Re: Introduction/Ursulas Ideas

  • ursula_of_fowlkeep
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 22, 2008
      Actually I was planning on doing this as part of a social night fighter practice in 3M, for
      folks already in the SCA who have kids interested in YAC. What I really have in mind is a
      new YAC fighter orientation night, with a small YAC demo.

      After doing it for the barony, it could be redeveloped for a newcomers thing and taken to
      other demos, but we need to build up our numbers of YAC fighters, if we want to bring
      some fighters to demos. Remember 3M has only two YAC fighters with full armour right
      now, and they are both teens with busy schedules.

      At this point, I'd rather work on building the program within the local chapters, there is
      interest out there in our region, we just need to give it attention and encoragement to
      grow. After we get the program back on it's feet, taking YAC kids to demos would be
      great. There are plenty school of demos that come up in the year which we could be part
      of, after we have enough of a program to show off.

      --- In AnTirYAC@yahoogroups.com, "sabletheblack" <jaltona73@...> wrote:

      > With regards to having a YAC night in the springtime, can I make a
      > recommendation and suggest that we locate some of the in school demos
      > that may be happening this spring and grab a couple youths to bring to
      > it. I think having a couple of heavies is great but show the kids
      > that there is an outlet for them and I think they will be more apt to
      > ask their parents to get involved.
      >
      > So why can't we plan an event or demo specifically for kids? What
      > would it take? You speak of needing a marshall? I am working on
      > that. What else do we need to plan this? Obviously a Youth Demo
      > would require more than armored fighting, but let's plan one.
      >
      > Sebastiaen

    • sabletheblack
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 22, 2008
        THree Mountains, My Lord

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 22, 2008
          Let me know when exactly, there is talk in our Barony of Glymm Mere of carpooling to 3M Fighter practice once in awhile.  If it coincides with the YAC Demo I will make sure i go that week.  Heck, even if the carpool doesn't coincide, I will try to get a group of parents and kids together to carpool.
             YIS,
               Lord Jean-Pierre Colbert

          Illic est haud affectus , illic est pacis.
          Illic est haud ignarus , illic est scientia.
          Illic est haud perturbatio , illic est serenus.
          Illic est haud chaos , illic est consensio.
          Illic est haud nex , illic est Phasmatis.

          sona si latine loqueris

          myspace.com/jpcolbert

          Actually I was planning on doing this as part of a social night fighter practice in 3M, for
          folks already in the SCA who have kids interested in YAC. What I really have in mind is a
          new YAC fighter orientation night, with a small YAC demo.

          After doing it for the barony, it could be redeveloped for a newcomers thing and taken to
          other demos, but we need to build up our numbers of YAC fighters, if we want to bring
          some fighters to demos. Remember 3M has only two YAC fighters with full armour right
          now, and they are both teens with busy schedules.

          At this point, I'd rather work on building the program within the local chapters, there is
          interest out there in our region, we just need to give it attention and encoragement to
          grow. After we get the program back on it's feet, taking YAC kids to demos would be
          great. There are plenty school of demos that come up in the year which we could be part
          of, after we have enough of a program to show off.

          --- In AnTirYAC@yahoogroup s.com, "sabletheblack" <jaltona73@. ..> wrote:

          > With regards to having a YAC night in the springtime, can I make a
          > recommendation and suggest that we locate some of the in school demos
          > that may be happening this spring and grab a couple youths to bring to
          > it. I think having a couple of heavies is great but show the kids
          > that there is an outlet for them and I think they will be more apt to
          > ask their parents to get involved.
          >
          > So why can't we plan an event or demo specifically for kids? What
          > would it take? You speak of needing a marshall? I am working on
          > that. What else do we need to plan this? Obviously a Youth Demo
          > would require more than armored fighting, but let's plan one.
          >
          > Sebastiaen

        • ursula_of_fowlkeep
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 23, 2008
            Awsome, a road trip, that would be great.

            Right now I don't have anything schedualed, but 3M does a social night fighter practice
            once a month on the second Monday, so for those practices the Barony rents a room in the
            Park and Rec building where the covered basketball court for fighters is. This encorages
            non-fighters to come and hang out too, and the Baron and Baroness of 3M make a point
            to be there. So anyone coming down to Fighter Practice would see more folks if they
            planned on a second Monday. It usually brings out the most fighters that night, because
            there are things for the rest of the family to do.

