Use of the new rules

  • ursula_of_fowlkeep
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 10, 2008
      Greetings, I have an interesting situation that I am looking at. I thought I would mention
      it here, because many of us involved in the YAC rewrite are on this list.

      One event that is growing in popularity are women's "boffer" tourney's, done as an
      entertainment at feasts.

      I don't have an issue with having the event, but I have a concern if they use the new YAC
      rules weapon construction rules, and the combatants in the tourney are without armour,
      and to win a bout one must hit one's opponent on the head.

      I know the kids will play at campsite with their YAC swords and no armor, but what any
      kids playing with YAC weapons around me hears is, NO headshots, no soft
      targets(privates, belly, and kidneys), pull their shots, and I'll take weapons away from any
      kid who cannot handle that. Whacking at each others arms, legs, and sides is a whole
      different kettle of fish than headshots.

      I have a growing concern about this sort of event, if real YAC weapons are used in an
      organized event that has head shots as the winning blow. In this region we don't have a lot
      of YAC marshalls, so there isn't anyone stepping in and voicing concerns about the use of
      the YAC rules in this way.

      Personally I'd rather they use fabric covered, all foam weapons for safety in an unarmoured
      combat competition. I was going to let Thora fight, until I discovered that the weapons
      were to be constructed with YAC rules.

      Am I being a total worry wort, or is this something that needs attention. The upcoming
      event is so soon, that I am asking more for future events, so I'll know whether to speak up
      or not.

      I'd love some feedback, I know Hallgrim is very busy with work, but there are other YAC
      marshalls here, and I would like to hear their thoughts. I haven't said anything to the
      autocrat, I don't even know if she knows the rules have been changed to rattan cores. I felt
      I should get some input here first.

      Thanks,

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 10, 2008
        Have the rattan core rule been made official?  I thought they where still probationary/experimental?  If they have been made official, I would suggest to your group they use the old rules, and as an added precaution, I would also suggest they use funnoodles in the construction or the fabric covered foam like you suggested.  I would suggest this for two reasons:  1)  the extra added foam or lack of solid core in the later case;  2)  to help prevent YAC weapons being confused for them, and accidently used in their steed.
           YIS,
             Lord Jean-Pierre

        Illic est haud affectus , illic est pacis.
        Illic est haud ignarus , illic est scientia.
        Illic est haud perturbatio , illic est serenus.
        Illic est haud chaos , illic est consensio.
        Illic est haud nex , illic est Phasmatis.

        myspace.com/jpcolbert

[...]

        Ursula

      • ursula_of_fowlkeep
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 11, 2008
          When the new rules were signed in September, rattan cores were made offical. Hallgrim
          did write a memo, after turning the new rules into Crown in July, allowing PEX and PVC to
          be used for the remainder of tourney season. I haven't seen the memo, so I don't know
          exactly when it will expire, if it hasn't already. The new rules are the ones posted on the
          kingdom website. I'm not sure the old rules are available anymore.

          This event is this weekend, and the rules for combat were just posted a yesterday, so I
          think I'm out of luck doing anything about this event, but I think it's something that needs
          to be discussed in the YAC community. I am really uncomfortable with the idea of women
          in revel garb whacking at each others heads with stylized YAC sticks. Their weapons are to
          be made to look like kitchen impliments, but some of those weapons may be as hard as a
          YAC sword.

          Granted a number of women will make all foam weapons, which I feel fine about, but this
          could get a bit rough if someone made a real YAC rules weapon and uses it. I even had
          half a thought of making something for the tourney, just to prove my point, but I didn't
          want to waste the tape, foam, and rattan. Plus I will not be fighting.

          This feels like a misuse of the YAC rules to me. We wrote the rules for Armored
          Combatants, and this "boffer" tourney is something completly different, and the
          combatants will not be wearing armour. I wouldn't be so worried if the winning blow was
          to take both arms, but this is the first hit on the head wins, so these women will be aiming
          for heads, which is very different. I know someone who was injured in one of these
          tourneys a couple of years ago. The tape caught her cornia, and she had to go to the
          hospital. Her eye is fine now, thankfully.

          For YAC I love the new rattan weapons, I've made 4 of them, they make the Dragons look a
          lot more like heavys when they fight because the sword profile is thinner and the action is
          faster. I have developed a healthy respect for YAC swords after working with them, but
          the autocrat must have thought "kids rules, of course it's safe." Perhaps there needs to be
          a memo afirming that YAC weapons are to be used for armourd combat in organized
          tourneys and competitions. Unarmored fun tourneys should use different weapons
          construction.

