Re: [AmInLeip] ATMs (Geldautomat)?

  • DJ Arcanus
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2005
      On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Bob Keyes wrote:

      > I don't think there's any machine in Agra, does anyone remember if the
      > ELF Gas Station just outside the Agra gates has one? I tend to think it
      > doesn't.
      it does not. the closest geldautomat to the agra is about... 4-6 blocks
      going back toward the city. there is a bank on the corner on the left
      side of the street. just keep walking. jv and i almost turned back
      'cause we'd walk further than 400 meters.

      > There's really not much of anything near the Haus Auensee, except the
      > miniature railroad.
      if you need one all the way out here, i remember spotting one near the
      tram stop. the closest stop to auensee is the end of the line. just look
      around.

      > I also don't recall that there was a geldautomat at the Nobitz airport,
      > and I remember they're not easy to find in Altenburg either, but not
      > impossible.
      there is now one inside the altenburg airport. if you suddenly need euros
      when you get off the plane, they are available. better than going to the
      currency exchange counter.

      -tony
    • althea@razorwire.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2005
        There's no ATM at AGRA, but there's one at the bank that's a 5-minute walk
        down the street toward downtown...
        right across from that little restaurant that serves breakfast with a
        sidewalk cafe...

        I usually make sure I pick up enough cash upon arrival at the Hauptbahnhof
        - you have your pick of banks there!

        Altenburg has nothing - well, except a little stand selling beer outside.
        (Beer is of primary importance!)
        I've had to do a bit of impromptu currency exchange to give people change
        to pay the bus fare from Nobitz to Altenburg, because they arrived with
        nothing but British pounds...

        Althea

      • althea@razorwire.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2005
          > there is now one inside the altenburg airport. if you suddenly need euros
          > when you get off the plane, they are available. better than going to the
          > currency exchange counter.

          Good to know! Please disregard my earlier message to the contrary!
          Progress marches on! ;-)

          Althea
        • apokalypse_1313
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 1, 2005
            One more thing regarding ATMs: CHECK WITH YOUR BANK about withdrawal
            limits. My bank would only let me retrive the equivalent of $100 US a
            day. This created numerous problems, and I even called them to try and
            remedy this (to no avail).

            The bottom line: be prepared to USE COLD HARD CASH in Germany. I know,
            I know, some places accept credit cards (certain vendors at the Agra,
            most restaurants). However, many places DON'T LIKE TO because the way
            businesses are charged for using credit cards is to their disadvantage
            in Germany. They would much rather have you use an EC bank card, for
            example.

            I had to run to the Sparkasse near the Agra every single day during
            the festival (and I won't even BEGIN to tell you about my hard-cash
            woes for the entire rest of the summer I stayed in Germany).I remember
            standing at Saturn (a huge CD and electronics megastore like Virgin)
            in Berlin and being turned away at the register because they didn't
            take credit cards. I also had problems paying for a pension that
            wouldn't take credit cards, for example. Just something to keep in mind.

            Heide

            --- In AmericansInLeipzig@yahoogroups.com, "cage232323" <contact@c...>

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 1, 2005
              One more thing....

              > In the city center, there are a number of them. They charge no fees

              I was charged fees (can't remember exactly how much, but about 4-6
              Euros for every 100$USD I withdrew, which is the reason I mentioned
              calling up my bank to complain about withdrawal limits).

              Perhaps not all machines charge fees (not to counter Bob's report),
              but I know these were fees listed on ATMs and not charged by my bank,
              for instance.

              Heide
            • DJ Arcanus
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 1, 2005
                On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, apokalypse_1313 wrote:

                > I was charged fees (can't remember exactly how much, but about 4-6 Euros
                > for every 100$USD I withdrew, which is the reason I mentioned calling up
                > my bank to complain about withdrawal limits).
                >
                > Perhaps not all machines charge fees (not to counter Bob's report), but
                > I know these were fees listed on ATMs and not charged by my bank, for
                > instance.
                many -banks- in europe do not charge fees because most banks in europe
                charge their own customers for going out of network whereas most banks in
                the us do the opposite.

                i have encountered a few banks in europe that charge fees, but as a whole,
                it's not so common. most non-banks charge fees, but some don't. it's
                sort of like playing roulette, though you get far better odds going to a
                bank.

                my bank doesn't charge me for using an out-of-network bank so travelin
                abroad rules for me. i pretty much get free atm service most of the time.
                :)

                -tony
              • Ian Dutton
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 1, 2005
                  On 3/1/05 2:50 PM, "apokalypse_1313" <apokalypse_1313@...> wrote:

                  > I was charged fees (can't remember exactly how much, but about 4-6
                  > Euros for every 100$USD I withdrew, which is the reason I mentioned
                  > calling up my bank to complain about withdrawal limits).
                  >
                  > Perhaps not all machines charge fees (not to counter Bob's report),
                  > but I know these were fees listed on ATMs and not charged by my bank,
                  > for instance.

                  Sounds like there's something fishy with your bank!

