Re: [AnTirYAC] New Rattan and vendor warning

  • RProwett
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 11 9:25 AM
      Has the standard changed now?  Where can I get the latest (and current) rules for YAC?  We just bought PEX for my son and daughter to make weapons out of...
      Concerned,
      Kerryk Wolfram

      On 7/11/08, ursula_of_fowlkeep <solem_atrum@...> wrote:

      I just bought some rattan for my daughters new YAC swords. I ordered
      from HH Perkins 2 9 ft. poles of 3/4th inch skin on rattan. All the
      fighters in my barony recommended HH Perkins so I thought I would get
      good service.

      Warning! Don't buy Youth Rattan from HH Perkins!

      What they sent me was 1 inch rattan though they called it 3/4th on the
      order conformation, and when I called the owner of the company, he
      was rather rude and would not listen to me about my concerns, kept
      going on about how he sells lots of rattan for SCA and I don't know
      what I'm talking about ect.

      It took me quite some time to get him to understand that we are
      changing rules, and we have a specific size of rattan required. I
      asked would he please warn other folks that 3/4th inch rattan means
      3/4" to 1 1/8" so customers won't waste money on the wrong rattan.
      Honestly, I had to repeat "would you please listen to me" 10 or 12
      times before he would.

      He was a jerk to me, treating me like I didn't know what I wanted or
      knew anything about natural materials. I ended up reading the new
      rules to him and he was like "too bad, you can sand it down". I bought
      3/4th rattan, so I wouldn't need to sand it down, orsand only a little
      bit. I am most unhappy with the treatment I recieved from HH Perkins,
      and feel it's only fair to warn others. Don't waste money on HH
      Perkins rattan, and please pass the word of warning to other parents
      wanting to buy rattan.

      I contacted Franks Cane and Rush in Cal. and they sell rattan by the
      largest diameter, so a 3/4th inch piece of rattan is 3/4 inch or less.
      The Atenveldt YAC Kingdom Deputy says they order a lot from Franks
      with good results. Their prices are better too. My next batch of
      rattan I'll try buying there.

      When I emailed to contact each cane seller, Franks emailed me back
      within the hour, my email to HH Perkins hadn't been answered in 2
      days, so I had to call. That says it all. Wish I'd found Frank's Cane
      before I ordered from Perkins.

      http://www.franksupply.com/index.html

    • ursula_of_fowlkeep
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 11 10:33 AM
        Greetings Kerryk,

        The YAC rewrite is coming together, we have been working for several
        months on it. So, yes, the rules are changing. The new rules are to be
        signed at July Coronation.

        AnTir is moving to youth padded rattan, because of may problems with
        PEX and PVC. PEX doesn't break, though it can split, but the PVC caps
        on PEX shatter horribly. The whippyness of PEX also causes shots to go
        wild, and with older kids it's too light to throw a proper shot.
        Atenveldt has been using 3/4inch padded youth rattan for 5 years
        without problem.

        The new rules allow 3/4th inch rattan, or because rattan is variable,
        the reality of it is 5/8th inch to 13/16th inch rattan, wrapped in 1/2
        inch closed cell foam. PEX weapons will be memo-ed in and sunsetted
        out this year. So you can make the PEX weapons, but they will need
        replacing for next season, the new rules will not metion PEX to avoid
        confusion, but a memo will be issued to allow PEX weapons for this
        year. The rewrite group's link is below if you want to look at the new
        rules. We are nearly done, but another set of eyes can be a good thing.

        Kerryk, if I remember right, you live out in East 3M don't you? Do you
        make it to fight practice at either 3M or Stromgard? I'll be at the 3M
        social night practice July 14th, hopefully with 2 new rattan YAC
        sticks ready for my daughter to try. If you show up, you can take a
        look at Thora's new weapons. I am also arranging our schedual so we
        can make Stromgard practice on occasion.

        Daði, Thanks for the Frank's Cane endorsement, working with Frank's
        Cane seems much better than dealing with HH Perkins. I'm so glad to
        hear Frank's cane is a good source for rattan. I'll be ordering from
        them next time. Unfortunately because I am a power tool wimp, the next
        order will be all too soon, because I don't want to hand sand markedly
        over sized rattan down to 3/4".

        --- In AnTirYAC@yahoogroups.com, RProwett <rprowett@...> wrote:

        > Has the standard changed now? Where can I get the latest (and
        > current) rules for YAC? We just bought PEX for my son and daughter
        to make
        > weapons out of...
        > Concerned,
        > Kerryk Wolfram
        >

        > On 7/11/08, ursula_of_fowlkeep <solem_atrum@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I just bought some rattan for my daughters new YAC swords. I ordered
        > > from HH Perkins 2 9 ft. poles of 3/4th inch skin on rattan. All the
        > > fighters in my barony recommended HH Perkins so I thought I would get
        > > good service.
        > >
        > > Warning! Don't buy Youth Rattan from HH Perkins!

