using multiple Amulet compilers on one PC

  • Bruce Boyes
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 27, 2009
      Hi

      It seems to be possible to use the color screen Gem tools and the
      monochrome Amulet tools at the same time.

      Is there a recommended way to use both a really old (2.19) and
      current Amulet compiler on the same PC? For legacy reasons we must do
      that until we can drag those old screens into the new compiler. I may
      try rebuilding them with the old syntax option and see what happens.
      But I will either blow away the working 2.19 installation when I try
      to use the 3.3.5 or I need to have both installed on one PC.

      Thanks

      Bruce

      ------- WWW.SYSTRONIX.COM ----------
      Real embedded Java and much more
      +1-801-534-1017 Salt Lake City, USA
    • Robert Smith
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 27, 2009
        You should be able to load different versions onto a PC; simply use a different directory name when installing.   I have directories with Amulet2.1.9, Amulet3.1, Amulet3.2, Amulet3.3.2, and Amulet3.3.3 and have no problems using any of them.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 28, 2009
          Amulet refers to the widget jar file with a System environ classpath variable. This will refer to the most recent install, wherever that was. I don't know how often the jar file changes. It would seem this jar file should be found first in the same Amulet folder tree in which the compiler is running, and only if not found there should it use the classpath environment setting. Otherwise there's nothing associating the current running compiler to the correct widgets.jar file.

          Before running a compiler you could insert the desired jar file into the classpath ahead of all other references. But that adds a new entry every time you do this. Is there a better way?

          Can anyone from Amulet shed light on how this works?

          Also is there any problem installing both the color tools and the 3.3.X mono tools on the same PC?

          Thanks
          Bruce
        • Bruce Boyes
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 28, 2009
            Well, it looks like Widgets.jar has not changed since 2001. I just did an install of 2.0 full version, then 3.0.4u update then 3.3.5u and it actually has an older Widgets than 2.19.x2. So I copied over 2.19.x2's Widgets to my Amulet3 folder.

            System environment variable "classpath" does get modified, but since there is no apparent difference in the Widgets, this should not be a problem. So I'm just having one addition to classpath: %CLASSPATH%;C:\PROGRA~1\Amulet3\Projects\applets\Widgets.jar
            Tried it with the 2.19.x2 compiler - no joy:
            ERROR: compile_me.htm(16) -- Amulet:SPI(2).byteOut(113) not a valid href

            Amulet also makes registry entry in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE but how these are used I'm not sure.

            So what I will try next is an install of 2.19.x2 into the generic Amulet folder, then copy that to an Amulet 219x2 folder, then install 3.3.5 into that plain Amulet folder, then copy that to Amulet335. Then rename or copy the compiler version I want to use to the generic \Amulet folder.
          • Bruce Boyes
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 28, 2009
              OK, the approach described in my previous post works. I have old syntax screens and new syntax screens which will only compile with the old or new compilers, respectively.

              So I copy old Amulet into the default Amulet folder (or rename) and then I can build old screens. Then copy or rename new Amulet into the default folder and I can build the new screens.

              You need to empty the default folder location between changes here or else you will corrupt the old folder by copying old Amulet files over the top of new ones and then saving that back into the "old
              folder.

              I made Amulet start menu links to renamed readme.htm (readme219x2.htm and readme335.htm) and made those folders read only, along with the compiler binaries.

              Looks like the only file changed in a compiler run is AMULET.INI. So I can copy from the version folder into C:\Program Files\Amulet, use it, copy back the .INI file if I want to, then delete the contents and I'm ready to do it again. And I have permanent doc links to both versions so I can use and compare the APIs at any time.

              Hopefully we will soon be leaving 2.19.x2 behind for good and this will all become moot.

              Maybe all that will help someone else!

              Bruce
            • Bruce Boyes
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 28, 2009