Re: Use of the new rules

  • sabletheblack
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 15, 2008
      Greetings everyone,

      I am new to this group, but consider myself a relative experienced
      if mediocre fighter of different forms, many which have found their
      place within SCA sanctioned as well as some of the fringe groups that
      seem to populate around the SCA.

      I recently have read the ABYAC and whole-heartedly agree that use
      of rattan in a "boffer-styled" tournament is completely unacceptable.
      In addition, I would like to note head-shots in any unarmored combat
      is not cool as well. Does it happen? Yes it does. This is why I and
      others who practice this style as entertainment and fun have made sure
      that weapon construction are as safe as possible.

      Within the last year, I was approached about helping a themed
      event come about involving pirates and SCA'dians. As part of the
      brainstorming, I sent a copy of the DBFC (Drakkenguard Book of Feather
      Combat) to the Earl Marshal of AnTir, and we had an excellent
      discussion about the use of these rules at a sanctioned event. It was
      a very constructive conversation, despite the inability to move
      forward with the event we were working on.

      For those not familiar with DBFC let me give you a few points to
      work from (if you want a copy of the rules, go ahead and email me and
      I will be glad to forward a copy in pdf to you). Weapons are
      constructed of PVC and pool noodles, being held together with
      athletic, duct or stage tape. They can optionally be covered with
      fabric. The end result is a weapon that is relatively soft, without
      any hard edges. Target areas are torso, arms, and legs down to the
      knee. No "armor" is allowed because it would damage the weapon and
      create a potential hazard. There aren't even blade edges marked on
      the weapons for the most part. We encourage an element of control
      especially when adults are playing with children but for the most part
      it is like playing a glorified game of tag. Injuries are rare, infact
      I can only remember one injury in the last 5-6 years that just
      required someone to sit out for a while. And it isn't always about
      the fighting....let me give you an example.

      Two years ago, I was an officer with the privateers ship, The
      Leo's Pride at an event many know as The Gathering. We had a large
      dinner and alarm bell for our ships crew and a camp near us had an
      issue at one point with it, so they appropriated it from us (as does
      happen at pirate events). We found out who took it, and many were
      ready to go "raid their camp" as does happen at this event (with
      boffers of course). Me and another member had the idea to try a
      different approach. We had every member of our crew grab some form of
      noisemaker, pots and pans, more bells, tin flutes....you name it our
      40 member complement brought it....we sent a messenger with a warning
      letter saying to return the bell...or else. Of course it was done
      with proper parchment, fountain pen and a stamp with a skull on it.
      When they refused, we showed up and made so much noise at their
      gate...it was hilarious. We had them expecting a camp raid with
      boffer weapons and heavy action trying to get the bell back, but
      instead we had them rolling on the ground holding their sides.

      The point you ask? It's just a different way to have fun at an
      event that doesn't require hundreds of dollars of equipment, sometimes
      days of training at a minimum to be authorized to play and have fun.
      Do I see camp raiding happening at an SCA event? No, at least not any
      time soon, but I can honestly say that I, many others and even some
      peerage of the SCA enjoy this kind of fun when played with the proper
      amount of safety which we show every time we play.

      In my years of experience with this sort of fun, head shots should
      be out if you do it again. And if you do it again, personally invite
      some people who do this on a regular basis to help plan, marshal and
      even participate. It could become very big.

      My apologies if I have spent a hundred words saying what 20 would
      have, but this is a subject dear to me and I would like to see events
      like this continue.

      In Service

      Sebastiaen "Sable" desRoseaux
      aka
      David Hemmer
      jaltona73@...
    • Daði
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 16, 2008

        Greetings Ursula,

            I am glad that your event went off without issues!   J    I for one, think that all foam pool noodle swords make an EXCELLENT substitute for any weapon at a feast or other rowdy-fun kind of event.   The beauty of them is, you can pretty much do whatever you want with maximum damage equivalent to a pillow fight.     I usually put a 6” – 8” PVC handle in them to make them feel sword-like, but overall, a pool noodle sword covered in light fabric (for looks) is not enough to intimidate anyone, and other than making sure folks take off their glasses, allows for the headshot aspect.

        Perhaps you could suggest this to the organizers for next year!

        This is what we use for un-official capture the flag etc around these parts.    We use the same hit-locations etc of the YABCs to keep continuity.

        Cheers,

        -= Daði

      • ursula_of_fowlkeep
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 20, 2008
          Hi Daði,

          I am so glad that the "boffer" tourney went off without a problem. I like your ideas about
          weapon construction for the next time such an event is schedualed. I was rather worried
          about the thought of unarmored people doing head shots with YAC legal weapons, I think
          the new rattan rules must have stopped folks from making new weapons for the boffer
          tourney. Thank goodness.

          I will certainly talk to the next person who puts on this sort of event, and forward your
          suggestions to them. I think I'll also suggest that losing both arms should be the winning
          blow, since the theme was "too many cooks in the kitchen" anyone who has lost both arms
          can't stir the pot, so they are out of the kitchen. That would be a heck of a lot safer.

          --- In AnTirYAC@yahoogroups.com, Daði <dan@...> wrote:

          > Greetings Ursula,
          >

          > I am glad that your event went off without issues! J I for one,
          > think that all foam pool noodle swords make an EXCELLENT substitute for any
          > weapon at a feast or other rowdy-fun kind of event. The beauty of them is,
          > you can pretty much do whatever you want with maximum damage equivalent to a
          > pillow fight. I usually put a 6" – 8" PVC handle in them to make them
          > feel sword-like, but overall, a pool noodle sword covered in light fabric
          > (for looks) is not enough to intimidate anyone, and other than making sure
          > folks take off their glasses, allows for the headshot aspect.
          >

          > Perhaps you could suggest this to the organizers for next year!
          >

          > This is what we use for un-official capture the flag etc around these parts.
          > We use the same hit-locations etc of the YABCs to keep continuity.

          > Cheers,
          >
          > -= Daði

        • Daði Mánaskröggr Vébrandsson
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 20, 2008