        > >Snip>

        > > The Atenveldt YAC Kingdom Deputy says they order a lot from Franks
        > > with good results. Their prices are better too. My next batch of
        > > rattan I'll try buying there.
        > >
        > > When I emailed to contact each cane seller, Franks emailed me back
        > > within the hour, my email to HH Perkins hadn't been answered in 2
        > > days, so I had to call. That says it all. Wish I'd found Frank's Cane
        > > before I ordered from Perkins.
        > >
        > > http://www.franksupply.com/index.html
        > >
        > > YIS
        > >
        > > Ursula

      • RProwett
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 11 10:54 AM
          Thank you Ursula.  I have joined the rewrite list, and am reviewing the pages now.  This will make things easier for us.
          Yes, we live out in Hood River county (E of 3M).  Unfortunately, I don't think we will be able to make Monday's social, my son and daughter both have other commitments on Monday nights right now.  I greatly appreciate the offer though!
          And I will be checking out Frank's as well!

          YIS,
          Kerryk

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 11 8:25 PM

            How much was it at Frank's?  I have done a little searching and the best I found was at Cane and Basket supply at http://www.canebasket.com/contact.htm.  $11.50 for 9 foot pole, $8.50 for S&H if you cut it down to 3 foot sections.  Where do you live?  If I remember correctly, there is a place in the Freemont area of Seattle that you can pick it up at, but they do not have a website.  I tried looking it up, but could not remember the name, so I am hoping someone on this list knows what I am talking about, and can help you out.

               YIS,

                 Jean-Pierre

            He who angers you, controls you!

            You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 12 9:09 AM
              Frank's 9 ft, 3/4" skin on ratan poles are $9.50. They will cut them down for shipping, plus
              they sell pre cut 28" ratan poles 3/4" skin on for $3.00 each. I don't know what shipping is
              like, but they are in Hunnington Beach Ca. so it's probably not too bad. Cane basket's
              prices are pretty good too, but the email us, then mail in the check, payment method got
              too convoluted for me. I had missed the link for Frank's, so I went with who all the fighters
              in my Barony recommend. Big Mistake!

              I found it so frustraiting dealing with the HH Perkins owner, the moment I said I had a
              question about the order I recieved, he immediately became cool, aloof, and dismissive of
              everything I said. I called for information and education, I had accepted I would have to eat
              the cost of the wrong cane he sold me, so I never once asked for my money back or
              replacement cane. I simply tried to understand his criteria for cane sizing. He said he just
              pulls sticks out of the metric package that has up to a 10 mm variance, no futher
              measuring. I also wanted him to be aware that AnTir is going Youth Rattan, and a little
              more info from him on his web site will save him more calls like mine, that will probably
              be much more irate. I tried to inform him of an opportunity for him, and he was rude to
              me, so I am going to warn parents away from HH Perkins when they ask me about Youth
              Rattan. I'd be mortified I sent someone to HH Perkins and have them treated like I was.

              I'm planning a Frank's order before the end of the month. I was able to cut 2 sword cores
              out of the smaller stick of the Perkins Rattan, but I did a huge amount of sanding to bring
              them down to size, losing much of the greater durability of skin on rattan. I'll try to sell
              the rest of the Perkins rattan on Craigslist, hopefully some LARP player will want it and
              have different weapons rules.

              I'm thinking about getting some extra rattan and selling it at cost at local events to help
              other parents get their kids rattan going. I am so determined to not let another parent go
              through my expeirence.

              I live in Portland Or. and there isn't any rattan dealer in town. If there was, I'd be so there.

              Ursula

              Cane and Basket supply at http://www.canebasket.com/contact.htm.%c2%a0 $11.50 for 9 foot
              pole, $8.50 for S&H if you cut it down to 3 foot sections.  Where do you live?  If I
              remember correctly, there is a place in the Freemont area of Seattle that you can pick it up
              at, but they do not have a website.  I tried looking it up, but could not remember the
              name, so I am hoping someone on this list knows what I am talking about, and can help
              you out.
              >    YIS,
              >      Jean-Pierre
              >
              > He who angers you, controls you!
              >
              > You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him.

            • Daniel Ramey
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 12 10:59 AM

                Hey Jean-Pierre,

                Ping the An Tir fighters list and someone will remember the name of the … oh yeah.. I remember!   The one in Seattle is called Northwest Cane Supply.

                Cheers,

                -=Daði