Re: New Rattan and vendor warning

  • ursula_of_fowlkeep
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 12, 2008
      Frank's 9 ft, 3/4" skin on ratan poles are $9.50. They will cut them down for shipping, plus
      they sell pre cut 28" ratan poles 3/4" skin on for $3.00 each. I don't know what shipping is
      like, but they are in Hunnington Beach Ca. so it's probably not too bad. Cane basket's
      prices are pretty good too, but the email us, then mail in the check, payment method got
      too convoluted for me. I had missed the link for Frank's, so I went with who all the fighters
      in my Barony recommend. Big Mistake!

      I found it so frustraiting dealing with the HH Perkins owner, the moment I said I had a
      question about the order I recieved, he immediately became cool, aloof, and dismissive of
      everything I said. I called for information and education, I had accepted I would have to eat
      the cost of the wrong cane he sold me, so I never once asked for my money back or
      replacement cane. I simply tried to understand his criteria for cane sizing. He said he just
      pulls sticks out of the metric package that has up to a 10 mm variance, no futher
      measuring. I also wanted him to be aware that AnTir is going Youth Rattan, and a little
      more info from him on his web site will save him more calls like mine, that will probably
      be much more irate. I tried to inform him of an opportunity for him, and he was rude to
      me, so I am going to warn parents away from HH Perkins when they ask me about Youth
      Rattan. I'd be mortified I sent someone to HH Perkins and have them treated like I was.

      I'm planning a Frank's order before the end of the month. I was able to cut 2 sword cores
      out of the smaller stick of the Perkins Rattan, but I did a huge amount of sanding to bring
      them down to size, losing much of the greater durability of skin on rattan. I'll try to sell
      the rest of the Perkins rattan on Craigslist, hopefully some LARP player will want it and
      have different weapons rules.

      I'm thinking about getting some extra rattan and selling it at cost at local events to help
      other parents get their kids rattan going. I am so determined to not let another parent go
      through my expeirence.

      I live in Portland Or. and there isn't any rattan dealer in town. If there was, I'd be so there.

      Ursula

      --- In AnTirYAC@yahoogroups.com, Jean Colbert <hljpcolbert@...> wrote:

      > How much was it at Frank's?  I have done a little searching and the best I found was at
      Cane and Basket supply at http://www.canebasket.com/contact.htm.%c2%a0 $11.50 for 9 foot
      pole, $8.50 for S&H if you cut it down to 3 foot sections.  Where do you live?  If I
      remember correctly, there is a place in the Freemont area of Seattle that you can pick it up
      at, but they do not have a website.  I tried looking it up, but could not remember the
      name, so I am hoping someone on this list knows what I am talking about, and can help
      you out.

    • Daniel Ramey
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 12, 2008

        Hey Jean-Pierre,

        Ping the An Tir fighters list and someone will remember the name of the … oh yeah.. I remember!   The one in Seattle is called Northwest Cane Supply.

        Cheers,

        -=Daði