Re: [AFA Ferret] vaccines/reactions/different types of vaccines/rabies reaction Vs distemper reaction

  • Jane Bradley
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2003
      Suzi,  Our vet will only give the vaccines seperate.  Also,  we must wait at her office at least 20 minutes after the shot to watch for any early onset reaction.  If you think about it, most pediatritions won't give your children but one shot at a time, so it just makes sense to space out the ferrets as well.  So far, we haven't had any problems and we have been having ferrets vaccinated for 6 years now.
      Good luck!    Jane

      suziq-rn@... wrote:
      Hi
      I would like some input, information and any common experiences you may have had about ferrets and vaccines. 2 of my ferrets reacted badly last year, very sick, vomiting, bloody poop and were just miserable. I don't know if I am going to put them through it again. AFTER an initial reaction, the SECOND can be much more SEVERE, right?
      The other day I brought two different ferrets to the vets, I was told that ferrets may react more severely if both the rabies and distemper were given together. This vet wanted to give only the rabies shot and then wait a week for the distemper shot.
      Is this common?
      I always thought it was the distemper shot that gave the reactions more than the rabies.
      Is there a higher incidence of reactions to the distemper vaccines than the rabies?
      Last time 2 of my ferrets had the reactions, both the rabies and the distemper was given on the same day. Should I try just the rabies shot and wait and see what happens? and then a week later the distemper? Does it make a huge difference if the vaccines are separated?
      Also what kind of distemper vaccines are available? Isn't there a Ferravac, galaxy d, and a purevax?
      Which is best, with lowest reactions overall?
      Is there anyone who has more info on these distemper vaccines. And is there a web site for each of their companies products available.
      This way I could show this to my vet.
      I always pre treat with children's benadryl now and have had no reactions in the rest yet. I always stay at the vets at least 30 to 45 to wait and see if they will be ok. We do live 5 min. away, which is good too. The only problem is that this vet doesn't treat a lot of ferrets, so may be inexperienced. My other vet that I used for surgeries is much more knowledgable, but is quite far away. I sometimes get nervous at this local vets office, hopping they have a handle on what they are doing. So far they seem to, and are very nice and eager to learn. But I feel I have to learn and know as much as possible to make sure everything is done right.
      PLEASE help!!!
      I would greatly appreciate it!
      suzi

    • mike j hamm
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31, 2003
        It is common and recommended that you give your ferrets their rabies shot
        and then the distemper shot 1-2 weeks later. This is to cut down on any
        reactions that your ferrets might have. It is more common to have a
        reaction with the distemper shot rather than the rabies shot, but both
        can happen. It just depends on your ferret. Due to that problem, they
        came out with the Purevax (made by Merial) and it reduces the amount of
        reactions to your ferret versus the Fervac-D (made by United). If you are
        at all concerned that your ferrets will have a reaction, give them the
        Purevax shot and not the Fervac-D. Galaxy-D is not approved and should
        not be given to your ferrets. The only rabies shot that is approved is
        the Imrab-3 (made by Merial) and the amount of reactions has been low on
        this shot. Always wait up to an hour after each shot to make sure that
        there is no reactions. Be careful with using the benadryl because
        although it has been shown to prevent or lessen the reaction, it is hard
        to tell whether your ferret is having a reaction to the shot or to the
        benadryl or to both. If your ferret has already had a reaction then you
        know how scary it can be and you might want to take your ferrets to the
        more experienced vet so that they can be prepared to handle whatever
        situations that might happen. Good luck!
        Sara and Mike
        Spokane, WA.