Re: Merlin Has Ulcers

  • wack.mole
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 31, 2012
      Just curious, how's Merlin doing?
      Tracy

      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 1, 2012
        --- In AmericanFerretAssociation@yahoogroups.com, "wack.mole" <wack.mole@...> wrote:

        > Just curious, how's Merlin doing?

        He's doing much better, thanks. Right this moment he's running around putting toys away. He's eating his regular food, and his poops are pretty normal.

        He's still on all the meds, although we've run out of the A/D food. I'm supposed to check in again with our vet tomorrow to see whether it is time to change his treatment.

        It seems so unusual to have a ferret with a curable problem. All too often it seems that when a ferret gets sick it's a matter of mitigating the symptoms that will never go away.

        Dav Vandenbroucke
        davanden at cox dot net
      • dav_and_frances_vandenbroucke
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 4, 2012
          I talked to Dr. Wardell last night, and she wants us to run through Merlin's medication without refilling them. We're supposed to bring him in for another blood test next week, but he seems to be out of the woods now.

          Dav Vandenbroucke
          davanden at cox dot net
        • ferretmomCindy
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 4, 2012
            That's good. If the Helico isn't resistant and is treated long enough that it doesn't become resistant, it usually works out well. It tends to return in intestinal lymphomas. Helico is underdiagnosed. ferretmomCindy

            dav_and_frances_vandenbroucke <davanden@...> wrote:

            >I talked to Dr. Wardell last night, and she wants us to run through Merlin's medication without refilling them. We're supposed to bring him in for another blood test next week, but he seems to be out of the woods now.
            >
            >Dav Vandenbroucke
            >davanden at cox dot net

          • Theresa Lucas
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 5, 2012
              Hi Im new to the group & new to ferrets. PLEASE explain these implants ! thanks, Terri
            • dav_and_frances_vandenbroucke
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 6, 2012
                --- In AmericanFerretAssociation@yahoogroups.com, Theresa Lucas <Petlvr80@...> wrote:

                >>Hi Im new to the group & new to ferrets. PLEASE explain these implants ! thanks, Terri<<

                Terri,

                A number of anti-cancer drugs can be administered as a slow-release implant. That means the drug is released over a period of months and helps reduce the growth of tumors or at least treat the symptoms, without the ferret having to go to the vet for repeated shots.

                Dav Vandenbroucke
                davanden at cox dot net
              • ferretmomCindy
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 6, 2012
                  Hi Terri:) Have we welcomed you? If not, WELCOME! ferretmomCindy