Youth Armoured Combat Marshallate Handbook

  • hallgrim@greathall.org
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 30, 2009

      Greetings All:

      It’s time to start writing the Youth Armoured Combat Marshallate Handbook.  I hope that we have some folks here on the list that are willing to help me tackle this project.  My plan is to come up with a draft in the next couple weeks, present it to the list, and go through it much like we did the combat book.

      The book is a policy guide for marshals so that marshals know when paperwork is needed, who it is to be sent to, etc.  Also, in there we need to come up with suggested language for YAC advancements to go in this as well.  So if there are any poets out there -- let’s have those suggestions.  There are four occasions that I can think of that deserve recognition: [1] authorization as a fighter whether a lion, griffin, or dragon; [2] advancement to griffin; [3] advancement to dragon; and [4] graduation from the program.

      Also, the program has to interface with OOP folks so that YAC champions can be recognized online.  We will want to have procedures spelled out for that.

      Finally, I will also be starting work on the YAC Equipment Construction Guide.  Hopefully, this will help parents get there young ones in armor a little quicker.

      Hallgrim

    • sabletheblack
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2009
        Greetings Hallgrim,

        I look forward to helping on these. Let me know if any of my copywriting skills can be of assistance. Do you think we can have a draft of the marshalling handbook before Sport of Kings so that I can allude to any of the high points in the classes?

        Sebastiaen "Sable" desRoseaux
        YAC Warden, Three Mountains
        MKA
        David Hemmer
        jaltona73@...
      • hallgrim@greathall.org
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 3, 2009

          Hi Sebastiaen:

          Yah I think I am going to have the first draft out around August 10th.  Normally, my writings are pretty rough the first go round because I am a terrible proof-reader.  J

          Hallgrim

          I look forward to helping on these. Let me know if any of my copywriting skills can be of assistance. Do you think we can have a draft of the marshalling handbook before Sport of Kings so that I can allude to any of the high points in the classes?

          Sebastiaen "Sable" desRoseaux
          YAC Warden, Three Mountains
          MKA
          David Hemmer
          jaltona73@...

        • ursula_of_fowlkeep
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 5, 2009
            Hi Hallgrim,

            I'm not a marshal, but I am willing to help.

            Ursula

          • hallgrim@greathall.org
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 5, 2009

              Great, I need all the proofreading help I can get!

              Hallgrim

              I'm not a marshal, but I am willing to help.

              Ursula

              --- In AnTirYAC@yahoogroups.com, <hallgrim@...> wrote:

              > Greetings All:
              >

              > It's time to start writing the Youth Armoured Combat Marshallate Handbook.
              > I hope that we have some folks here on the list that are willing to help
              me
              > tackle this project. My plan is to come up with a draft in the next couple
              > weeks, present it to the list, and go through it much like we did the
              combat
              > book.
              >

              > The book is a policy guide for marshals so that marshals know when
              paperwork
              > is needed, who it is to be sent to, etc. Also, in there we need to come up
              > with suggested language for YAC advancements to go in this as well. So if
              > there are any poets out there -- let's have those suggestions. There are
              > four occasions that I can think of that deserve recognition: [1]
              > authorization as a fighter whether a lion, griffin, or dragon; [2]
              > advancement to griffin; [3] advancement to dragon; and [4] graduation from
              > the program.
              >

              > Also, the program has to interface with OOP folks so that YAC champions
              can
              > be recognized online. We will want to have procedures spelled out for that.
              >

              > Finally, I will also be starting work on the YAC Equipment Construction
              > Guide. Hopefully, this will help parents get there young ones in armor a
              > little quicker.
              >

              > Hallgrim

            • sabletheblack
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 5, 2009
                I have experience writing and I have a knack for proof reading copy. Just send me what you have when you have it and I will be glad to assist.

                Sable

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 5, 2009
                  Ditto

                  Youth Armored Combat Warden for the Barony of Glymm Mere

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 7, 2009
                    Greetings & Well Met Ursula,

                    As you can see, I am not much better at returning emails.  My mundane life also has a nasty habit of interfering with my quest to actually enjoy life.

