feeding advice

  • April H
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2011
      I was given a ferret age 2, he won't eat the dry ferret food, will only eat the food if I mix it with water.The package says that baby ferrets you mix it with water but adults eat it dry. Does it cause any harm for him to eat it either way? I saw some posts about feeding chicken livers which sounds delicious to me, raw or cooked? and how many how often? Feel free to give me any hints or advice as you have time, it's been 14 years since I've owned a ferret and am feeling rusty.I'll take any advice or comments kindly meant.Thanks! April
    • ferretmom23
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2011
        As long as you are throwing out any uneaten food after 30min. you should be ok. Wet food begins to breakdown and can spoil, causing ffod-bourne illness, even death. If he won't even eat his normal food dry, I doubt he'll eat livers, he's already imprinted on his wet food. You may be able to teach him to like a new food. Try wetting the food less and less over a period of time until he will eat it dry. ferretmomCindy

        --- In AmericanFerretAssociation@yahoogroups.com, "April H" <ahumphrey2005@...> wrote:

        > I was given a ferret age 2, he won't eat the dry ferret food, will only eat the food if I mix it with water.The package says that baby ferrets you mix it with water but adults eat it dry. Does it cause any harm for him to eat it either way? I saw some posts about feeding chicken livers which sounds delicious to me, raw or cooked? and how many how often? Feel free to give me any hints or advice as you have time, it's been 14 years since I've owned a ferret and am feeling rusty.I'll take any advice or comments kindly meant.Thanks! April

      • MaryMary
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 13, 2011
          Actually, I would be more concerned about his dental health. Kibble is bad for teeth and wet kibble is even worse. It becomes a paste and sticks to teeth, causing all kinds of issues.

          Cindy's idea is a good one - hopefully that will get him back on the dry stuff.

          Although, if you can transition him to a more raw based diet, that would ultimately be best. Check out Natural Ferrets on yahoogroups - lots of good information to be found there.

          Good luck!

          Mary