10, 2012
              Were you looking for prizes? I will not have a lot of free time at ursalmas but i could build some wooden mugs or small boxs.

              Alasdair

              Sent via DroidX2 on Verizon Wireless™

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 10, 2012
              • 1 Attachment
              • 33 KB
              Hi Jolgeirr:

              I posted it to the Yahoo group under Armor Construction and attached it to this email.  Let me know if you have any suggestions as I'd like to keep improving it.  See you at Ursalmas.

              Thanks
              Tamar

              On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 5:35 PM, Jordan Boswell <boshorde@...> wrote:

[...]

            • Jason Maiser
              Message 7 of 9 , Jan 27, 2012
                Jordan,

                Sarah, and I will be there tomorrow to help out with any YAC stuff.

                Cheers,

                Jason Maiser
                206-369-6667

                Message 8 of 9 , Feb 6, 2012

                  Greetings to All,

                  As always, I take one weekend off to have some fun and the emails just pile up. Not that I am complaining too much but it does not leave me enough time to wax poetically about the fun and exciting times had by all that attended Ursulmas this year.

                  So, instead of delaying this posting any longer I am just going to give a basic list of all the things that I can remember that made the weekend a rousing success. Of course, feel free to post any of your own comments since these might be a bit jaded, lol.

                  Seeing the unofficial YAC Banner flying proudly over the fighting erics. And I realize the powers that be might not ever allow it to become official but it for now (and always) it will have a home in Aquaterra. And yes, I will get a picture posted as soon as I can.

                  Having the lovely Lady Tamar, the Warden of Dragonsmist on site to help with ….. well everything! Marshaling, meet & greet activities and keeping an eye on all the crazy kids playing with the boffers, I mean Public Participation Weapons. Plus she brought along her son, the noble Terbish, who took home the price for most Chivalrous fighter in the Dragon Division.

                  Watching two more YAC Fighters graduate into the Heavy area. It especially brings a tear to my eye since one of them was Halldórr, my youngest and the last of the original four members of Aquaterra’s fledgling program. FYI: The Earl Marshal had high praise for these new graduates and gave us all kudos for such a great program. Oh and having his Majesty involved in the graduation ceremony. FYI: I will be starting another discussion regarding an official graduation scroll for the YAC program in the near future.

                  Having a number of local YAC parents help out with the Meet and Greet at the YAC/College of Pages Info area. I owe you all a great deal of thanks for volunteering your time to help out when things became complicated or I was not available to talk. And a special note of appreciation for Rich, (you know, we are going to have to start working on a period name…..), who showed up to work the shift he had volunteered for and then ended up working most of the rest of the day……..on both Saturday and Sunday!  You really helped make the Event successful.

                  Watching Halldórr enter the Bear Meat tourney, his first official as a Heavy Fighter, on Sunday and win more than he lost. I am thinking that with Loftr at his side, you old guys out there better watch out.

                  Meeting the programs Inlands Region YAC Deputy in the flesh, (I mean rather the just always talking via email – I mean really, get your minds out the gutter….this is a program for kids you know).  Seriously though, it was an unexpected surprise and indeed an honor when Roland Greene our IR Deputy just showed up at the YAC table and introduced himself. We even managed to have some quick conversations between all the activities. My hope for now is that I can visit with him at May Crown.

                  Watching the majority of the Dragon Fighters, (and one very brave Griffon) fight until exhaustion set in during the Sunday afternoon mixed weapons melee. One of the Knights, (I did not catch his name) stopped to watch and then stepped in to offer some words of wisdom.

                  Having numerous “business” related conversations with Kingdom Officers as we try to continue to build the program as well as work to make the various processes easier on all of us.

                  Having numerous people, (both SCAdain and mundane) stop by to ask questions about the YAC program.

                  Seeing the launch of the Aquaterra’s College of Pages 2.0 and a big thank you to the two lovely ladies who I was able to guilt into taking on the responsibility.

                  And that is just what I can remember. Like I said, feel free to add your own.

                  I will have Loftr post some of the pictures taken to the Yahoo page as well as the FB page, (hopefully during the next week).

                  And do not worry, I have not forgotten about the various conversations I had with various individuals and will be working to resolve all those issues as best I can.

                  YIS

                  HL Jólgeirr Álarson

                  YAC Kingdom Deputy

                  mka Jordan Boswell