Weapons Construction

  • RProwett
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 16, 2007
      Greetings and well met!

      I am Father to two aspiring Youth Armored Combatants.  One 12 and one 13.  I am comfortable with the armor requirements for this (having been a heavy Marshal for the better part of 18+ years), but someone was telling me that the PVC was no longer being used now that it is called Y.A.C.
      Is PVC per the An Tir Book of Boffer still in effect, or are they using a different materials now for weapon construction?  Both of my children are anxious to begin practicing, but we need weapons!! LOL

      Thank you for your time!

      Kerryk Wolfram
    • Jim
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 16, 2007
        You didn't mention where you're from, but An Tir YAC is in the process of
        rewriting its Youth Combat requirements and PVC or PEX can be used as
        proposed in the Draft (II). Although schedule 40 PVC (high pressure) is NOT
        allowed.
        Basically the Armoring standard is the same as heavy fighting with a few
        exceptions.
        YIS,
        Diel of Norwich,
        Barony of Audiantum,
        Youth Combat Marshal

        > I am Father to two aspiring Youth Armored Combatants. One 12 and one 13.
        > am comfortable with the armor requirements for this (having been a heavy
        > Marshal for the better part of 18+ years), but someone was telling me that
        > the PVC was no longer being used now that it is called Y.A.C.
        > Is PVC per the An Tir Book of Boffer still in effect, or are they using a
        > different materials now for weapon construction? Both of my children are
        > anxious to begin practicing, but we need weapons!! LOL
        >
        > Thank you for your time!
        >
        > Kerryk Wolfram

      • Matthew Mason
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 19, 2007
          PVC per the book of boffer is still good.  The new rules have not yet been released, but for now follow the guidlines as they are currently written.  What area are you from?  Mayhaps there is a local YAC marshal that can help you get your young fighters going?  Good Luck!!!!

          Mathias Geirson
          Housecarl to Sven Redbeard, Hersir of Blatha An Oir

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 19, 2007
            To answer the big question, I am in the Columbia gorge, in Hood River County, Oregon.  We are trying to start a new group out here, but we are in the fledgling stages at this time.  Both my kids are interested in fighting, they are a 13 year old boy and a 12 year old girl.  I was wondering what the devil is PEX?  I have never heard of it before...

            BTW, we are almost 60 miles from the nearest YAC practices, so not much hope of making them regularly at this time...
            YIS,
            Kerryk Wolfram

            RProwett <rprowett@...> wrote:
            Greetings and well met!

            I am Father to two aspiring Youth Armored Combatants.  One 12 and one 13.  I am comfortable with the armor requirements for this (having been a heavy Marshal for the better part of 18+ years), but someone was telling me that the PVC was no longer being used now that it is called Y.A.C.
            Is PVC per the An Tir Book of Boffer still in effect, or are they using a different materials now for weapon construction?  Both of my children are anxious to begin practicing, but we need weapons!! LOL

            Thank you for your time!

            Kerryk Wolfram

          • Daði Mánaskröggr Vébrandsson
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 20, 2007
              Hi!

              I hope you don't mind if I chime in here. Depending on what kind of
              armor the kids are using you might make different choices on sword
              construction. Many of the kids here in Aquaterra have steel helms.
              We have found that the 12+ age group using steel helms are starting
              to break swords that are made of PVC, and bend swords made of PEX.
              This is partly because we are teaching them proper technique (using
              of the hips etc), and partly because the construction is not super
              tough.

              PEX to answer your question is an alternative to PVC you can get at
              most hardware stores. What makes PEX good is that it bends before it
              breaks. You can even bend it back into shape aferward. :-)

              What we have taken to is using 3/4" Schedule 40 PVC, wrapped spirally
              with strapping tape to increase weight and stability. Then 1/2" or
              better 3/4" thick (3/8 is minimum) copper pipe insulation. There
              are a few different kinds you will see so I will try to describe
              specifically what I am talking about. It is black and more like
              foam rubber than the more common grey variety of open cell foam
              insulation. Then we wrap those in duct tape spirally but do NOT
              compress the foam. This gives you a nice solid weapon, that still
              has good padding to absorb shock when it hits the steel helms.

              Many folks have different ways they construct the YAC weapons. At
              Sport of Kings Jarl Ulfred & Magnus will have a host of classes one
              of which will be YAC weapon construction.

              For the younger age groups below 12, and the kids who play with
              ice/field hockey helmets, PVC/PEX and the lighter more common 3/8"
              pipe insulation works wonderfully.

              I hope this helps,

              Daði
              Senior YAC Marshal
              Aquaterra (Snohomish County, WA)

              --
              "All for one, and one for all!"

              -= Daði Mánaskröggr Vébrandsson
              MKA: Daniel
            • Matthew Mason
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 21, 2007
                PEX is another type of plastic tubing that should be able to be found at any Lowes or Home depot. It doesn't shatter like pvc can, but bends when overly stressed.  Look forward to hearing more from your group!!!!!

                Mathias

                RProwett <rprowett@gmail. com> wrote:
                Greetings and well met!

                I am Father to two aspiring Youth Armored Combatants.  One 12 and one 13.  I am comfortable with the armor requirements for this (having been a heavy Marshal for the better part of 18+ years), but someone was telling me that the PVC was no longer being used now that it is called Y.A.C.
                Is PVC per the An Tir Book of Boffer still in effect, or are they using a different materials now for weapon construction?  Both of my children are anxious to begin practicing, but we need weapons!! LOL

                Thank you for your time!

                Kerryk Wolfram

                Luggage? GPS? Comic books?