            I had thought doing the second Monday in April or May for YAC night, though I'm not
            quite ready to the pencil it in yet, because I go back and fourth on April or May. I'll need to
            talk to some folks and arrange it on the baronial schedule, check conflicts, but in spring
            when we have a decent chance of decent weather seems the best option.

            While May is closer to the end of the school year, which helps parents get their kids out to
            practice, the May social night Practice is the Monday before Crown, which means the adult
            fighters won't be as into helping the kids as they are the rest of the time. It also means a
            lot of people will be prepareing for the trip to Crown which would be a distraction for
            anyone wanting to learn about YAC too. So I guess second Monday in April is the more
            likely. I might plan on doing a second YAC night in June if there is enough interest, and
            the first one goes well.

            I'll need to talk to a few folks before I can confirm the date, but April 13th is looking like a
            real possibility.

            Ursula

          • hallgrim@greathall.org
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 27, 2008

              Hi Three Mountains Denizens:

              Your YAC Minister (regional marshal) is Daði Mánaskröggr Vébrandsson [dan@...].  To get your marshallate staff up, you should be conferring with Senior YAC marshals in your area or with Daði.  If you are not having success going through these normal channels, then please contact me.

              Hallgrim

              KDYC

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 27, 2008

                Sorry for the lack of response here, the holidays have been a whirlwind!

                Cailin, Ursula,

                Please feel free to contact me directly via email dan@... or phone 425-210-2101!

                Let’s get your structure in place.   J   The more programs we have going the better!

                Thanks,

                Daði

                Your YAC Minister (regional marshal) is Daði Mánaskröggr Vébrandsson [dan@...].  To get your marshallate staff up, you should be conferring with Senior YAC marshals in your area or with Daði.  If you are not having success going through these normal channels, then please contact me.

                Hallgrim

                KDYC

                Meri of the Bears is 3Ms YAC Sr. Marshall, but as 3M Knight Marshall, she has plenty to do
                without trying to build up the YAC program too. 3M is desparately in need of a YAC deputy
                officer and some YAC Marshalls. 3M has a couple of events coming up in '09 that would
                benefit from having an organized baronial YAC program, for we have both July Coronation
                and Sport of Kings ahead for next summer.

                One thing I've been thinking about doing, but I'd want to have the YAC officer and/or a
                YAC marshall with me would be to do a YAC night in spring to get kids coming out to fight
                practice and go over the equipment with the parents, and do a general orientation night,
                and maybe a sword construction workshop, and demo with it. I know Thora and
                Gianni(3M's and Stromgard's current Youth Champion) would be happy to help with the
                fighting demo part.

                <snip>

                --- In AnTirYAC@yahoogroups.com, "Skyler" <kane_blackrose@...> wrote:

                > Hail and well met,
                > MY name is Cailin MacGregor, I am the LT of the mercenary company
                > The Iron Ring. It has recently been brought to my attention that my
                > barony is slighly lacking in the YAC department and I have come to
                > assist in rectifying that situation.
                >

                > Yours In Service,
                > Cailin MacGregor
                > Lieutenant of The Iron Ring
                > Cruoris pro Aurum, Aurum pro Gloria!

                <snip>

              • Alasdair
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 19, 2010
                  Hello, I am HL Alasdair Mac Roibeirt, the new Youth Warden for the Barony of Blatha An Oir. I am also a baronial deputy heavy marshall for the barony. I am a squire to Baron Sir Aleksii and have been fighting for about 12 years all together. I also am a father of 4 boys, who have been in and out of the SCA for most of their lives. I came into the yac program due to my boys, yes all four are boys, and then started to tackle some of the issues with the program. I look forward to getting our baronial program back in gear, especially with regards to the Karl Redstone tourney traditionally held at autumn war.

                  Alasdair
                • La
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 20, 2011
                    I just wanted to introduce myself to those that may or may not know who we are. I am Ingmar the Tactful (?) and my son Casey the Fearless. We are looking forward to meeting you all at future events.
                    I have been eventing for many years as a bard for House Gremlin. I had to take about 7 seasons off, but have returned.
                    Casey the Fearless has just started and I am afraid (rather my wallet) that he may be addicted already. :)
                  • Brad Thompson
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 20, 2011

                      Welcome Ingmar and Casey. I met Casey before the boar hunt where he explained the difference between a bokken and a katana. I was very impressed.

                      I hope to make your acquaintance as well as meet Casey in upcoming events.

                      Cornelius Oakson

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 20, 2011
                        I look forward to it. Casey has not stopped talking about it.. You would think that he was knight already.. lol