Re: Introduction

  • sabletheblack
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 20, 2008
      He's from 3M btw

      Sable

      --- In AnTirYAC@yahoogroups.com, "sabletheblack" <jaltona73@...> wrote:

      > Good eve,
      >
      > Cailin is a good friend of mine and brother in arms. I gave him a
      > call as he has children that are of age for YAC and that come to
      > events. His honor where children are concerned is impeccable and I
      > believe unimpeachable (he works with children for a school district
      > within the Barony). He likes to be involved and be a good contributor
      > to good causes. I asked him if he wanted to help and he was all for
      > getting involved in the Barony to help.
      >
      > WELCOME CAILIN!
      >
      > Sebastiaen "Sable" desRoseaux
      > aka
      > David Hemmer
      > jaltona73@...
      >

      > --- In AnTirYAC@yahoogroups.com, Jean Colbert <hljpcolbert@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Elcome and well met.  What Barony are you from?  Maybe we can find
      > someon local to you to help you out.
      > >    YIS,
      > >      Lord Jean-Pierre
      > >
      > > Illic est haud affectus , illic est pacis.
      > > Illic est haud ignarus , illic est scientia.
      > > Illic est haud perturbatio , illic est serenus.
      > > Illic est haud chaos , illic est consensio.
      > > Illic est haud nex , illic est Phasmatis.
      > >
      > > sona si latine loqueris
      > >
      > > myspace.com/jpcolbert

    • ursula_of_fowlkeep
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 20, 2008
        Greetings Cailin,

        I am not sure if we have met, but I do know some Iron Ring folks like Talia and Slaine. I am
        Ursula and live in Three Mountains. My daughter is Thora the tall, who was 3M youth
        champion for the past 2 years before stepping down in June this year. She is probably the
        longest standing current YAC fighter in 3M. 3M has not had a YAC officer in 3 years, and
        only one new YAC fighter in that time. We are hurting where YAC is concerned, and I don't
        think Stromgard or Dragons Mist has much of a YAC program either.

        I am a non fighter parent, who has had to learn this stuff by trial and error, but after 3.5
        years, I am getting a pretty good feel for it. I cannot field marshall for health reasons,
        which is why I haven't taken up a more offical role in YAC. Instead, I try to help where I
        can, like picking up at thrift stores ice hockey helmets, gloves, and other bits of gear to
        redistribute to YAC fighters. Getting helmets to start is usually a sticking point for parents.
        I have a couple bags of helmets in my attic now, ready for the new fighters, and I'm
        working on rehoming them.

        The barony has 2-3 bags of loaner armor in storage, and some PEX core swords. The
        swords will need to be replaced, because of the new rattan rules. I would like to work on
        the construction to replace them, since I've made 4 of them so far, and have learned a
        couple of tricks.

        Meri of the Bears is 3Ms YAC Sr. Marshall, but as 3M Knight Marshall, she has plenty to do
        without trying to build up the YAC program too. 3M is desparately in need of a YAC deputy
        officer and some YAC Marshalls. 3M has a couple of events coming up in '09 that would
        benefit from having an organized baronial YAC program, for we have both July Coronation
        and Sport of Kings ahead for next summer.

        One thing I've been thinking about doing, but I'd want to have the YAC officer and/or a
        YAC marshall with me would be to do a YAC night in spring to get kids coming out to fight
        practice and go over the equipment with the parents, and do a general orientation night,
        and maybe a sword construction workshop, and demo with it. I know Thora and
        Gianni(3M's and Stromgard's current Youth Champion) would be happy to help with the
        fighting demo part.

        Thora is 14 now, and I have been hoping to help get the YAC program back on it's feet
        before she goes heavy, which at this point is schedualed for Tryggvy's War 4, though it
        could be as early as Sport of Kings 2011.

        I'm really glad you and Sebastian are stepping up to help get this program back on it's feet
        in 3M. Huzzah!

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 22, 2008
          With regards to having a YAC night in the springtime, can I make a
          recommendation and suggest that we locate some of the in school demos
          that may be happening this spring and grab a couple youths to bring to
          it. I think having a couple of heavies is great but show the kids
          that there is an outlet for them and I think they will be more apt to
          ask their parents to get involved.

          So why can't we plan an event or demo specifically for kids? What
          would it take? You speak of needing a marshall? I am working on
          that. What else do we need to plan this? Obviously a Youth Demo
          would require more than armored fighting, but let's plan one.

          Sebastiaen

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 22, 2008
              Actually I was planning on doing this as part of a social night fighter practice in 3M, for
              folks already in the SCA who have kids interested in YAC. What I really have in mind is a
              new YAC fighter orientation night, with a small YAC demo.

              After doing it for the barony, it could be redeveloped for a newcomers thing and taken to
              other demos, but we need to build up our numbers of YAC fighters, if we want to bring
              some fighters to demos. Remember 3M has only two YAC fighters with full armour right
              now, and they are both teens with busy schedules.

