Re: Introduction

  • sabletheblack
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 20, 2008
      Good eve,

      Cailin is a good friend of mine and brother in arms. I gave him a
      call as he has children that are of age for YAC and that come to
      events. His honor where children are concerned is impeccable and I
      believe unimpeachable (he works with children for a school district
      within the Barony). He likes to be involved and be a good contributor
      to good causes. I asked him if he wanted to help and he was all for
      getting involved in the Barony to help.

      WELCOME CAILIN!

      Sebastiaen "Sable" desRoseaux
      aka
      David Hemmer
      jaltona73@...

      --- In AnTirYAC@yahoogroups.com, Jean Colbert <hljpcolbert@...> wrote:

      > Elcome and well met.  What Barony are you from?  Maybe we can find
      someon local to you to help you out.
      >    YIS,
      >      Lord Jean-Pierre
      >
      > Illic est haud affectus , illic est pacis.
      > Illic est haud ignarus , illic est scientia.
      > Illic est haud perturbatio , illic est serenus.
      > Illic est haud chaos , illic est consensio.
      > Illic est haud nex , illic est Phasmatis.
      >
      > sona si latine loqueris
      >
      > myspace.com/jpcolbert

    • sabletheblack
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 20, 2008
        He's from 3M btw

        Sable

        --- In AnTirYAC@yahoogroups.com, "sabletheblack" <jaltona73@...> wrote:

        > Good eve,
        >
        > Cailin is a good friend of mine and brother in arms. I gave him a
        > call as he has children that are of age for YAC and that come to
        > events. His honor where children are concerned is impeccable and I
        > believe unimpeachable (he works with children for a school district
        > within the Barony). He likes to be involved and be a good contributor
        > to good causes. I asked him if he wanted to help and he was all for
        > getting involved in the Barony to help.
        >
        > WELCOME CAILIN!
        >
        > Sebastiaen "Sable" desRoseaux
        > aka
        > David Hemmer
        > jaltona73@...
        >

        > --- In AnTirYAC@yahoogroups.com, Jean Colbert <hljpcolbert@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Elcome and well met.  What Barony are you from?  Maybe we can find
        > someon local to you to help you out.
        > >    YIS,
        > >      Lord Jean-Pierre
        > >
        > > Illic est haud affectus , illic est pacis.
        > > Illic est haud ignarus , illic est scientia.
        > > Illic est haud perturbatio , illic est serenus.
        > > Illic est haud chaos , illic est consensio.
        > > Illic est haud nex , illic est Phasmatis.
        > >
        > > sona si latine loqueris
        > >
        > > myspace.com/jpcolbert

      • ursula_of_fowlkeep
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 20, 2008
          Greetings Cailin,

          I am not sure if we have met, but I do know some Iron Ring folks like Talia and Slaine. I am
          Ursula and live in Three Mountains. My daughter is Thora the tall, who was 3M youth
          champion for the past 2 years before stepping down in June this year. She is probably the
          longest standing current YAC fighter in 3M. 3M has not had a YAC officer in 3 years, and
          only one new YAC fighter in that time. We are hurting where YAC is concerned, and I don't
          think Stromgard or Dragons Mist has much of a YAC program either.

          I am a non fighter parent, who has had to learn this stuff by trial and error, but after 3.5
          years, I am getting a pretty good feel for it. I cannot field marshall for health reasons,
          which is why I haven't taken up a more offical role in YAC. Instead, I try to help where I
          can, like picking up at thrift stores ice hockey helmets, gloves, and other bits of gear to
          redistribute to YAC fighters. Getting helmets to start is usually a sticking point for parents.
          I have a couple bags of helmets in my attic now, ready for the new fighters, and I'm
          working on rehoming them.

          The barony has 2-3 bags of loaner armor in storage, and some PEX core swords. The
          swords will need to be replaced, because of the new rattan rules. I would like to work on
          the construction to replace them, since I've made 4 of them so far, and have learned a
          couple of tricks.

