Questions about Sport of Kings

  • sabletheblack
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 3, 2009
      So I was approached at the last Baronial meeting about developing a youth track for Sport of Kings. Anyone wanna help start a dialogue on creating that program? I would be a great to get some help on this and even pick up a prospective instructor since, Heaven knows I don't know if I am up to doing all of it.

      Sebastiaen "Sable" desRoseaux
      aka
      David Hemmer
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 3, 2009
        I am a Senior YAC Marshal, but only intermediate fighter, so make a fine marshal, but not so great trainer.  If you need someone to help with developing a safe and legal program, I can help you, but if you need someone to help come up with a training curiculum, I can help out with the basics, but you might want to find someone with more experience.

        Youth Armored Combat Warden for the Barony of Glymm Mere

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 3, 2009
          Well at this time, since our program is just starting out again, we are looking at a limited track. I have no problem working with either the parents or the kids, but I can not do it all alone. We are looking at the following topics:

          * (for parents and older children) armor procurement and construction
          * (for the parents and children) Rules of the YAC program and getting involved.
          * Training track for older children
          * Training track for younger children
          * Marshal class for adults wanting to get involved.

          This is what we have so far. Again this is just the beginning of the program but we want to offer enough to get more people involved and excite the children into joining on a more permanent level.

          The idea has been presented about possibly offering an initiation ceremony for youth wishing to join the program at Sport of Kings, but we haven't gotten that far yet about the pro's and con's and possibilities of the topic.

          Any help in developing the program will not be turned away. I am growing into this position as well and look at every piece of information as a possible asset.

          Thank you

          Sebastiaen "Sable" desRoseaux
          Youth Armored Combat Warden
          Three Mountains Barony
          aka
          David Hemmer
          Portland, OR

          --- In AnTirYAC@yahoogroups.com, Jean Colbert <hljpcolbert@...> wrote:

          > I am a Senior YAC Marshal, but only intermediate fighter, so make a fine marshal, but not so great trainer.  If you need someone to help with developing a safe and legal program, I can help you, but if you need someone to help come up with a training curiculum, I can help out with the basics, but you might want to find someone with more experience.
          >    YIS,
          >      Lord Jean-Pierre Colbert le Chasseur de Lorraine
          >
          > Youth Armored Combat Warden for the Barony of Glymm Mere
          > Member of the Beevarian Guard of the Barony of Glymm Mere
          > Tout autour du gentil type
          >
          > myspace.com/jpcolbert

        • ME.
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 3, 2009
            At SoK 2007 the youth tracks were really cool.
            I think there was just the one track, with only a couple of classes on Friday and Saturday.
            My son took a couple of beginners classes on Friday, which were taught by another youth (though Mason, the teacher, was like 16 at the time...) and then on Saturday he took a class taught by Duke (?) Gemini of the West (I believe).
            It was a lot of fun.
            Personally, I would suggest keeping it to a single track... weapons, armor and rules/marshaling on one day, some fight training on the next. Considering that each child needs to have a parent in attendance, if you try and split it up and have a marshaling class at the same time that you have a class on weapon construction many parents will miss out on one or the other if they have an interest in both. Many of the children who would wish to participate will be at the whim of their parents, who may be taking other "adult" classes too... which can be an issue, so the less opportunity for conflict the better.
            Also, unless the rules for marshaling youth are different than adults, there is already a marshaling class in the non-combat track, an introduction, beginning and advanced I believe (I say this as I was working on those non-combat classes for a while) as long as things haven't changed. I would ask the autocrat if that is still the case, then you don't have to worry about doing those classes.

            Just my o.o2
            HL GaeiRa Runfastsdottir

            Well at this time, since our program is just starting out again, we are looking at a limited track. I have no problem working with either the parents or the kids, but I can not do it all alone. We are looking at the following topics:

            * (for parents and older children) armor procurement and construction
            * (for the parents and children) Rules of the YAC program and getting involved.
            * Training track for older children
            * Training track for younger children
            * Marshal class for adults wanting to get involved.

            This is what we have so far. Again this is just the beginning of the program but we want to offer enough to get more people involved and excite the children into joining on a more permanent level.

            The idea has been presented about possibly offering an initiation ceremony for youth wishing to join the program at Sport of Kings, but we haven't gotten that far yet about the pro's and con's and possibilities of the topic.

            Any help in developing the program will not be turned away. I am growing into this position as well and look at every piece of information as a possible asset.