              At this point, I'd rather work on building the program within the local chapters, there is
              interest out there in our region, we just need to give it attention and encoragement to
              grow. After we get the program back on it's feet, taking YAC kids to demos would be
              great. There are plenty school of demos that come up in the year which we could be part
              of, after we have enough of a program to show off.

              --- In AnTirYAC@yahoogroups.com, "sabletheblack" <jaltona73@...> wrote:

              > With regards to having a YAC night in the springtime, can I make a
              > recommendation and suggest that we locate some of the in school demos
              > that may be happening this spring and grab a couple youths to bring to
              > it. I think having a couple of heavies is great but show the kids
              > that there is an outlet for them and I think they will be more apt to
              > ask their parents to get involved.
              >
              > So why can't we plan an event or demo specifically for kids? What
              > would it take? You speak of needing a marshall? I am working on
              > that. What else do we need to plan this? Obviously a Youth Demo
              > would require more than armored fighting, but let's plan one.
              >
              > Sebastiaen

            • sabletheblack
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 22, 2008
                THree Mountains, My Lord

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 22, 2008
                  Let me know when exactly, there is talk in our Barony of Glymm Mere of carpooling to 3M Fighter practice once in awhile.  If it coincides with the YAC Demo I will make sure i go that week.  Heck, even if the carpool doesn't coincide, I will try to get a group of parents and kids together to carpool.
                     YIS,
                       Lord Jean-Pierre Colbert

                  Illic est haud affectus , illic est pacis.
                  Illic est haud ignarus , illic est scientia.
                  Illic est haud perturbatio , illic est serenus.
                  Illic est haud chaos , illic est consensio.
                  Illic est haud nex , illic est Phasmatis.

                  sona si latine loqueris

                  myspace.com/jpcolbert

                  Actually I was planning on doing this as part of a social night fighter practice in 3M, for
                  folks already in the SCA who have kids interested in YAC. What I really have in mind is a
                  new YAC fighter orientation night, with a small YAC demo.

                  After doing it for the barony, it could be redeveloped for a newcomers thing and taken to
                  other demos, but we need to build up our numbers of YAC fighters, if we want to bring
                  some fighters to demos. Remember 3M has only two YAC fighters with full armour right
                  now, and they are both teens with busy schedules.

                  At this point, I'd rather work on building the program within the local chapters, there is
                  interest out there in our region, we just need to give it attention and encoragement to
                  grow. After we get the program back on it's feet, taking YAC kids to demos would be
                  great. There are plenty school of demos that come up in the year which we could be part
                  of, after we have enough of a program to show off.

                  --- In AnTirYAC@yahoogroup s.com, "sabletheblack" <jaltona73@. ..> wrote:

                  > With regards to having a YAC night in the springtime, can I make a
                  > recommendation and suggest that we locate some of the in school demos
                  > that may be happening this spring and grab a couple youths to bring to
                  > it. I think having a couple of heavies is great but show the kids
                  > that there is an outlet for them and I think they will be more apt to
                  > ask their parents to get involved.
                  >
                  > So why can't we plan an event or demo specifically for kids? What
                  > would it take? You speak of needing a marshall? I am working on
                  > that. What else do we need to plan this? Obviously a Youth Demo
                  > would require more than armored fighting, but let's plan one.
                  >
                  > Sebastiaen

                • ursula_of_fowlkeep
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 23, 2008
                    Awsome, a road trip, that would be great.

                    Right now I don't have anything schedualed, but 3M does a social night fighter practice
                    once a month on the second Monday, so for those practices the Barony rents a room in the
                    Park and Rec building where the covered basketball court for fighters is. This encorages
                    non-fighters to come and hang out too, and the Baron and Baroness of 3M make a point
                    to be there. So anyone coming down to Fighter Practice would see more folks if they
                    planned on a second Monday. It usually brings out the most fighters that night, because
                    there are things for the rest of the family to do.

                    I had thought doing the second Monday in April or May for YAC night, though I'm not
                    quite ready to the pencil it in yet, because I go back and fourth on April or May. I'll need to
                    talk to some folks and arrange it on the baronial schedule, check conflicts, but in spring
                    when we have a decent chance of decent weather seems the best option.

                    While May is closer to the end of the school year, which helps parents get their kids out to
                    practice, the May social night Practice is the Monday before Crown, which means the adult
                    fighters won't be as into helping the kids as they are the rest of the time. It also means a
                    lot of people will be prepareing for the trip to Crown which would be a distraction for
                    anyone wanting to learn about YAC too. So I guess second Monday in April is the more
                    likely. I might plan on doing a second YAC night in June if there is enough interest, and
                    the first one goes well.

                    I'll need to talk to a few folks before I can confirm the date, but April 13th is looking like a
                    real possibility.

                    Ursula

                  • hallgrim@greathall.org
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 27, 2008

                      Hi Three Mountains Denizens:

                      Your YAC Minister (regional marshal) is Daði Mánaskröggr Vébrandsson [dan@...].  To get your marshallate staff up, you should be conferring with Senior YAC marshals in your area or with Daði.  If you are not having success going through these normal channels, then please contact me.

