Weapon Construction question...

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
      Many heavy fighters shave their rattan to be oblong so they are more sword like shaped, and have a more distinct striking surface. Is that acceptable to do the same with YAC weapons, as long as it meets all other requirements? I am having to shave down a bigger piece of rattan for my son, to make it 3/4". As I was shaving it down, before I turned it to work the other dimensions, I was looking at it, and thought it would be good at 3/4" x 1". Is that too big?
      YIS
      Lord Jean-Pierre

      Illic est haud affectus , illic est pacis.
      Illic est haud ignarus , illic est scientia.
      Illic est haud perturbatio , illic est serenus.
      Illic est haud chaos , illic est consensio.
      Illic est haud nex , illic est Phasmatis.

      sona si latine loqueris

      myspace.com/jpcolbert
    • hallgrim@greathall.org
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009

        Jean-Pierre:

        It’s too big.

        The rattan top-down view must be in the shape of circle -- it can’t be a rectangle with beveled edges like you describe.

        ABYAC states:  As a practical matter, rattan will have natural variances in its diameter, but at no point shall the rattan core be less than 5/8” (15.9 mm) in diameter nor greater than 13/16” (20.6 mm) in diameter.  Section IV(C)(2)(b)(ii) (keywords emphasized).  In other words, take a set of calipers and set to 3/4” if you can’t fit the rattan in between the calipers at any point -- it’s too big.

        This is to keep the mass of the weapon down.  The foam, it seems to me, could be rectangular and fit within the rules and not implicate the same concerns about mass.

        Hallgrim