RE: [AnTirYAC] Re: device

  • hallgrim@greathall.org
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 6 7:45 AM

      Jean-Pierre:

      I am not sure what you are agreeing with?  I don’t think Ursula is saying that YAC participant badges need or ought to be like a marshallate badge.  I would think that the participant badges should have their own feel -- separate from the marshallate.  But between the age divisions, I do think some similarity is desirable.  As to the position of the devices -- is that something that is decided by the contest, or are we trying not to have a contest?

      Maybe we can approach this as a youth collaborative effort where the kids first select divisions or not, then what sort of divisions, then colors, then metals, etc. and so forth ending up deciding the position of the animal.  In this plan we would have a herald (we can ask the Black Lion for a designee) guide the kids through the proper choices available.  This way the kids learn from a herald.  It’s not a contest then, but would be a real nice introduction to heraldry to the kids.  We can use this group’s polling function to see what the kids want.

      Hallgrim

      From: ursula_of_fowlkeep <solem_atrum@...>
      Subject: [AnTirYAC] Re: device
      To: AnTirYAC@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, March 4, 2009, 9:23 AM

      I haven't ignored you, Jean-Pierre, :-)

      I've been looking for a nice Yak head to work with, and I sent a couple of examples to Sebastiaen, because he is the graphic artist and I am not. I don't have the tools or drawing skill to produce a really good looking Yak's head. OK, maybe I could do a nice Yak head in embroidery, but that really won't help us here...

      I think if we are staying with the general marshallate form, then the Yak head over the crossed swords makes a lot of sense. Other than changing the animal, what else could we do without leaving the general marshallate form? I think we should stay close to the rest of the marshallate devices, to show our relationship with them. Unless someone has a stunning great idea, we may have the basics of the device right here, now, and we just need to sort out the details.

      I haven't submitted a device before, so I don't know all of the process.

      Also, how are we going to get all the kids to vote? I thought we were just going to vote on it here. It would be easy to set up a database or poll in the group functions, and set a vote time for the list. Getting the kids voting for it would be good, but with so many branch YAC programs just getting started, I'd guess few kids would actually be voting.