          Meri of the Bears is 3Ms YAC Sr. Marshall, but as 3M Knight Marshall, she has plenty to do
          without trying to build up the YAC program too. 3M is desparately in need of a YAC deputy
          officer and some YAC Marshalls. 3M has a couple of events coming up in '09 that would
          benefit from having an organized baronial YAC program, for we have both July Coronation
          and Sport of Kings ahead for next summer.

          One thing I've been thinking about doing, but I'd want to have the YAC officer and/or a
          YAC marshall with me would be to do a YAC night in spring to get kids coming out to fight
          practice and go over the equipment with the parents, and do a general orientation night,
          and maybe a sword construction workshop, and demo with it. I know Thora and
          Gianni(3M's and Stromgard's current Youth Champion) would be happy to help with the
          fighting demo part.

          Thora is 14 now, and I have been hoping to help get the YAC program back on it's feet
          before she goes heavy, which at this point is schedualed for Tryggvy's War 4, though it
          could be as early as Sport of Kings 2011.

          I'm really glad you and Sebastian are stepping up to help get this program back on it's feet
          in 3M. Huzzah!

          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 22, 2008
            With regards to having a YAC night in the springtime, can I make a
            recommendation and suggest that we locate some of the in school demos
            that may be happening this spring and grab a couple youths to bring to
            it. I think having a couple of heavies is great but show the kids
            that there is an outlet for them and I think they will be more apt to
            ask their parents to get involved.

            So why can't we plan an event or demo specifically for kids? What
            would it take? You speak of needing a marshall? I am working on
            that. What else do we need to plan this? Obviously a Youth Demo
            would require more than armored fighting, but let's plan one.

            Sebastiaen

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 22, 2008
                Actually I was planning on doing this as part of a social night fighter practice in 3M, for
                folks already in the SCA who have kids interested in YAC. What I really have in mind is a
                new YAC fighter orientation night, with a small YAC demo.

                After doing it for the barony, it could be redeveloped for a newcomers thing and taken to
                other demos, but we need to build up our numbers of YAC fighters, if we want to bring
                some fighters to demos. Remember 3M has only two YAC fighters with full armour right
                now, and they are both teens with busy schedules.

                At this point, I'd rather work on building the program within the local chapters, there is
                interest out there in our region, we just need to give it attention and encoragement to
                grow. After we get the program back on it's feet, taking YAC kids to demos would be
                great. There are plenty school of demos that come up in the year which we could be part
                of, after we have enough of a program to show off.

                --- In AnTirYAC@yahoogroups.com, "sabletheblack" <jaltona73@...> wrote:

                > With regards to having a YAC night in the springtime, can I make a
                > recommendation and suggest that we locate some of the in school demos
                > that may be happening this spring and grab a couple youths to bring to
                > it. I think having a couple of heavies is great but show the kids
                > that there is an outlet for them and I think they will be more apt to
                > ask their parents to get involved.
                >
                > So why can't we plan an event or demo specifically for kids? What
                > would it take? You speak of needing a marshall? I am working on
                > that. What else do we need to plan this? Obviously a Youth Demo
                > would require more than armored fighting, but let's plan one.
                >
                > Sebastiaen

              • sabletheblack
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 22, 2008
                  THree Mountains, My Lord

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 22, 2008
                    Let me know when exactly, there is talk in our Barony of Glymm Mere of carpooling to 3M Fighter practice once in awhile.  If it coincides with the YAC Demo I will make sure i go that week.  Heck, even if the carpool doesn't coincide, I will try to get a group of parents and kids together to carpool.
                       YIS,
                         Lord Jean-Pierre Colbert

                    Illic est haud affectus , illic est pacis.
                    Illic est haud ignarus , illic est scientia.
                    Illic est haud perturbatio , illic est serenus.
                    Illic est haud chaos , illic est consensio.
                    Illic est haud nex , illic est Phasmatis.

                    sona si latine loqueris

                    myspace.com/jpcolbert

                    Actually I was planning on doing this as part of a social night fighter practice in 3M, for
                    folks already in the SCA who have kids interested in YAC. What I really have in mind is a
                    new YAC fighter orientation night, with a small YAC demo.

