Re: Sword Construction

  • ursula_of_fowlkeep
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2008
      Hi Hallgrim and Daði,

      I bought the foam on a hot day, and the foam was beautiful and supple. The next day the
      temperature dropped and it became stiff and boardy. Because I wanted to get swords done
      for the next fight practice I just managed as best as the stiff foam would allow.

      I measured the foam around the stick, but it would not wrap properly. I could not get a
      close wrap without compression. They have a smaller cell 3/8 CC foam at the foam shop,
      I think I'll pick it up the next chance I get.

      I've made my past swords with pipe foam, because when Thora started, that is what the
      then KD of YAC told me to use. I picked up a piece of pipe foam to play with to see what a
      pipe foam padded rattan sword is like, because we will probably see a number of them.
      Have either of you or anyone else tried this?

      Sometimes I wonder if we should put together an online photo gallery with YAC weapons
      and armour both good and bad, as a help guide for the construction appendex. We could
      do things like photo autopseys on dead swords and replaced foam so people can see how
      pipe foam breaks down, to encorage it's frequent replacement. Maybe I'll start with Kitten
      Pig the 2nd sword of my daughter's with the loose foam, and show what we don't want.

      Hopefully more folks will chime in with what works and doesn't work so well. I am up for
      suggestions.

      --- In AnTirYAC@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Ramey" <dan@...> wrote:

      > I basically roll it up using the stick, then mark it. Cut the strip a
      > little wide, fit it on with small strips of tape, then trim to size.
      >

      > Seems to work ok, although some foam is easier than others.
      >

      > --= Daði

    • Daniel Ramey
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2008

        Hi Ursula,

        Before recently, I made ALL my swords with pipe foam.   I have managed to find a variety, but the most common is that gray stuff.    I made the my first rattan ones out of pipe foam, and after 2 practices I already have one where the padding has degraded near the tip area.    So it does work, but YMMV.

        The online photo album is a great idea.  Perhaps we can start to flesh out a Kingdom YAC page?

        Cheers,

      • hallgrim@us-enable.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2008

          Gentles All,

          As the summer has progressed my abilities at my mundane job have increased and I am getting ever more time intensive assignments.  As a result, I will not be able to take the lead as I did in the rule book on armor and equipment guides, etc.  So my proposal is this:  I am asking for a volunteer to be the project leader and editor on YAC Equipment Construction Techniques (or some similar name).  This project I think will be an ongoing project that the editor will be able to update regularly.  My role in this would to be to review the guide before publication of each revision.  It doesn’t have to be perfect, but it needs to conform to the rules.  Anyone interested being the project leader and editor for this, please send me a private email.  hallgrim@....

          Hallgrim