September Crown Agenda

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 9, 2010
      Greetings To All,

      So, I mentioned in my reply to Ursula that I was working on an agenda for the Unofficial YAC Meeting I wanted to hold at September Crown.  And seeing that it is already the beginning of August, I thought I had better get something sent out to give everyone time to review and comment on.

      Now as you read over this list, please keep in mind that I do not know the answers to some of these items and am currently looking for someone to fill in the blank.  So, if you know or can suggest something, please feel free to post a reply to the group informing all of the new info.  I can then keep updating the Agenda until we actually meet. Or feel free to contact me directly with comments and suggestions.

      Speaking of which, can we get a show of hands, okay maybe just responding emails, confirming who will or will not be at September Crown.  Even a definite maybe would help me get an idea of who all might be there.  That way we could start planning an actual day and time.

      Now I was not sure if I could simply attach a word document to this email and then have it accessible on the Yahoo Group.  Therefore, I have attached it and also just copied and posted it below.  Please forgive any of the formatting which might have been eliminated when that happened.

      Agenda for Sept. Crown Meeting

      1.  Putting people into Place

                      a. Need to appoint a YAC Kingdom Marshal (need approvals, complete paperwork)

                      b. Need to identify, and where necessary, find & appoint Ministers of YAC (also known as the regional & principality marshals.

        Please Note:  A couple of issues to address here.  First - I thought there was a push to get away from using the term Ministers to describe Officers due to its religious connotations.  Second – I am unsure if we have anybody actually filling these positions, except for Lord Evenon as our    Western Regional Deputy.  So if anybody could fill in the blanks, it would be greatly appreciated. For example, do we have any other Regional Marshals or Marshals for the different principalities?

                      c. Need to have a list of all the current acting Wardens for An Tir

                  Need input from all regarding names & contact info; we could then start a master list, maybe organized by Principalities.

      2.  VIP Projects (to complete)

                      a. Marshallate Handbook

      b. YAC Badge / Belt favor

                      c.  Official Kingdom Web Site

      3.  Weapon Discussion

                       a. Types & designs

                                      great swords, glaves/halberds, axes, 1 handed spears, daggers

                       b. Materials being used

                                      Construction based upon division

                                      Yoga mat vs pipe insulation

                                      Ball hitch covers vs nylon strapping

                      c. Return of the Boffer

                                      Reasons for resurrection

                                      Design & construction

                                      Javelins for fun

      4.  Promoting the Program

                      a. YAC Tournaments at Crown/Kingdom/Coronet Level Events throughout Year where and when applicable.  Would include but not limited to the following;

                                      May Crown,  An Tir / West War, July Coronation, September Crown

                                      Would need to add more to this list.

                      b. Court

                                      Ceremony for Changes in Division / Graduation from program

                      c. Create list of other annual Events in your area where YAC activities will occur

                                      See example list for Barony of Aquaterra

                      d. Attend public demos where and when available in your area

      5.  General Issues / Suggestions

                      a. Generating feedback from the activities

                                      Currently using informal questionnaire to try & improve program

    • ursula_f0wler
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 11, 2010
        Greetings Jólgeirr,

        Your agenda looks pretty good. I had a couple of questions and comments. Sorry to be rather long winded.

        What is "Ball hitch covers vs nylon strapping" this is something we haven't been using in sword construction. I've made and taught the making of YAC swords in my area and we aren't using either of these things. My swords construction notes are in the files section if you have any questions about how I make swords. I have pictures posted of my swords in the photos section here.

        On the pipe foam issue, one thing I do when Thora and I teach my sword construction class, is I bring out the old pipe foam from one of Thora's old swords so folks can see how the pipe foam breaks down and it becomes an ugly network of cracks that doesn't do whats needed with cushioning, and shock absorbing, without excessive compression. Personally I'd like to see pipe foam swords no longer allowed, and see the standard for foam on swords be moved from 3/8 inch closed cell foam to 1/2 inch high density closed cell foam. My reasons are that a 3/4 inch piece of rattan with 1/2 inch foam wrapped around it and all the tape to make it hold together makes a 2 inch diameter tip on a sword. So it doesn't require making a bulbous tip on the end to get the thrusting tip to legal size. Since bulbous tips tend to break off, that doesn't seem the best construction method. Bulbous tips usually weigh more than integrated tips, and can rebalance the weapon from a sword to a mass weapon.

        Low density closed cell foam is like pool noodles and tends to crack when used for YAC combat, and high density closed cell foam is like camping and yoga mat, and it resists breaking down quite well.

        Using a 1/2 HDCC foam standard would make AnTir swords very similar to Atenvelt whose rules we used as a template for AnTir's YAC sword rules. Going 1/2 inch foam would mean YAC combatants from AnTir can use their AnTir swords at Estrella War.

        On " Return of the Boffer" I thought corpora had asked us to not use the word "boffer" because it has sexual connotations in some regions. I personally don't mind the word, so beyond that language issue, what is that about?

        On "Construction based upon division" the only difference in my swords between divisions is I make them shorter for the younger kids. Is there some other way to make them differently for the different divisions?

        Something that might be added is that we should be working on a weapons and armour construction guide. One of the things we probably need most is a guide for modifying hockey helms to legal YAC helms. It's one of the most frequently asked questions I deal with, but it really isn't my forte.

