YAC at September Crown

  • ursula_of_fowlkeep
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2008
      So was there a tourney? How did it go?

    • hallgrim@us-enable.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2008

        Hi Ursula and All:

        We had more participants this time.  Which can be expected with the location being in a more populous area than July Coronation.

        Qar-A bested Gionni in a 2 out of 3 final.

        AND, The Crown approved the new rules!  YAY!!!

        Daði took care of the logistics, thanks Daði!  I am not much of a reporter so maybe someone can add some further details?

        Hallgrim

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 5, 2008

          Hi Folks,

          Well we had about 7 fighting in the tournament.   I was a bit disappointed with the turn out (past crowns have been bigger) but the “you must have your own armor” really sped up the fights.   It was nice to have the tournament run quickly without the lag of swapping helms, gauntlets etc..

          Armor inspections were revealing.  We were using the old rules, as the crown had not quite approved the new ones, and I had to point out many retro-fits to the kids so they could make changes to be compliant.    Hard gauntlets and rigid protection over the points of the elbows and knees were the common issues.

          Much chivalry was displayed and I was very proud of all the combatants.

          One thing I noticed about Qar-A was that he was very skilled and comfortable in his gear.   This was attributed to his attending regular heavy practice and being basically mixed with the adults.

          I have decided to move our local practice to co-inside with adult heavy practice.   Hopefully this will work out and the heavies will help train.

          Anyway, its late.. I’m tired… J

          Nighty night all!

          Daði

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 9, 2008
            Huzzah! The New Rules are finally signed!!!

            Hallgrim and Daði, Thank you for the reports.

            I'm not surprised that many knees and elbows needed upgrades, I've seen awful things
            pass as knees and elbows over the years. Last week I finally found a pair of nice ice hockey
            elbows for Thora at Goodwill. I'd been sweating over this because it's really the only, in
            need of major upgrade, part of her armor. Thora will be fighting in a tourney this weekend
            in Stromgard, so I needed to get this covered.

            Gianni, who is a good friend of Thora's, has only been fighting for 2 years and has just
            turned 14, so he must have been happy to reach the final. He practices with adults mostly.
            In Three Mountains our YAC practice is at the same time with heavy practice, because all
            too often we only have one or two kids show up. It really helps the older kids to practice
            regularly with adults.

            Ursula