Breaking swords!

  • Daði Mánaskröggr Vébrandsson
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2007

          Greetings all!

      Daði Mánaskröggr here, Senior YAC Marshal for Aquaterra.

          We have been having problems with some of the older kids breaking swords a lot.  Many of the young people in our group have made hardened leather armor, and have steel helms now.  This, along with the proper training of how to swing using their hips instead of their wrists/arms has led to a bit more power and cleaner shots.  The downside of this is that many of the swords that we have constructed using the currently posted YAC rules have not stood up to the test.  Sometimes we will break 2 or more swords in a practice.  I have found that the PEX swords I have made stand up much better, but lack the weight to encourage good fighting habits.

      Do any of you have similar problems?

      What are your thoughts on steel helms?

          I am currently prototyping some different sword creation techniques.  Here are some of the ideas that have been tossed around between various folks in our barony:

      1)      Spiral wrap the foam in strapping tape.  This would of course not be done in a way that compresses the foam.

      2)      Use thicker foam (more than the 3/8 in. called for in the current rules).

      3)      Cloth wrapping of the foam as suggested in the current rules.

      4)      Using a more rigid material instead of PVC or PEX for the upper age category only.

      Anyone have other ideas?

      Cheers,

      Daði

    • Jim
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2007
        MLord:
        Here in Adiantum, we use the current rules, but we use the foam pipe wrap to
        wrap the blades. We use the stuff designed for 1/4 inch pipe and then cover
        that with the foam for 2" pipe.
        Also, using the pex and putting PVC caps on the ends of pipes. The caps have
        to be scraped out to fit, but a dermal tool works wonders.
        Other than that, I'm fresh out of ideas.

        YIS,
        Diel of Norwich

[...]

          May the Force be with you, always.

          Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.