          I know YAC swords will get campsite use, but that isn't an organized event or competition,
          and it's not my business what people do on their own time. It's only organized stuff that I
          am concerned is a misuse of the rules.

          If I had known the "boffer" tourney was going to use the YAC rules for weapons
          construction sooner, I would have said something to the autocrat, but at this point I'm
          gathering info for the next time one of these "boffer" tourneys is schedualed.

          --- In AnTirYAC@yahoogroups.com, Jean Colbert <hljpcolbert@...> wrote:

          > Have the rattan core rule been made official?  I thought they where still probationary/
          experimental?  If they have been made official, I would suggest to your group they use the
          old rules, and as an added precaution, I would also suggest they use funnoodles in the
          construction or the fabric covered foam like you suggested.  I would suggest this for two
          reasons:  1)  the extra added foam or lack of solid core in the later case;  2)  to help
          prevent YAC weapons being confused for them, and accidently used in their steed.
          >    YIS,
          >      Lord Jean-Pierre
          >
          > Illic est haud affectus , illic est pacis.
          > Illic est haud ignarus , illic est scientia.
          > Illic est haud perturbatio , illic est serenus.
          > Illic est haud chaos , illic est consensio.
          > Illic est haud nex , illic est Phasmatis.
          >
          > myspace.com/jpcolbert

        • ursula_of_fowlkeep
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 15, 2008
            The "boffer" tourney was last weekend, most of the women wouldn't do it because a hit on
            the head was a killing blow, so mostly kids did the competition. The autocrat brought all
            the weapons which were PVC, tape, and lots of open cell foam. Fortunatly no one was hurt.
            I'm relieved no one brought proper youth rattan.

            I wasn't all that suprised that the tourney had trouble getting women to fight. I mean a
            head shot for the killing blow and no helms, I wouldn't do it, and I clearly wasn't the only
            one who felt that way. I still feel uncomfortable about someone saying use YAC rules to
            make weapons for an organized unarmoured competition, even though this particular
            "boffer" activity turned out to be pretty tame.

            --- In AnTirYAC@yahoogroups.com, "ursula_of_fowlkeep" <solem_atrum@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > experimental?  If they have been made official, I would suggest to your group they use
            the
            > old rules, and as an added precaution, I would also suggest they use funnoodles in the
            > construction or the fabric covered foam like you suggested.  I would suggest this for
            two
            > reasons:  1)  the extra added foam or lack of solid core in the later case;  2)  to help
            > prevent YAC weapons being confused for them, and accidently used in their steed.
            > >    YIS,
            > >      Lord Jean-Pierre
            > >
            > > Illic est haud affectus , illic est pacis.
            > > Illic est haud ignarus , illic est scientia.
            > > Illic est haud perturbatio , illic est serenus.
            > > Illic est haud chaos , illic est consensio.
            > > Illic est haud nex , illic est Phasmatis.

          • sabletheblack
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 15, 2008
              Greetings everyone,

              I am new to this group, but consider myself a relative experienced
              if mediocre fighter of different forms, many which have found their
              place within SCA sanctioned as well as some of the fringe groups that
              seem to populate around the SCA.

              I recently have read the ABYAC and whole-heartedly agree that use
              of rattan in a "boffer-styled" tournament is completely unacceptable.
              In addition, I would like to note head-shots in any unarmored combat
              is not cool as well. Does it happen? Yes it does. This is why I and
              others who practice this style as entertainment and fun have made sure
              that weapon construction are as safe as possible.

              Within the last year, I was approached about helping a themed
              event come about involving pirates and SCA'dians. As part of the
              brainstorming, I sent a copy of the DBFC (Drakkenguard Book of Feather
              Combat) to the Earl Marshal of AnTir, and we had an excellent
              discussion about the use of these rules at a sanctioned event. It was
              a very constructive conversation, despite the inability to move
              forward with the event we were working on.

              For those not familiar with DBFC let me give you a few points to
              work from (if you want a copy of the rules, go ahead and email me and
              I will be glad to forward a copy in pdf to you). Weapons are
              constructed of PVC and pool noodles, being held together with
              athletic, duct or stage tape. They can optionally be covered with
              fabric. The end result is a weapon that is relatively soft, without
              any hard edges. Target areas are torso, arms, and legs down to the
              knee. No "armor" is allowed because it would damage the weapon and
              create a potential hazard. There aren't even blade edges marked on
              the weapons for the most part. We encourage an element of control
              especially when adults are playing with children but for the most part
              it is like playing a glorified game of tag. Injuries are rare, infact
              I can only remember one injury in the last 5-6 years that just
              required someone to sit out for a while. And it isn't always about
              the fighting....let me give you an example.