            Thank you

            Sebastiaen "Sable" desRoseaux
            Youth Armored Combat Warden
            Three Mountains Barony
            aka
            David Hemmer
            Portland, OR

            --- In AnTirYAC@yahoogroup s.com, Jean Colbert <hljpcolbert@ ...> wrote:

            > I am a Senior YAC Marshal, but only intermediate fighter, so make a fine marshal, but not so great trainer.  If you need someone to help with developing a safe and legal program, I can help you, but if you need someone to help come up with a training curiculum, I can help out with the basics, but you might want to find someone with more experience.
            >    YIS,
            >      Lord Jean-Pierre Colbert le Chasseur de Lorraine
            >
            > Youth Armored Combat Warden for the Barony of Glymm Mere
            > Member of the Beevarian Guard of the Barony of Glymm Mere
            > Tout autour du gentil type
            >
            > myspace.com/ jpcolbert

          • ursula_of_fowlkeep
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 4, 2009
              I am planning to do a sword construction workshop, I even talked to Ulfred about it and he said to talk to you, but I forgot to mention it at YAC day. I invite other people who have worked with youth rattan do the workshop with me. I make nice one handed swords, but I haven't done any alternative sort of weapon, and the older kids and their parents often ask about them. I'd like the class to be for actually building swords, so that parents can leave SoK with a good sword and the knowledge to make more. So there will need to be a fee to cover the cost of sword materials.

              The past 2 Sport of Kings have had good turn out for the YAC tourney, will we be having a YAC tourney this time? It is usually on Friday night. If we do it on Friday night this year, we should hold armour inspections and open lists early enough that it won't be dark by the time the kids take the field.

              Because my husband is busy finishing his degree, and he is having to do a lot of travel for work this summer, I am pretty sure Thora and I will be day tripping on Friday and Saturday, instead of camping.

              --- In AnTirYAC@yahoogroups.com, "sabletheblack" <jaltona73@...> wrote:

              > Well at this time, since our program is just starting out again, we are looking at a limited track. I have no problem working with either the parents or the kids, but I can not do it all alone. We are looking at the following topics:
              >
              > * (for parents and older children) armor procurement and construction
              > * (for the parents and children) Rules of the YAC program and getting involved.
              > * Training track for older children
              > * Training track for younger children
              > * Marshal class for adults wanting to get involved.
              >
              > This is what we have so far. Again this is just the beginning of the program but we want to offer enough to get more people involved and excite the children into joining on a more permanent level.
              >
              > The idea has been presented about possibly offering an initiation ceremony for youth wishing to join the program at Sport of Kings, but we haven't gotten that far yet about the pro's and con's and possibilities of the topic.
              >
              > Any help in developing the program will not be turned away. I am growing into this position as well and look at every piece of information as a possible asset.
              >
              > Thank you
              >
              > Sebastiaen "Sable" desRoseaux
              > Youth Armored Combat Warden
              > Three Mountains Barony
              > aka
              > David Hemmer
              > Portland, OR
              >
              > --- In AnTirYAC@yahoogroups.com, Jean Colbert <hljpcolbert@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I am a Senior YAC Marshal, but only intermediate fighter, so make a fine marshal, but not so great trainer. If you need someone to help with developing a safe and legal program, I can help you, but if you need someone to help come up with a training curiculum, I can help out with the basics, but you might want to find someone with more experience.
              > > YIS,
              > > Lord Jean-Pierre Colbert le Chasseur de Lorraine
              > >
              > > Youth Armored Combat Warden for the Barony of Glymm Mere
              > > Member of the Beevarian Guard of the Barony of Glymm Mere
              > > Tout autour du gentil type
              > >
              > > myspace.com/jpcolbert

            • ursula_of_fowlkeep
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 4, 2009
                One must become an authorized YAC marshal to run YAC activities, so we really do need a YAC specific marshalling class. Because of the 2008 YAC rule rewrite and the 2007 changes to the SCA youth policy, AnTir is rather short on authorized YAC marshals, and SoK would be a great venue to help remedy that shortage.

                In the past YAC has sort of been treated as an after thought, with anybody who was a marshal would run a tourney. Things like the weapons I saw pass inspection during those times made me quite concerned, because sometimes people were running YAC events without being familiar with the rules. The 2008 YAC rewrite has cleaned that issue up, now it's time to get the populace up to speed on it. Any branch that has a fighter practice and one Youth Combatant needs a YAC marshal.

              • hallgrim@greathall.org
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 4, 2009

                  Sebastiaen:

                  I am expecting to be able to make SOK.  I would be happy to help out, fill a gap where you need one filled, etc.  Maybe have a marshal training class?  Let me know.

                  Hallgrim