RE: [AFA Ferret] Re:"Friend" Spamming

  • joclyn atuo
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 31, 2008

      it seems to me to be a case of grouply PURPOSELY mining info from new members when they join up.  it's not a case of there was just some issue when you, in particular, signed up.

      it's wrong for grouply to do this and it's wrong for yahoo to not have something built into its system to avoid it.  from what i understand, grouply has been around long enough (since at least feb of this year) that yahoo could have and should have taken steps to protect our accounts.  they were notified of the issue pretty early on and it seems they've done nothing about it.

      i wonder if grouply also mines info for google groups and msn groups, too??  is anyone getting this kind of spam on those other groups??

      To: AmericanFerretAssociation@yahoogroups.com
      From: kmccoy4@...
      Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 23:23:14 -0500
      Subject: [AFA Ferret] Re:"Friend" Spamming

      I apologize but I know that one of those came from me. A friend of mine
      had invited me to the site for her group and grouply screwed everything
      up in the set up and it ended up attacking all of my groups and invited
      all these people whom I have no clue who they are. I am in the process
      of trying to figure out grouply and see why it is doing this and if I do
      not get it fixed by this weekend, I'm going to be closing the account
      because it is wrong for this site to go into my yahoo id and get all of
      my groups signed up on it and automatically invite everyone in it when I
      did not tell it to.

      Want to read Hotmail messages in Outlook? The Wordsmiths show you how. Learn Now
    • Toni Thompson

        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 14, 2008
          what ?

          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 15, 2008
            --- In AmericanFerretAssociation@yahoogroups.com, Brooks Peters
            <lilmouser11@...> wrote:

            > what ?

            What are you asking?

            Dav Vandenbroucke
            Moderator, AFA Forum
            davanden at cox dot net
          • joclyn atuo
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 15, 2008
              you can set your preferences on yahoo to block other yahoo groups from sending you invites...these invites don't actually come from the members (even if it's titled 'on behalf of') - the board moderators send them (it's part of the functionality of yahoogroups).

              i think there is also a setting that moderators can tick off so that none of the members of their group will recieve invites from other groups.  not sure about that one, though.

              To: AmericanFerretAssociation@yahoogroups.com
              From: davanden@...
              Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 12:49:33 +0000
              Subject: Re: [AFA Ferret] "Friend" Spamming

              <lilmouser11@ ...> wrote:

              > what ?

              What are you asking?

              Dav Vandenbroucke
              Moderator, AFA Forum
              davanden at cox dot net

              Suspicious message? There’s an alert for that. Get your Hotmail® account now.