        One thing I don't know how to address, but it falls under promoting the program, is how to help autocrats scheduling YAC tourneys to be sure and schedule them at a time when they will get some notice. For example Dragons Mist Defenders Tourney is happening Aug 20-22 the only scheduled event on Sunday is the YAC tourney. Most people will want to be putting the Erics away when the tourney is scheduled. People coming to events with kids usually just want to pack up and go home Sunday morning like most everyone else in camp. Putting the YAC tourney Sunday morning is insuring that it will have very low attendance, and for day trippers it pretty much ruins it. So far the main ways I can think of avoiding this is if the YACMIC tells the autocrat when they confirm they will MIC, that they insist the YAC tourney should happen near the time the heavy tourney is happening. Another way might be to get a King to decree YAC tourneys should happen when the populace will see them, near heavy tourney times, and hope it becomes tradition before the next King. Anyone want to try to sweet talk King Tiernan?

        I think our strongest promotional tool is to have our tourneys seen, putting them on Sunday (or pack up and go home day) is saying that YAC isn't as important as the rest of SCA activities, which is not the right message to send the next generation of SCA combatants, if anything it's downright discouraging.

        I am not sure if I will be able to go to September Crown. My husband will be finishing his degree in the next few weeks, and it's making havoc with any commitments I want to make.

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 12, 2010
          Greetings Ursula,

          Do not be concerned about the length of your email. The purpose of my posting the agenda was to get people talking, so thank you for replying.  Also, I suppose I could have explained myself a little better when it came to some of these subjects. As my kids would say; my bad.  :)
          I was trying to get people motivated.

          I really do hope you are able to make it up for Crown because it would be an honor to meet you.  If not, then there is always SoK in 2012 (if the Gods will allow).

          However, as I started to reply, I realized that my email could turn into a true epic, so I have decided to spit this up into smaller points. The subjects will jump around a bit, but in the end I hope it addresses all the items you commented/questioned.

          But, before we start there were a couple of short items I thought I would respond to.  I agree with you regarding the weapons and armour construction guide and will add that to the agenda.

          Scheduling YAC Tourneys is another one of those issues that will have to be worked out over time. Something that would probably have to be handled by the YAC Kingdom Deputy, whomever takes Hallgim's place. Right now, I make arrangements with the Autocrats for each Event to ensure YAC happens and then try and put in-between Heavy activities or late in the afternoon on Saturday.

          Also, I really do need to go back and review your sword making instructions, so I will wait and address the questions on the swords later.

          How about we start with Boffers.  Yes, that term is indeed on "the words not to use for the public" list.  I am still using it, sparingly of course, to make sure long term SCAndians, another term we are not supposed to use, understand what I am referring to.  Find below my explanation.  Again sorry about the changes in font.  Gmail does not liek it when I write something up in word and then transfer it over.

          This is just an idea that I came up with that I wanted to share with the group.  This does not need to be implemented Kingdom wide or be written up as an official decree.

          I have resurrected the concept of the old “boffer” style weapon, made out of pool noodle and blessed or cursed with a new name, although I am not so sure it is any better than boffer.  The idea is to create a safe but fun alternative for any and all participants to use without the fear of anybody getting seriously hurt.

          There have been a number of Events where a number of untrained and unarmored youths have started to use the YAC swords to “play” either in one of the Eriks or around the camp site.  Although these activities are generally supervised by adults or older YAC Students and although no injuries have ever occurred, the potential existed due to the material make up of the weapons being used.

          The design is fairly simple but a little bit more than just giving the participants a section of pool noodle and allowing them to beat on each other with it.  Following a similar design as the current YAC sword, the pool noodle sword would consist of a small diameter pool noodle, 2 ¼” diameter and inserting a short section of ¾” Pex, (a stronger and more flexible type of PVC), through the center.  The Pex will be wrapped in strapping tape and both ends will be capped just like when it was used for the original YAC swords.  Please Note:  The reason to use the Pex is it is cheaper than rattan and due to the use of pool noodle won’t have the tendency to break since it will not be used against metal or hardened leather armor.  There will be a section of pipe exposed for a hilt but the bottom section will be designed like a normal YAC sword, with the end of the sword wrapped.  The entire sword will be wrapped in duct tape to prevent the pool noodle from being torn up and we should see a few years of life from each sword.

          The main use of the sword will be at Demos, where kids want to come try out “combat”.  We can have regular fights between our armored YAC members, and then we can invite the public out and let them slap each other around with the pool noodle swords.  If kids really want to try on armor and see what the fighting is all about, then they would have to come to a practice.  These swords would also be available at Events for the general young SCAdians to run around and have fun with.  The YAC weapons will only be handled by carded fighters.

          I have also decorated the swords I have made up with the Baronial colors so they will not be confused if anybody else makes a similar weapon.

          After making a dozen of these swords, they average out at $4.00 a piece.

          And finally the name.  Since we cannot use Boffers and Pool Noodle sounds too wimpy, it has been decided to go with what our Seneschal nicknamed them; PPWs – Public Participation Weapons.

          Now I will cover more of the other subjects later and look forward to hearing how things went at Autumn War.  That is a hint for some of are other Yahoo group members to give us an update.

          IS

          Jólgeirr/Jordan