                    I am in a similar situation, both my boys are fighters yet I am not.  When we first became involved in the society, my excuse for not armoring up was simple.  My boys needed to be set up in armor & having fun before I pursued my own glory.  Now, roughly five years later, my boys continue to perfect their armor & enjoy themselves immensely.  I on the other hand, find myself with a permanently damaged right hand which prevents me from swinging a sword properly.  Although I am a junior marshal & when possible spar with the kids - it gives them a sense of accomplishment to beat up on their old man.  Of course there are a number of fighters who are willing to teach me to fight left handed because I can still hold a shield in my right hand …………

                    I am truly sorry that I will not be able to attend Sport of Kings.  I have heard it is a fantastic Event.  Therefore, I have promised my sons that it will be placed on the calendar for 2011.  (Of course, by then, they will both be heavy fighters.)
                    Due to my responsibilities in life I must pick & chose those Events which I will be able to attend during the year.  Usually this occurs in January for the following year & once I commit, it is hard to change.  It doesn’t help that my lady does not play & has no interest in doing so.  She does her best to support us though, or maybe the right terminology would be “puts up with us”.

                    It would be most interesting to start a dialog on weapons construction.  I am currently on my 4th or 5th revision of sword construction & have been experimenting with different materials & well as design concepts.  Although the switch from PVC to rattan has helped greatly, it has also offered its own set of challenges.

                    In a couple weeks I am hosting a weapons/armor making workshop at my house to help new people in our group get started as well as re-stock the Baronial YAC Armory.  If I am organized enough I will take notes, & possible pictures, to post on the site for comments and suggestions.  Hopefully, input from everybody on the list will make it easier for Hallgrim to write that section of the new handbook.

                    I will work harder at trying to supply input to the yahoo group & look forward to future conversations & eventually a face to face meeting.

                    YIS
                    Jolgeirr
                    YAC Warden for Barony of Aquaterra

                    On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 8:15 AM, ursula_of_fowlkeep <solem_atrum@...> wrote:

                    Greetings Jolgeirr,

                    I am Ursula, I've been involved in YAC for 4 years now, my daughter started fighting when she was 10. I am what is known as a Non-fighting parent(NFP), for I don't fight and I'm not a marshal, and the term comes up on occasion here.

                    Sorry to be such a slow coach about replying, but I had some really pressing mundane issues that needed to be resolved over the past couple of weeks. Fortunately I've got that all sorted out, so I can finally return my attention to everything else.

                    Barony of Three Mountains, my home branch, has always had YAC practice during heavy practice on Monday evenings. 3M's YAC Warden, Sable, has younger kids, and he is trying to sort out some YAC only practices so his younger kids can fight at a better time for their age. One thing I like about YAC practice and heavy practice together is for the older kids they get to work with knights and other experienced fighters, which since my daughter is 14 now, will help her transition to heavy combat at 16 or 17.

                    I am doing a sword making demo at Sport of Kings, and I would love to see your notes on sword construction. I make nice swords, but it is always good to know what other folks are doing, and in the context of a demo, the more info I have, the better to answer questions with.

                    I'm sorry you won't be at Sport of Kings this year, there is usually a good turn out for the YAC tourney. Plus you would be most welcome to join me at the sword making demo.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 10, 2009

                      Hi All:

                      I just posted the first draft of the Marshallate Handbook in the files section.  I am opening up the floor for comments.  My biggest concern at this point is whether it is organized, and what other topics that need to be included.  Later, as the scope of the entire project gets formed, then we will go through section by section to make sure we have something that makes sense.

                      We will close for initial comments next Monday August 17th, I will draft accordingly, and hopefully have a second draft out before the following Monday.

                      Hallgrim

                    • sunny4trina
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 8, 2009
                        Greetings Jolgeirr,
                        I'm new to YAC as my 8 yr old would like to start participating. We spent most our time in pied piper sort of activities but now all the kids in our camp ever do if boffing. Unfortunately we live in the barony of Madrone, which has no youth activities. We attend many events both in Blath an Oir and Aquaterra so we are hoping to join some of your activities. Some of the kids in our household live in Blath an Oir.
                        At this point I'm just not sure where to start. Making a suitable sword and armor will be our goals for this winter.
                        I don't see anything on this site's calendar or in the files yet but I'll be excited to see what gets uploaded as you find time to do so.

                        Sarah

                        ***SNIP****

                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 9, 2009
                          Greetings Sarah & Well Met,

                          I must apologize.   I had all these great plans & made these wonderful boasts and then mundane life came & beat me up.  I have not even started some of those tasks I so planned on completing this year.  Such is life.

                          However, if you would like, I could add you to my YAC emailing list.  I send out a frequent update informing all of upcoming Events, practices, meetings & other issues related to the SCA & the YAC program in Aquaterra. My intention is to eventually start posting many of these announcements to the different web sites ……… but we can all see how successful that has been.

                          Anyways, let’s get down to business.

                          If you haven’t already, you should download a copy of the An Tir Book of Youth Armoured Combat, (ABYAC).  It can be found on the Kingdom website in the Library section.

