RE: [AnTirYAC] New Rattan and vendor warning

  • Daniel Ramey
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 11, 2008

      Ursula,

          I have to add a positive review for Franks Cane Supply.     I ordered from them and they were helpful on the phone as well as email and the order arrived and was exactly what I needed.

      Cheers,

      Daði

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 11, 2008
        Has the standard changed now?  Where can I get the latest (and current) rules for YAC?  We just bought PEX for my son and daughter to make weapons out of...
        Concerned,
        Kerryk Wolfram

        On 7/11/08, ursula_of_fowlkeep <solem_atrum@...> wrote:

[...]

      • ursula_of_fowlkeep
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 11, 2008
          Greetings Kerryk,

          The YAC rewrite is coming together, we have been working for several
          months on it. So, yes, the rules are changing. The new rules are to be
          signed at July Coronation.

          AnTir is moving to youth padded rattan, because of may problems with
          PEX and PVC. PEX doesn't break, though it can split, but the PVC caps
          on PEX shatter horribly. The whippyness of PEX also causes shots to go
          wild, and with older kids it's too light to throw a proper shot.
          Atenveldt has been using 3/4inch padded youth rattan for 5 years
          without problem.

          The new rules allow 3/4th inch rattan, or because rattan is variable,
          the reality of it is 5/8th inch to 13/16th inch rattan, wrapped in 1/2
          inch closed cell foam. PEX weapons will be memo-ed in and sunsetted
          out this year. So you can make the PEX weapons, but they will need
          replacing for next season, the new rules will not metion PEX to avoid
          confusion, but a memo will be issued to allow PEX weapons for this
          year. The rewrite group's link is below if you want to look at the new
          rules. We are nearly done, but another set of eyes can be a good thing.

          Kerryk, if I remember right, you live out in East 3M don't you? Do you
          make it to fight practice at either 3M or Stromgard? I'll be at the 3M
          social night practice July 14th, hopefully with 2 new rattan YAC
          sticks ready for my daughter to try. If you show up, you can take a
          look at Thora's new weapons. I am also arranging our schedual so we
          can make Stromgard practice on occasion.

          Daði, Thanks for the Frank's Cane endorsement, working with Frank's
          Cane seems much better than dealing with HH Perkins. I'm so glad to
          hear Frank's cane is a good source for rattan. I'll be ordering from
          them next time. Unfortunately because I am a power tool wimp, the next
          order will be all too soon, because I don't want to hand sand markedly
          over sized rattan down to 3/4".

          --- In AnTirYAC@yahoogroups.com, RProwett <rprowett@...> wrote:

          > Has the standard changed now? Where can I get the latest (and
          > current) rules for YAC? We just bought PEX for my son and daughter
          to make
          > weapons out of...
          > Concerned,
          > Kerryk Wolfram
          >

          > On 7/11/08, ursula_of_fowlkeep <solem_atrum@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I just bought some rattan for my daughters new YAC swords. I ordered
          > > from HH Perkins 2 9 ft. poles of 3/4th inch skin on rattan. All the
          > > fighters in my barony recommended HH Perkins so I thought I would get
          > > good service.
          > >
          > > Warning! Don't buy Youth Rattan from HH Perkins!

          > >Snip>

          > > The Atenveldt YAC Kingdom Deputy says they order a lot from Franks
          > > with good results. Their prices are better too. My next batch of
          > > rattan I'll try buying there.
          > >
          > > When I emailed to contact each cane seller, Franks emailed me back
          > > within the hour, my email to HH Perkins hadn't been answered in 2
          > > days, so I had to call. That says it all. Wish I'd found Frank's Cane
          > > before I ordered from Perkins.
          > >
          > > http://www.franksupply.com/index.html
          > >
          > > YIS
          > >
          > > Ursula

        • RProwett
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 11, 2008
            Thank you Ursula.  I have joined the rewrite list, and am reviewing the pages now.  This will make things easier for us.
            Yes, we live out in Hood River county (E of 3M).  Unfortunately, I don't think we will be able to make Monday's social, my son and daughter both have other commitments on Monday nights right now.  I greatly appreciate the offer though!
            And I will be checking out Frank's as well!

            YIS,
            Kerryk

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 11, 2008

              How much was it at Frank's?  I have done a little searching and the best I found was at Cane and Basket supply at http://www.canebasket.com/contact.htm.  $11.50 for 9 foot pole, $8.50 for S&H if you cut it down to 3 foot sections.  Where do you live?  If I remember correctly, there is a place in the Freemont area of Seattle that you can pick it up at, but they do not have a website.  I tried looking it up, but could not remember the name, so I am hoping someone on this list knows what I am talking about, and can help you out.

                 YIS,

                   Jean-Pierre

              He who angers you, controls you!

              You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 12, 2008
                Frank's 9 ft, 3/4" skin on ratan poles are $9.50. They will cut them down for shipping, plus
                they sell pre cut 28" ratan poles 3/4" skin on for $3.00 each. I don't know what shipping is
                like, but they are in Hunnington Beach Ca. so it's probably not too bad. Cane basket's
                prices are pretty good too, but the email us, then mail in the check, payment method got
                too convoluted for me. I had missed the link for Frank's, so I went with who all the fighters
                in my Barony recommend. Big Mistake!

                I found it so frustraiting dealing with the HH Perkins owner, the moment I said I had a
                question about the order I recieved, he immediately became cool, aloof, and dismissive of
                everything I said. I called for information and education, I had accepted I would have to eat
                the cost of the wrong cane he sold me, so I never once asked for my money back or
                replacement cane. I simply tried to understand his criteria for cane sizing. He said he just
                pulls sticks out of the metric package that has up to a 10 mm variance, no futher
                measuring. I also wanted him to be aware that AnTir is going Youth Rattan, and a little
                more info from him on his web site will save him more calls like mine, that will probably
                be much more irate. I tried to inform him of an opportunity for him, and he was rude to
                me, so I am going to warn parents away from HH Perkins when they ask me about Youth
                Rattan. I'd be mortified I sent someone to HH Perkins and have them treated like I was.

                I'm planning a Frank's order before the end of the month. I was able to cut 2 sword cores
                out of the smaller stick of the Perkins Rattan, but I did a huge amount of sanding to bring
                them down to size, losing much of the greater durability of skin on rattan. I'll try to sell
                the rest of the Perkins rattan on Craigslist, hopefully some LARP player will want it and
                have different weapons rules.

                I'm thinking about getting some extra rattan and selling it at cost at local events to help
                other parents get their kids rattan going. I am so determined to not let another parent go
                through my expeirence.

                I live in Portland Or. and there isn't any rattan dealer in town. If there was, I'd be so there.

                Ursula

                Cane and Basket supply at http://www.canebasket.com/contact.htm.%c2%a0 $11.50 for 9 foot
                pole, $8.50 for S&H if you cut it down to 3 foot sections.  Where do you live?  If I
                remember correctly, there is a place in the Freemont area of Seattle that you can pick it up
                at, but they do not have a website.  I tried looking it up, but could not remember the
                name, so I am hoping someone on this list knows what I am talking about, and can help
                you out.
                >    YIS,
                >      Jean-Pierre
                >
                > He who angers you, controls you!
                >
                > You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him.

              • Daniel Ramey
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 12, 2008

                  Hey Jean-Pierre,

                  Ping the An Tir fighters list and someone will remember the name of the … oh yeah.. I remember!   The one in Seattle is called Northwest Cane Supply.

                  Cheers,

                  -=Daði