Re: Why oh why...

  • Rebecca
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2009
      All I have is:

      You talk to deaf ferrets the same reason I talk to my 13 year old daughter! To get no response.

      At least your deaf ferters won't cop a tude at you! They still come runnin when they see you!

      (sorry I couldn't resist!)

      --- In AmericanFerretAssociation@yahoogroups.com, Jane Bradley <flamingolady@...> wrote:

      > ..do we talk to the deaf ferrets? We all do it. We look right at them,
      > even while their backs are to us and talk to them. "Come here (insert
      > your deaf ferret's name) WB. Mama needs to see you." And you stand there
      > and wonder why they ignore you. At least when they are looking at me and
      > see my lips moving I figure they know something is going on. But when
      > their backs are facing us? Are when they are snuggled in somewhere in
      > the ferret room asleep and I stand there and call their name?
      > Now when I am holding them and have them snuggled up under my chin
      > and they can feel the vibration when I speak, that is different. I can't
      > help but think this can be comforting to them. It is warm and safe and
      > has mommy's scent and a nice low vibration. Out of our current 14
      > ferrets, 5 are deaf. Funny, all of the white one. They didn't all start
      > out white but have roaned into being white over the years. One, WB Fert
      > (White Boys can jump!) is an albino and the rest are DEWs. All but one
      > has a kink in their tails. All but one is completely deaf. Does this
      > change their ferrety behavior in any way? No, they just go along with
      > the others however, you do have to play "hunt the deaf ferret" when it
      > is time to change businesses. After all, no matter how much I talk to
      > them, they simply will not respond!!!
      > Jane, Ferret mommy to the Bradley Bunch in VA

    • dav_and_frances_vandenbroucke
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2009
        --- In AmericanFerretAssociation@yahoogroups.com, "Rebecca" <beckylwuerfele@...> wrote:

        >>At least your deaf ferters won't cop a tude at you! They still come runnin when they see you!<<

        Our Raven isn't deaf, but "cop a tude" is a pretty good description of how she acts when we stop her from digging behind the desk for the N-millionth time.

        Dav Vandenbroucke
        davanden at cox dot net
      • Jane Bradley
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2009
          I have 2 grown children so I had that 'tude in my home for many years!!!
          The eye rolling, the door slamming, the moo-o-o-om, the "I am so put
          upon" sigh as they get up to do something and my all time
          favorite..."but thats not fair" being exclaimed before/during/after any
          or all of the afore mentioned.

          As for the ferrets, I honestly have to think a couple of them actually
          learned from what they observed while living with our daughter, the
          drama queen. The absolute worst at this is Benji, one of our deaf
          ferrets. He can give you a look that is just like a teenagers!! He is
          special in many ways. I selected him when he was the runt of a litter
          born at a shelter. He was a lot smaller than the others and looked like
          he needed me. Once he was ready to come home it was discovered that he
          had a stage(class?) 5 heart murmur, only the second ferret our vet has
          seen with one that bad. We had him altered at 3 months b/c of the
          murmur, everyone being worried about waiting and the surgery being
          riskier. So here he is, with legs too short, tail too short and 3 kinks
          in it, not real smart (dumb as a stump) and deaf. He is one of the joys
          of my life, our miracle as he wasn't expected to live past 2 and is now
          almost 5! We figure the secret is because he is deaf he has never heard
          anyone say he was "sick" and not supposed to live. And now for the last
          2 years we have this 'tude thing going on. He stands with those short
          little legs wide apart and just stares at you. He gives us "The Look".
          Anyone with teenagers knows it. But in ferret years he is almost 50! I
          swear I think he is trying to mentally say "But mo-o-o-m, it's not fair
          that the you keep the treats up high where I can't reach them!" And I
          honestly think he is rolling his eyes, we just can't tell!

          As for 13 year girls, they do finally grow out of that stage. My 22 year
          old daughter in now my friend. But I notice that having money involved
          still works just as it did back then to motivate a child!!!
          Some days I do a happy dance that my children are grown. While I miss
          the childhood things we so enjoyed, Craig and I are once again a couple
          and loving it!!
          Jane

          Rebecca wrote:

          > All I have is:
          >
          > You talk to deaf ferrets the same reason I talk to my 13 year old
          > daughter! To get no response.
          >
          > At least your deaf ferters won't cop a tude at you! They still come
          > runnin when they see you!
          >
          > (sorry I couldn't resist!)

        • annwithun
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2009
            This thread is hilarious! I talk to Tumble-ina all the time. She was
            my first ferret, and in the beginning I just thought she was being a
            little stinker not listening to me (of course the real truth is a little
            of both...)

            The other thing I think is interesting about her is she is even more
            vocal while playing than the others, and it sounds totally normal. I
            suppose it's different than a person, who has to learn to use words,
            versus Tumble who just uses her natural expressions of joy! She didn't
            have to hear it first, those little dooks just burst out right from her
            little heart.

            Ann