                  To my knowledge, the number of countries that allow ATMs to charge service
                  fees is very limited - like, just US and Canada. In all my travels, I've
                  never been charged a service fee anywhere else - but of course, your own
                  bank may charge for using a different bank's ATM (my credit union does not,
                  thankfully).

                  I don't mean to say I know definitively for everywhere, but it's not a
                  common practice, and to my knowledge, it is not legal in Germany.

                  Another consideration I wanted to add to this thread - people tend to forget
                  that the weekend of the WGT is a holiday weekend in Germany. Banks will
                  close on Friday afternoon and not reopen until Tuesday morning, so if you
                  need to do anything that requires a human, you must do it before closing
                  time Friday. That used to also be the case for the stores, but it is
                  becoming much more common for stores to remain open during the weekend.

                  Ian
                • apokalypse_1313
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 1, 2005
                    > Sounds like there's something fishy with your bank!

                    Uh...no :)
                    Except for the fact that they refused (and still refuse, present
                    tense) to increase the amount of withdrawals allowed overseas. From my
                    understanding, most banks (or credit unions, which I prefer) are more
                    flexible, so I really recommend contacting them before you go. I have
                    also had a friend tell me that their card was locked after withdrawing
                    money overseas because the bank believed it to be stolen (i.e., an
                    unusal spending pattern). Always best to contact them and check the
                    details!
                  • Bob Keyes
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 1, 2005
                      On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, apokalypse_1313 wrote:

                      > > Sounds like there's something fishy with your bank!
                      >
                      > Uh...no :)
                      > Except for the fact that they refused (and still refuse, present
                      > tense) to increase the amount of withdrawals allowed overseas. From my
                      > understanding, most banks (or credit unions, which I prefer) are more
                      > flexible, so I really recommend contacting them before you go. I have
                      > also had a friend tell me that their card was locked after withdrawing
                      > money overseas because the bank believed it to be stolen (i.e., an
                      > unusal spending pattern). Always best to contact them and check the
                      > details!

                      I've had luck using my NetBank ATM card overseas. No fees, I've never run
                      up against a withdrawal limit, it's just worked well. Not that everything
                      is great with this bank, but the account is free, you open it online and
                      never have to visit a "bricks-and-mortar" location (ha ha what a dot-com
                      term!). http://www.netbank.com - These days I do most of my business at a
                      local bank but keep a couple of hundred in my NetBank just for
                      emergencies. Oh, and they're a member of the Sum network so its easy to
                      find banks in the US (or at least in Boston) where you don't have to pay
                      any withdrawal fees.

                      Just don't ever bounce a check.
                    • Marc17
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 1, 2005
                        On Feb 28, 2005, at 5:50 PM, cage232323 wrote:

                        > Are ATMS / cash machines readily available in and around the venues,
                        > markets, and city?

                        Everybody else seems to have covered most items. There are plenty of
                        ATMs in the city center but we had issues finding ones that would
                        actually take our bank cards despite supposedly being on some of the
                        same systems as listed on our cards. IIRC, Jeff actually got locked
                        inside the little glass room for a bit because it thought his card was
                        suspicious. The Reisebank in the bottom of the Hauptbahnhof was where
                        we finally had to go. I seem to remember them also being open on days
                        the others weren't but I could very well be wrong. It's good to call
                        your credit and bank card companies and tell them you're going out of
                        the country. I've seen cards locked because of unknown charges
                        overseas. Call them and inform them that you're going overseas and
                        they'll note it in your file and hopefully see it before canceling your
                        card. If you take cash American, you can usually get your hotel to
                        exchange it for Euros (at the Ren anyway).

                      • DJ Arcanus
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 1, 2005
                          On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Marc17 wrote:

                          > It's good to call your credit and bank card companies and tell them
                          > you're going out of the country. I've seen cards locked because of
                          > unknown charges overseas. Call them and inform them that you're going
                          > overseas and they'll note it in your file and hopefully see it before
                          > canceling your card.
                          yes. i forgot to mention this. my bank will deny overseas credit card
                          charges unless i go in and leave a note telling them i'll be out of the
                          country on certain dates. they don't care about atm transactions because
                          they believe a pin is enough security.

                          remember, it'll be a weekend, so it may not be possible to reach your
                          bank while you're in leipzig. a few simple phone calls can save you
                          hours, days, or even a whole weekend of woe.

                          if the atm does not accept your card, just try the next one. i had a
                          serious problem finding an atm in krefeld germany last year during
                          maschinenfest. although my debit card is a visa, atms that accepted visa
                          would NOT accept my card. i finally found 2 atms that had a cirrus
                          symbol.

                          this shouldn't be the case with most atms in leipzig, but just in case,
                          don't be discouraged. the closer you are to the city center, the more
                          likely you are to find an atm that will give you euros.

                          -tony
                        • nowheregirl55@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 2, 2005
                            Are ATMS / cash machines readily available in and around the venues,
                            markets, and city?

                            -Mark

                            > I believe there was one in the Hauptbahnof...

                            Sandi =)