I live in NYC (Brooklyn) I want to get a pet ferret but it's illegal here?

  • justq1x
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31, 2010
      Hello! I could really use some advice. I would like to buy a pet ferret. Been a cat owner for years, cat recently passed. Now looking for a new type of pet. Can't get a dog but someone recommended a ferret to me. So I did some research, found out it is illegal to have them where I live! I have seen people with them in the city though, so how is that true then? I called Petco asked if they sold them they said no it's illegal to sell them and have them as pets. Obviously people still do since i have seen them. I just have to find a way to get one without getting in trouble and get a vet for it without getting in trouble. Any advice? Thanks!

      Justine
    • joclyn atuo
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2010
        advice?  move out of the 5 boroughs before you get a ferret.  since they are illegal there, they will be seized if found by authorities - even if you're in your own home (and not outside with it).

        better to be safe/legal than sorry
        joclyn

        please get your ferrets into the mongo memorial distemper study:
         http://www.ferret. org/news/ 07-april- titer_study. html

        Hotmail is redefining busy with tools for the New Busy. Get more from your inbox. Sign up now.
      • Ryan Cash
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2010
          I would think then that you live in California or Hawaii.  In either of those states, it is illegal to have a ferret, and having one is a risk.

          Those people you see with ferrets are breaking the law, so just because they have them doesn't mean they won't get in trouble.  It's just that nobody has reported and/or caught them, yet.

          By the way, this information is also true in some cities, but those are the only two state-wide bans that I am aware of.

          Ryan Cash
          Denver, CO

          On 03/31/2010 01:26 PM, justq1x wrote:

          Hello! I could really use some advice. I would like to buy a pet ferret. Been a cat owner for years, cat recently passed. Now looking for a new type of pet. Can't get a dog but someone recommended a ferret to me. So I did some research, found out it is illegal to have them where I live! I have seen people with them in the city though, so how is that true then? I called Petco asked if they sold them they said no it's illegal to sell them and have them as pets. Obviously people still do since i have seen them. I just have to find a way to get one without getting in trouble and get a vet for it without getting in trouble. Any advice? Thanks!

          Justine

        • bokani67
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2010
            Hard as it may be,you should abide by the laws set forth in your state. Obeying the law is VERY important. That is a BIG bummer!~SO glad they are legal here.(Washington state) We have 3,Latte,tiny lil girl,Anakin,standard sized fella & Rocket, a bit small than Anakin.Love them all topieces!~ I do wish they'd hit the potty boxes WAY more often!~ (SIGH!~)
          • Joan
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2, 2010
              Hi Justine,
              There are a few Ferret rescue withing range of you in New Jersey.
              I caution you though to consider the measures it would take to safely keep a ferret in a "Ferret Free Zone" such as the 5 bouroughs.
              There will be your housing and keeping the ferret a secret from the landlord and ferret proofing you housing ; Being "found Out" can cost you your home, and the ferret.
              Exotic Veterinarians;
              Making arrangements for your ferret to get proper medicl care, and especially in the case of an emergency ^may^ put you aand the ferret at risk.
              Family & Friends.
              Many things can change between people,and one good spat btw you and a friend, might lead to you being busted if that person is ornery-
              again, both you and the ferret suffer.
              Lastly,
              I work at a College where, of cours, pets are a no-no. One of my students had a ferret I used to sit for over the school breaks.
              She eventually moved within the 5 bouroughs, and was of course
              "Found Out".
              She had to quickly be rid of said ferret who had only known her for his whole life, and it did cost her her home, and the ferret his well being.

              Just a few major points to think over.

              --- In AmericanFerretAssociation@yahoogroups.com, "justq1x" <justq1x@...> wrote:

              > Hello! I could really use some advice. I would like to buy a pet ferret. Been a cat owner for years, cat recently passed. Now looking for a new type of pet. Can't get a dog but someone recommended a ferret to me. So I did some research, found out it is illegal to have them where I live! I have seen people with them in the city though, so how is that true then? I called Petco asked if they sold them they said no it's illegal to sell them and have them as pets. Obviously people still do since i have seen them. I just have to find a way to get one without getting in trouble and get a vet for it without getting in trouble. Any advice? Thanks!
              >
              > Justine
            • Maureen Henn
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 2, 2010
                My guess is that they are only illegal in the city. However, if you DO find that the town or township you live in allows ferrets, there is a shelter in upstate NY where you could get one. http://www.ferretfarm.org/
                It's called Lakeroad Ferret Farm Rescue. Brenda is the 'shelter mum' and you can contact her from the website. I'm sure if there is a way for you to legally have a ferret, she can help you or knows someone who does.

                Welcome to the group & Good Luck!!!
                Maureen

              • Cindy
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 5, 2010
                  Ferrets are illegal in Hawaii, California, and all five boroughs of New York. There may be additional laws or conditions in the city or county lived in. ferretmomCindy