                    After doing it for the barony, it could be redeveloped for a newcomers thing and taken to
                    other demos, but we need to build up our numbers of YAC fighters, if we want to bring
                    some fighters to demos. Remember 3M has only two YAC fighters with full armour right
                    now, and they are both teens with busy schedules.

                    At this point, I'd rather work on building the program within the local chapters, there is
                    interest out there in our region, we just need to give it attention and encoragement to
                    grow. After we get the program back on it's feet, taking YAC kids to demos would be
                    great. There are plenty school of demos that come up in the year which we could be part
                    of, after we have enough of a program to show off.

                    --- In AnTirYAC@yahoogroup s.com, "sabletheblack" <jaltona73@. ..> wrote:

                    > With regards to having a YAC night in the springtime, can I make a
                    > recommendation and suggest that we locate some of the in school demos
                    > that may be happening this spring and grab a couple youths to bring to
                    > it. I think having a couple of heavies is great but show the kids
                    > that there is an outlet for them and I think they will be more apt to
                    > ask their parents to get involved.
                    >
                    > So why can't we plan an event or demo specifically for kids? What
                    > would it take? You speak of needing a marshall? I am working on
                    > that. What else do we need to plan this? Obviously a Youth Demo
                    > would require more than armored fighting, but let's plan one.
                    >
                    > Sebastiaen

                  • ursula_of_fowlkeep
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 23, 2008
                      Awsome, a road trip, that would be great.

                      Right now I don't have anything schedualed, but 3M does a social night fighter practice
                      once a month on the second Monday, so for those practices the Barony rents a room in the
                      Park and Rec building where the covered basketball court for fighters is. This encorages
                      non-fighters to come and hang out too, and the Baron and Baroness of 3M make a point
                      to be there. So anyone coming down to Fighter Practice would see more folks if they
                      planned on a second Monday. It usually brings out the most fighters that night, because
                      there are things for the rest of the family to do.

                      I had thought doing the second Monday in April or May for YAC night, though I'm not
                      quite ready to the pencil it in yet, because I go back and fourth on April or May. I'll need to
                      talk to some folks and arrange it on the baronial schedule, check conflicts, but in spring
                      when we have a decent chance of decent weather seems the best option.

                      While May is closer to the end of the school year, which helps parents get their kids out to
                      practice, the May social night Practice is the Monday before Crown, which means the adult
                      fighters won't be as into helping the kids as they are the rest of the time. It also means a
                      lot of people will be prepareing for the trip to Crown which would be a distraction for
                      anyone wanting to learn about YAC too. So I guess second Monday in April is the more
                      likely. I might plan on doing a second YAC night in June if there is enough interest, and
                      the first one goes well.

                      I'll need to talk to a few folks before I can confirm the date, but April 13th is looking like a
                      real possibility.

                      Ursula

                    • hallgrim@greathall.org
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 27, 2008

                        Hi Three Mountains Denizens:

                        Your YAC Minister (regional marshal) is Daði Mánaskröggr Vébrandsson [dan@...].  To get your marshallate staff up, you should be conferring with Senior YAC marshals in your area or with Daði.  If you are not having success going through these normal channels, then please contact me.

                        Hallgrim

                        KDYC

                        Meri of the Bears is 3Ms YAC Sr. Marshall, but as 3M Knight Marshall, she has plenty to do
                        without trying to build up the YAC program too. 3M is desparately in need of a YAC deputy
                        officer and some YAC Marshalls. 3M has a couple of events coming up in '09 that would
                        benefit from having an organized baronial YAC program, for we have both July Coronation
                        and Sport of Kings ahead for next summer.

                        One thing I've been thinking about doing, but I'd want to have the YAC officer and/or a
                        YAC marshall with me would be to do a YAC night in spring to get kids coming out to fight
                        practice and go over the equipment with the parents, and do a general orientation night,
                        and maybe a sword construction workshop, and demo with it. I know Thora and
                        Gianni(3M's and Stromgard's current Youth Champion) would be happy to help with the
                        fighting demo part.

