RE: [AnTirYAC] !2th Night YAC meeting Notes...

  • Evenon de Remy
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2010

      Greetings unto the HL Morgaine!

          I am not sure on the Canada shipping thing, but this is where we order ours from: http://franksupply.com/rattan_poles.html#rattanwithskin.   If you have not called them, I would recommend a quick ring.  They were very nice and perhaps they can ship it to you.

      As for the fighters moving from YAC to Heavy, being a part of the re-write process I know that the intention was “Once you get carded for heavy you can’t go back”.   The problem is I just scanned the YABC and did not see that written.  Perhaps we do need to fix that, or I am blind. J    I will check more thoroughly later today.

      Thanks again to zee provider of the notes.

      HL Evenon de Remy

      (The artist previously known as Daði)

      Western Region YAC Deputy

      From: hljpcolbert@...
      Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 15:19:29 -0800
      Subject: [AnTirYAC] !2th Night YAC meeting Notes...

      For those of you unable to attend the Round Table Meeting for Youth Armored Combat, I took notes.  Sorry, I did not write everyones name down on who brought what topics up for discussion, my bad.

      Youth Armored Combat Meeting at 12th Night

      1/09/2010 1 PM

      Lord Jean-Pierre Colbert Reporting

      (Title?) Barrich (Spelling?) led the meeting in Halgrim’s absence.

      One of the biggest problems we have been having with YAC marshals is getting the background checks done. Barrich who has an in with the Kingdom Seneschal will check with him/her on how we can make the process easier.

      Canadian Citizens are still not required to have a back ground check, some people where unsure why that is, and they where informed it has to do with information sharing policies between international agencies, mainly Canadian agencies are not required to share information on their citizens with agencies in different countries. Since SCA.Inc uses an American based country for their background checks, they are unable to get a background check run on Canadian members. The possibility of having a separate Canadian run agency used to run Canadian background checks. So will have to pass that suggestion up the line to Sir Daniel and the Kingdom Seneschal.

      It was discussed that there was great concern over 16 and 17 year olds who fight both Senior and Youth Armored Combat present an unintentional danger due to different fighting styles between the two disciplines. They tend to hit and gauge hits harder than normally encouraged in YAC, and the varying weights in the weapons can also be hard to adjust back and forth from. It was decided once a Youth Combatant enters their first listed Senior tournament or Senior war, they have graduated to Senior Armored Combat, you can even make a ceremony out of it, and make it a really big deal that they are graduating, moving up the line.

      Concerning 3/4“ rattan, it was determined that it is only safe when the stick retains it skins. When the skin is shaved off, it looses alot of its durability and are more prone to snapping, one person experienced a snap in one of these the first time they used it. So those of us who are shaving down 1-1/4“ rattan sticks down to 3/4“ sticks need to redo our weapons to use skin on rattan (myself included).

      Also on weapon construction, do not use Funnoodles or pipe insulation foam, they break down too easily. Blue foam camp pads found in the camping section in Wal-marts make the best foam. Check the foams integrity after each fight, with the heavier armor and shields than we used to use the weapons take a greater beating, and can break down alot quicker. Metal from shields and helms tends to tear the foam more often than plastic. Check for “sweet spots” on the weapon where the foam is breaking down faster than the rest of the weapon.

      It was suggested that we cover our weapons with removable cloth coverings to better facilitate weapon checks and repairs.

      Another concern brought up was the tendency of thrusting tips to come off easier since they are not supported by the rattan. One suggestion was to do as the Senior fighters do and tool dip the thrusting tips. This needs to be tried out and someone report on it before we can say to do it definitively.

      Another topic of discussion is working with our Baronies, Shires, Principalities, etc, to get the Youth Combatants involved in the Barony, etc, as well as to get our Baronies, etc. involved in our YAC programs as well. If they don’t already talk to your group about having a YAC Champion, or even a YAC Seargentry. Get your Local fighters to mentor the young fighters and participate in the YAC Practices, maybe have a rotating guest instructor, each week a different fighter comes to help out with the practices and teach them what he has learned.

      Hallgrim is looking for a replacement. If anyone is interested, please contact Hallgrim or Sir Daniel.

      Youth Armored Combat Senior Marshal

      Windows Live Messenger makes it easier to stay in touch – learn how!

    • Morgaine Essex
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 3, 2010
        Thank you HL Evenon de Remy!

        I will indeed give them a ring and see what happens :)

        I was part of that re-write process myself and I remember the intention as well (not to be able to go back once you've gone up a division); and that is what I have been telling our young fighters here. I've done a search of the ABYAC and I can't find it either. I think we need to address the issue.

        cheers

        In Service I Remain
        HL Morgaine Essex
        Barony of Seagirt
        Principality of Tir Righ
        Kingdom of An Tir

        To: AnTirYAC@yahoogroups.com; gm_yac@yahoogroups.com

        From: hljpcolbert@ yahoo.com
        Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 15:19:29 -0800

[...]

        myspace.com/ jpcolbert

        Windows Live Messenger makes it easier to stay in touch – learn how!

        Not using Hotmail on your phone? Why not? Get it now.
      • ursula_f0wler
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 4, 2010
          I noticed that the "once a carded heavy, no going back" rule was missing too, I looked for it in the '08 YAC rules. It is in the rules before '08, but it didn't make it into the new rules, so I think this is something that needs to be memo-ed in.

          I'd like to second Franks Supply, they have been great to work with.

          Ursula

          --- In AnTirYAC@yahoogroups.com, "Evenon de Remy" <dan@...> wrote:

          > Greetings unto the HL Morgaine!
          >

          > I am not sure on the Canada shipping thing, but this is where we order
          > ours from: http://franksupply.com/rattan_poles.html#rattanwithskin. If you
          > have not called them, I would recommend a quick ring. They were very nice
          > and perhaps they can ship it to you.
          >

          > As for the fighters moving from YAC to Heavy, being a part of the re-write
          > process I know that the intention was "Once you get carded for heavy you
          > can't go back". The problem is I just scanned the YABC and did not see
          > that written. Perhaps we do need to fix that, or I am blind. J I will
          > check more thoroughly later today.
          >

          > Thanks again to zee provider of the notes.
          >

          > HL Evenon de Remy
          >
          > (The artist previously known as Daði)
          >
          > Western Region YAC Deputy

        • Morgaine Essex
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 23, 2010
            Greetings all!

            I will be running a Youth Combat Tourney at Daffodil in Seagirt on March 13th. I am looking for some marshals to help out if anyone can make it.

            The format will depend on how many combatants we have, so the more the merrier!

            The event website is constantly being updated so check often for updates.

            http://www.members.shaw.ca/daffodil/

            cheers

            In Service I Remain
            HL Morgaine Essex
            Barony of Seagirt
            Principality of Tir Righ
            Kingdom of An Tir

            All your Hotmail contacts on your phone. Try it now.