Parent/gardian

  • Morgaine Essex
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 22, 2010

      Greetings!

      I know we talked about this subject a while ago, but I thought I'd bring it up again. I may be wrong on this, and if I am, please correct me.

      It is my understanding that if a parent/gardian cannot attend an event (or a tourney at said event) then a desigante may be assigned by filling out the medical authorization for minors. Then that adult becomes the "guardian" of the minor.

      Am I correct?

      cheers

      In Service I Remain
      HL Morgaine Essex
      Barony of Seagirt
      Principality of Tir Righ
      Kingdom of An Tir

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 22, 2010
        Greetings My Lady,

        As far as the actual rules/laws do, I do not know.  So please, if somebody does know and knows where it is written, please let us know.

        However, this is how I run things at any of the Events I am MICing.  I mean the accepting of a designate in place of a parent.  In fact, there are a number of kids in our program that I have known for years, and if the parent cannot be there and gives me all the proper forms, then I take on the role of guardian for that Tourney or activity. (I try not to accept responsibility for a child for an entire Event, but that has rarely occurred).

        Of the number of those individuals I have spoken with in YAC programs across the Kingdom, this has been one of the biggest issues.  So, my hope is to work on making some of these rules a little less restrictive over the next few years, or if need be create loop holes to make the game easier.

        I will do some research myself, but I cannot promise how it might take to get some of these answers.

        YIS

        Lord Jólgeirr Álarson

        YAC Kingdom Deputy

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 22, 2010
          I know from my gate classes, the waiver must be filled out and signed by the parents, so it needs to be brought from home, it can not be filled out on sight, unless of course the parents are already there, like if they have to leave early or something.

          Youth Armored Combat Senior Marshal
          Member of the Order of the Crystal of the Barony of Glymm Mere

          http://www.facebook.com/blaine.hebert
          http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=149139248430504

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 22, 2010

            This is currently a major subject of discussion on the archery list.

            If you are bringing a minor (who is not yours – this includes siblings) to an event the parents need to fill out both the Minor’s Consent to Participate and Hold Harmless Agreement (2 copies, 1 remains with you, one stays at the gate) and the Medical Authorization for Minors (2 copies, 1 gets shown to the gate personnel and remains with you and 1 remains with the minor).

            If you wish to have another adult supervise your child during an activity that requires your presence once you have checked into an event, you may give them a (properly filled out) Medical Authorization Form (don’t forget to give one to your child also).   I did this at the archery range at Sept Crown with my oldest son as the substitute parent (I’m an exchequer and had business elsewhere).

            One final note on the medical authorization forms – don’t forget that you need to attach proof of identity (a copy of your driver’s license with everything except your name picture and signature blanked out works great).

            Marguerite – Leo’s mom

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 22, 2010
              That still brings up the ? of why do i need to fill out another form when my child has his or her blue card meaning that they have a waiver on file.

              Rowland Greene
              Gallant of Wastekeep
              Inlands YAC minister
               Cadet to Don Andrew Williams

              Your mind is like a parachute it only works when open

              To: AnTirYAC@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 23, 2010

                The first (Minor’s Consent to Participate and Hold Harmless Agreement ) you fill out showing that you are allowing another (non-parent/guardian) to have temporary custody of your child.

                The second (Medical Authorization for Minors), and to my mind the most important, allows emergency personnel (EMT’s) and emergency room personnel to treat your child in case of illness and/or injury if you are not there.

                It’s very similar to the permission slips you fill out for school field trips.

                Marguerite fitz William, JdL
                Exchequer, Barony of Aquaterra
                Courtier to Their Excellencies, Hauk and Rosamund of Aquaterra
                Motto: Et Hoc Quoque Transibit
                Or, a natural panther stantant contourney sable, on a chief invected vert, three plates

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 23, 2010
                  Greetings to the List;

                  Shortly after becoming Warden of Borealis, I was asked a similar question; "Can a non-guardian supervise my child in a youth armoured combat activity?" I read the ABYAC with specific reverence to definition of parent (I.A.5.), the role of the parent (I.B.1.), and parental consent (II.A.1.b.)

                  The Parent or legal guardian is responsible for the supervision, safety and well-being of their children participating in youth armoured combat. The medical waiver (04) gives a non-guardian permission to take responsibility for the medical requirements of the minor which assuredly supersedes mere safety and well-being.

                  In my opinion, the requirements of a parent present for a competitor could be met by a non-guardian with the combination of the medical waiver (04) and the event waiver (05) both signed by the parent and presented to the YACMIC prior to each activity. This would, of course, be above and beyond all other waivers involved in a given Event.

                  Now that we have an official Kingdom Deputy, I believe an 'official' answer would allow us all to streamline our activities and avoid any misunderstandings at inter-branch events.

                  Your Humble Servant;

                  Edmund Halliday
                  Warden of Borealis
                • edmundhalliday
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 25, 2010
                    Greetings to the list;

                    When we first started Youth Armoured Combat in Borealis a question was asked: "Can a non-guardian supervise my child in a youth armoured combat activity?" I have read the ABYAC with specific reverence to definition of parent (I.A.5.), the role of the parent (I.B.1.), and parental consent (II.A.1.b.)

                    The Parent or legal guardian is responsible for the supervision, safety and well-being of their children participating in youth armoured combat. The medical waiver (04) gives a non-guardian permission to take responsibility for the medical requirements of the minor which assuredly supersedes mere safety and well-being.

                    In my opinion, the requirements of a parent present for a competitor could be met by a non-guardian with the combination of the medical waiver (04) and the event waiver (05) both signed by the parent and presented to the YACMIC prior to each activity.

                    Could an officially ruling on this be added to the next copy of the Marshal's Handbook?

                    Your Humble Servant;

                    Edmund Halliday

                    Warden of Borealis
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 29, 2010

                      Greetings To All,

                      The paper work issue sounds like it is yet another issue that will be added to my master “To Do” list for the Kingdom Deputy position.  I hope that after a few years I have more to hand off to my successor than a list of unfinished projects and say something like, “it would be really great if you could get some of this settled…..”  Unfortunately, you will all have a good idea of what is on that list so I will have to seek out some other poor unsuspecting individual, LOL.  However, what is the old saying?  A journey of a thousand miles starts with one step.

                      Now in the time that I first started this email, I have had a number of distractions, (the start of school, Banner War, etc) and a few more emails have been posted regarding this subject.  It then took more time to review the new comments and suggestions and give me time to re-write this and post it.  So here goes.

                      I agree with Edmond’s comments.  To tell you the truth, I have not had the time to go back and read the ABYACs to see exactly which sections he is referring to, but it sounds pretty close to what I have done in the past with some of my fighters.  And yes, my plan was to add an official ruling to the Marshallate Handbook to put this item to rest.

                      Is this the best and most streamline way of doing things?  Maybe, maybe not, but we have to come up with some type of “process requirement” that we can all follow.  Then, if in the future, the majority of the group would still like to see changes made, then we can go back and re-visit this issue.

                      Remember though, due to the size of the organization and the levels of bureaucracy we are faced with, this will not be an easy issue to tackle.  I am not saying it should not be addressed, just that it will take time to reach an agreement with corporate and the Kingdom, (if one can be reached at all), to make the entire process more streamline.

                      Keep in mind we are still looking for the best solution to this issue.  If anybody else has suggestions or information or even stories of what they have been told by Officers regarding the various youth issues, by all means please tell us.

                      YIS

                      Lord Jólgeirr Álarson

                      YAC Kingdom Deputy