                        <snip>

                        --- In AnTirYAC@yahoogroups.com, "Skyler" <kane_blackrose@...> wrote:

                        > Hail and well met,
                        > MY name is Cailin MacGregor, I am the LT of the mercenary company
                        > The Iron Ring. It has recently been brought to my attention that my
                        > barony is slighly lacking in the YAC department and I have come to
                        > assist in rectifying that situation.
                        >

                        > Yours In Service,
                        > Cailin MacGregor
                        > Lieutenant of The Iron Ring
                        > Cruoris pro Aurum, Aurum pro Gloria!

                        <snip>

                      • Daði
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 27, 2008

                          Sorry for the lack of response here, the holidays have been a whirlwind!

                          Cailin, Ursula,

                          Please feel free to contact me directly via email dan@... or phone 425-210-2101!

                          Let’s get your structure in place.   J   The more programs we have going the better!

                          Thanks,

                          Daði

                          Your YAC Minister (regional marshal) is Daði Mánaskröggr Vébrandsson [dan@...].  To get your marshallate staff up, you should be conferring with Senior YAC marshals in your area or with Daði.  If you are not having success going through these normal channels, then please contact me.

                          Hallgrim

                          KDYC

                          Meri of the Bears is 3Ms YAC Sr. Marshall, but as 3M Knight Marshall, she has plenty to do
                          without trying to build up the YAC program too. 3M is desparately in need of a YAC deputy
                          officer and some YAC Marshalls. 3M has a couple of events coming up in '09 that would
                          benefit from having an organized baronial YAC program, for we have both July Coronation
                          and Sport of Kings ahead for next summer.

                          One thing I've been thinking about doing, but I'd want to have the YAC officer and/or a
                          YAC marshall with me would be to do a YAC night in spring to get kids coming out to fight
                          practice and go over the equipment with the parents, and do a general orientation night,
                          and maybe a sword construction workshop, and demo with it. I know Thora and
                          Gianni(3M's and Stromgard's current Youth Champion) would be happy to help with the
                          fighting demo part.

                          <snip>

                          --- In AnTirYAC@yahoogroups.com, "Skyler" <kane_blackrose@...> wrote:

                          > Hail and well met,
                          > MY name is Cailin MacGregor, I am the LT of the mercenary company
                          > The Iron Ring. It has recently been brought to my attention that my
                          > barony is slighly lacking in the YAC department and I have come to
                          > assist in rectifying that situation.
                          >

                          > Yours In Service,
                          > Cailin MacGregor
                          > Lieutenant of The Iron Ring
                          > Cruoris pro Aurum, Aurum pro Gloria!

                          <snip>

                        • Alasdair
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 19, 2010
                            Hello, I am HL Alasdair Mac Roibeirt, the new Youth Warden for the Barony of Blatha An Oir. I am also a baronial deputy heavy marshall for the barony. I am a squire to Baron Sir Aleksii and have been fighting for about 12 years all together. I also am a father of 4 boys, who have been in and out of the SCA for most of their lives. I came into the yac program due to my boys, yes all four are boys, and then started to tackle some of the issues with the program. I look forward to getting our baronial program back in gear, especially with regards to the Karl Redstone tourney traditionally held at autumn war.

                            Alasdair
                          • La
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 20, 2011
                              I just wanted to introduce myself to those that may or may not know who we are. I am Ingmar the Tactful (?) and my son Casey the Fearless. We are looking forward to meeting you all at future events.
                              I have been eventing for many years as a bard for House Gremlin. I had to take about 7 seasons off, but have returned.
                              Casey the Fearless has just started and I am afraid (rather my wallet) that he may be addicted already. :)
                            • Brad Thompson
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 20, 2011

                                Welcome Ingmar and Casey. I met Casey before the boar hunt where he explained the difference between a bokken and a katana. I was very impressed.

                                I hope to make your acquaintance as well as meet Casey in upcoming events.

                                Cornelius Oakson

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 20, 2011
                                  I look forward to it. Casey has not stopped talking about it.. You would think that he was knight already.. lol