                          Now, the Barony of Madrone covers a large area, so I don’t know how far you want to travel for just an afternoon activity.  However, that said, we will be holding a practice this Sunday, 9/13, in Everett, from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm.  If you would be interested in attending, we could meet & discuss the program.  I will also bring our loaner armor, so we could see if we have anything that will fit.  For the record, I also carry a number of spare copies of the ABYAC with me in case you aren’t able to get one by then.

                          The next Event in Aquaterra will be Banner War, held the weekend 9/25 thru 9/27, in Granite Falls.  There will be a YAC Tournament Saturday night, but I don’t know if your son would be ready to participate.  However, if you are planning on attending, we might be able to arrange something.

                          After that, the rains return to our area and we begin to hunker down for the long winter.  I plan on holding practice twice a month in Everett, (we have a covered area), and hold at least one weapon / armor making party – the location to be decided later on.  From there, we will start preparing for Ursulmus, Aquaterra’s grand public Event held the end of January.

                          If you have further questions, you can also email me directly at boshorde@gmail .com.  I look forward to meeting you & having a new warrior join the fighting ranks of An Tir.

                          YIS

                          Jolgeirr

                          On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 11:49 AM, sunny4trina <sarah@...> wrote:

                          Greetings Jolgeirr,
                          I'm new to YAC as my 8 yr old would like to start participating. We spent most our time in pied piper sort of activities but now all the kids in our camp ever do if boffing. Unfortunately we live in the barony of Madrone, which has no youth activities. We attend many events both in Blath an Oir and Aquaterra so we are hoping to join some of your activities. Some of the kids in our household live in Blath an Oir.
                          At this point I'm just not sure where to start. Making a suitable sword and armor will be our goals for this winter.
                          I don't see anything on this site's calendar or in the files yet but I'll be excited to see what gets uploaded as you find time to do so.

                          Sarah

                          --- In AnTirYAC@yahoogroups.com, "boshorde" <boshorde@...> wrote:

                          > Greetings to All,
                          >

                          > First let me introduce myself, my name is Jolgeirr (no last name yet –mundane name is Jordan Boswell), and I have taken over the position of YAC Warden for the Barony of Aquaterra from Daði. I have two sons in the program, ages 14 & 16, although obviously one will be moving up to fight Heavy by January of next year.

                          ***SNIP****

                          > One last thing, I had hopes of traveling south this year to attend some of the big Events and meet some of you in person, but alas mundane life is doing it's best to prevent those plans.
                          >
                          > YIS
                          > Jolgeirr
                          > YAC Warden for the Barony of Aquaterra

                        • lady_mericke
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 5, 2011
                            Greetings to the list,

                            I am THL Mericke de Ross, mother of Makenzie of Midhaven. She has been fighting since she was 4. Unfortunately (or fortunately) there are no other children fighting here in the Shire of Midhaven. So she has been taught by the heavy fighters here in the shire. She chooses to fight florentine. She is the page of Duchess Angharad Banadaspus Drakenhefd.

                            My husband and I autocratted Midhaven champions/Emprise of the Sable Rose a couple of weekends ago and there are photos of the YAC combatants with King Skeggi located at www.flickr.com/photos/thewakingdragon

                            Enjoy,

                            TH Lady Mericke de Ross
                            Protege', Lady in Waiting and sworn into fealty to Duchess Angharad banadaspus Drakenhefd, OP
                            Herald, Midhaven
                            Autocrat, Midhaven Champions/Emprise of the Sable Rose
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 10, 2011
                              Greetings HL Mericke,

                              Thank you so much for joining the list and introducing yourself. I am trying to get everyone to do this but I think it has something to do with heavy fighters and repeated blows to the head. I will also use this opportunity to remind all of those out there, especially those considered officers, to please post their Bio to the Files section of this page so that everyone knows who they are. The ones up there are feeling lonely......

                              As far as the Event went, thank you so much for being such a gracious host and making us all feel welcome. This turned out to be one of the most memorable Events this year. From pictures with King Skeggi, to having the thrill of introducing four new fighters to the joy of YAC. Also, thank you for posting your pictures, I think we need to change the requirements of YAC to having an official photographer as part of the staff so others can appreciate the humor and excitement behind the kids activities.

                              I realize this is note is overdue and we will be seeing each other at July Coronation, WHICH IS NEXT WEEKEND - sorry blatant advertising, but I did want to post a reply.

                              YIS

                              Lord Jólgeirr Álarson

                              YAC Kingdom Deputy