                      Hallgrim

                      KDYC

                      Meri of the Bears is 3Ms YAC Sr. Marshall, but as 3M Knight Marshall, she has plenty to do
                      without trying to build up the YAC program too. 3M is desparately in need of a YAC deputy
                      officer and some YAC Marshalls. 3M has a couple of events coming up in '09 that would
                      benefit from having an organized baronial YAC program, for we have both July Coronation
                      and Sport of Kings ahead for next summer.

                      One thing I've been thinking about doing, but I'd want to have the YAC officer and/or a
                      YAC marshall with me would be to do a YAC night in spring to get kids coming out to fight
                      practice and go over the equipment with the parents, and do a general orientation night,
                      and maybe a sword construction workshop, and demo with it. I know Thora and
                      Gianni(3M's and Stromgard's current Youth Champion) would be happy to help with the
                      fighting demo part.

                      <snip>

                      --- In AnTirYAC@yahoogroups.com, "Skyler" <kane_blackrose@...> wrote:

                      > Hail and well met,
                      > MY name is Cailin MacGregor, I am the LT of the mercenary company
                      > The Iron Ring. It has recently been brought to my attention that my
                      > barony is slighly lacking in the YAC department and I have come to
                      > assist in rectifying that situation.
                      >

                      > Yours In Service,
                      > Cailin MacGregor
                      > Lieutenant of The Iron Ring
                      > Cruoris pro Aurum, Aurum pro Gloria!

                      <snip>

                    • Daði
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 27, 2008

                        Sorry for the lack of response here, the holidays have been a whirlwind!

                        Cailin, Ursula,

                        Please feel free to contact me directly via email dan@... or phone 425-210-2101!

                        Let’s get your structure in place.   J   The more programs we have going the better!

                        Thanks,

                        Daði

                        Your YAC Minister (regional marshal) is Daði Mánaskröggr Vébrandsson [dan@...].  To get your marshallate staff up, you should be conferring with Senior YAC marshals in your area or with Daði.  If you are not having success going through these normal channels, then please contact me.

                        Hallgrim

                        KDYC

                        Meri of the Bears is 3Ms YAC Sr. Marshall, but as 3M Knight Marshall, she has plenty to do
                        without trying to build up the YAC program too. 3M is desparately in need of a YAC deputy
                        officer and some YAC Marshalls. 3M has a couple of events coming up in '09 that would
                        benefit from having an organized baronial YAC program, for we have both July Coronation
                        and Sport of Kings ahead for next summer.

                        One thing I've been thinking about doing, but I'd want to have the YAC officer and/or a
                        YAC marshall with me would be to do a YAC night in spring to get kids coming out to fight
                        practice and go over the equipment with the parents, and do a general orientation night,
                        and maybe a sword construction workshop, and demo with it. I know Thora and
                        Gianni(3M's and Stromgard's current Youth Champion) would be happy to help with the
                        fighting demo part.

                        <snip>

                        --- In AnTirYAC@yahoogroups.com, "Skyler" <kane_blackrose@...> wrote:

                        > Hail and well met,
                        > MY name is Cailin MacGregor, I am the LT of the mercenary company
                        > The Iron Ring. It has recently been brought to my attention that my
                        > barony is slighly lacking in the YAC department and I have come to
                        > assist in rectifying that situation.
                        >

                        > Yours In Service,
                        > Cailin MacGregor
                        > Lieutenant of The Iron Ring
                        > Cruoris pro Aurum, Aurum pro Gloria!

                        <snip>

                      • Alasdair
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 19, 2010
                          Hello, I am HL Alasdair Mac Roibeirt, the new Youth Warden for the Barony of Blatha An Oir. I am also a baronial deputy heavy marshall for the barony. I am a squire to Baron Sir Aleksii and have been fighting for about 12 years all together. I also am a father of 4 boys, who have been in and out of the SCA for most of their lives. I came into the yac program due to my boys, yes all four are boys, and then started to tackle some of the issues with the program. I look forward to getting our baronial program back in gear, especially with regards to the Karl Redstone tourney traditionally held at autumn war.

                          Alasdair
                        • La
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 20, 2011
                            I just wanted to introduce myself to those that may or may not know who we are. I am Ingmar the Tactful (?) and my son Casey the Fearless. We are looking forward to meeting you all at future events.
                            I have been eventing for many years as a bard for House Gremlin. I had to take about 7 seasons off, but have returned.
                            Casey the Fearless has just started and I am afraid (rather my wallet) that he may be addicted already. :)
                          • Brad Thompson
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 20, 2011

                              Welcome Ingmar and Casey. I met Casey before the boar hunt where he explained the difference between a bokken and a katana. I was very impressed.

                              I hope to make your acquaintance as well as meet Casey in upcoming events.

                              Cornelius Oakson

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 20, 2011
                                I look forward to it. Casey has not stopped talking about it.. You would think that he was knight already.. lol