              Two years ago, I was an officer with the privateers ship, The
              Leo's Pride at an event many know as The Gathering. We had a large
              dinner and alarm bell for our ships crew and a camp near us had an
              issue at one point with it, so they appropriated it from us (as does
              happen at pirate events). We found out who took it, and many were
              ready to go "raid their camp" as does happen at this event (with
              boffers of course). Me and another member had the idea to try a
              different approach. We had every member of our crew grab some form of
              noisemaker, pots and pans, more bells, tin flutes....you name it our
              40 member complement brought it....we sent a messenger with a warning
              letter saying to return the bell...or else. Of course it was done
              with proper parchment, fountain pen and a stamp with a skull on it.
              When they refused, we showed up and made so much noise at their
              gate...it was hilarious. We had them expecting a camp raid with
              boffer weapons and heavy action trying to get the bell back, but
              instead we had them rolling on the ground holding their sides.

              The point you ask? It's just a different way to have fun at an
              event that doesn't require hundreds of dollars of equipment, sometimes
              days of training at a minimum to be authorized to play and have fun.
              Do I see camp raiding happening at an SCA event? No, at least not any
              time soon, but I can honestly say that I, many others and even some
              peerage of the SCA enjoy this kind of fun when played with the proper
              amount of safety which we show every time we play.

              In my years of experience with this sort of fun, head shots should
              be out if you do it again. And if you do it again, personally invite
              some people who do this on a regular basis to help plan, marshal and
              even participate. It could become very big.

              My apologies if I have spent a hundred words saying what 20 would
              have, but this is a subject dear to me and I would like to see events
              like this continue.

              In Service

              Sebastiaen "Sable" desRoseaux
              aka
              David Hemmer
              jaltona73@...
            • Daði
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 16, 2008

                Greetings Ursula,

                    I am glad that your event went off without issues!   J    I for one, think that all foam pool noodle swords make an EXCELLENT substitute for any weapon at a feast or other rowdy-fun kind of event.   The beauty of them is, you can pretty much do whatever you want with maximum damage equivalent to a pillow fight.     I usually put a 6” – 8” PVC handle in them to make them feel sword-like, but overall, a pool noodle sword covered in light fabric (for looks) is not enough to intimidate anyone, and other than making sure folks take off their glasses, allows for the headshot aspect.

                Perhaps you could suggest this to the organizers for next year!

                This is what we use for un-official capture the flag etc around these parts.    We use the same hit-locations etc of the YABCs to keep continuity.

                Cheers,

                -= Daði

              • ursula_of_fowlkeep
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 20, 2008
                  Hi Daði,

                  I am so glad that the "boffer" tourney went off without a problem. I like your ideas about
                  weapon construction for the next time such an event is schedualed. I was rather worried
                  about the thought of unarmored people doing head shots with YAC legal weapons, I think
                  the new rattan rules must have stopped folks from making new weapons for the boffer
                  tourney. Thank goodness.

                  I will certainly talk to the next person who puts on this sort of event, and forward your
                  suggestions to them. I think I'll also suggest that losing both arms should be the winning
                  blow, since the theme was "too many cooks in the kitchen" anyone who has lost both arms
                  can't stir the pot, so they are out of the kitchen. That would be a heck of a lot safer.

                  --- In AnTirYAC@yahoogroups.com, Daði <dan@...> wrote:

                  > Greetings Ursula,
                  >

                  > I am glad that your event went off without issues! J I for one,
                  > think that all foam pool noodle swords make an EXCELLENT substitute for any
                  > weapon at a feast or other rowdy-fun kind of event. The beauty of them is,
                  > you can pretty much do whatever you want with maximum damage equivalent to a
                  > pillow fight. I usually put a 6" – 8" PVC handle in them to make them
                  > feel sword-like, but overall, a pool noodle sword covered in light fabric
                  > (for looks) is not enough to intimidate anyone, and other than making sure
                  > folks take off their glasses, allows for the headshot aspect.
                  >

                  > Perhaps you could suggest this to the organizers for next year!
                  >

                  > This is what we use for un-official capture the flag etc around these parts.
                  > We use the same hit-locations etc of the YABCs to keep continuity.

                  > Cheers,
                  >
                  > -= Daði

                • Daði Mánaskröggr Vébrandsson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 20, 2008