HELP>>>>PLEASE!!!!

  • ham090502
    Message 1 of 12 , May 31, 2008
      I just bought two ferrets from someone and one is really well taken
      care of, nice and chubby(male). The other is a female, white but is
      really skinny. So skinny she escapes from their cage. She eats A LOT
      and sleeps. She is active, comes out and plays with my other ferrets
      and cats. Is that ok????? What can I do to fatten her up some???? She
      just looks unhealthy....she doesn't have much hair either????Any help
      would be greatly appreciated....Thanks!
    • Laura Sherman
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1, 2008
        I'm very sorry I can only give you a very quick answer at this moment. First thing -- GET HER TO A VET. Second thing to stimulate appetite and "fatten" them up --- they should eat on their own. Make some Duck Soup
        I've had to force feed in the past using a syringe but if she's eating then that would be better.

        Good Luck
        Laura

        --
        Laura Sherman
        Corona, CA
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 1, 2008
          If she's that skinny and doesn't have much fur, I would definitely bring her to the vets to get looked at. Being skinny is one thing, but that combined with the fur loss can mean that there's something going on that needs treatment.

          One of my girls was always skinny and could escape through two of the bars that were slightly wider apart from the rest of the cage. I ended up having to block just that section with a piece of wood. She ate quite a bit, but never got to be to large. It was just her body I guess. She was healthy until the last year of her life when she kept getting infections and had to go on medication. When she was ill I used to mash her dry food up in warm water and she went to town on that. It helped put some weight back on to her, but at the same time it wasn't good for her teeth. Once she was eating normally again she went back on solid dry food.

          You can discuss how to get weight on her with your vet when you take her in. Keep in mind though, she may just be built on the small side and may never put on a lot of weight. Based on my personal experience, it's the fur loss that concerns me more than her weight.

          Good luck,
          - Mandy
        • Elyse Ilaria
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 1, 2008
            Where is the hair loss? Is it all over or mainly her tail and back?? As for fattening up.. I once had a call and picked
            up a ferret that was found on the road - he was sweet as can be but was super skinny. With a lot of love and a lot of
            homemade duck soup he fattened up right away. Are you aware of what duck soup is and how to make it??

            Elyse

            ________________________________

            To: AmericanFerretAssociation@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 1, 2008
              Hey we called a vet that actually has ferrets and she fed her baby whiskas wet cat food in a bag. We fed it to one of ours and she fattened up and she liked it and she has always been healthy. Well lets hope its just seasonal hair loss. You might want to take her  to the vet to make sure she is healthy. Before you  just take her to any vet you might want to call around and see if  there is vet around you that knows something about ferrets. Well I am gonna go now.
                  Talk to you later,
               Jen and Carl, Sable and Sissy(ferrets)
              ham090502 <ham090502@...> wrote:
              I just bought two ferrets from someone and one is really well taken
              care of, nice and chubby(male) . The other is a female, white but is
              really skinny. So skinny she escapes from their cage. She eats A LOT
              and sleeps. She is active, comes out and plays with my other ferrets
              and cats. Is that ok????? What can I do to fatten her up some???? She
              just looks unhealthy... .she doesn't have much hair either????Any help
              would be greatly appreciated. ...Thanks!

            • huggergirl777
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 2, 2008
                I also had a very skinny female. When I switched food from 8 in 1 to
                Innova EVO, she put on weight and looks much healthier. I don't know if
                this is your girl's problem, but it was for mine. And since they are
                carnivores, they do not digest anything except for meat. They get
                absolutely no nutrition from other foods. So, check your food and make
                sure that it is mostly meat - chicken, turkey, etc. I hope it's just a
                food issue and nothing more serious, because I know that hair loss can
                indicate some diseases. But, my chubby boy also had some hair loss
                bebefore the food switch. Good luck.

                --- In AmericanFerretAssociation@yahoogroups.com, "ham090502"
                <ham090502@...> wrote:

                > I just bought two ferrets from someone and one is really well taken
                > care of, nice and chubby(male). The other is a female, white but is
                > really skinny. So skinny she escapes from their cage. She eats A LOT
                > and sleeps. She is active, comes out and plays with my other ferrets
                > and cats. Is that ok????? What can I do to fatten her up some???? She
                > just looks unhealthy....she doesn't have much hair either????Any help
                > would be greatly appreciated....Thanks!

              • mandy walters

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 2, 2008

                    Whenever you get a new fert(s), I believe you should get a baseline of health from your vet.  Sounds like it is that time.

                    Good luck and please keep us abreast.

                    Best…

                    Mark Sonder, CSEP

                    Chief Entertainment Officer

                    Mark Sonder Productions, Inc.

                    540-636-1640

                    author, "Event Entertainment and Production" (Wiley 2004)

                    I just bought two ferrets from someone and one is really well taken
                    care of, nice and chubby(male). The other is a female, white but is
                    really skinny. So skinny she escapes from their cage. She eats A LOT
                    and sleeps. She is active, comes out and plays with my other ferrets
                    and cats. Is that ok????? What can I do to fatten her up some???? She
                    just looks unhealthy....she doesn't have much hair either????Any help
                    would be greatly appreciated....Thanks!

                    It has removed 224120 spam emails to date.
                    Try SPAMfighter for free now!

                  • Joan
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 2, 2008
                      Make the next possible appointment to take them both to a Ferret Vet
                      and have them checked over and given their shots.
                      there is ferret vet list on the main AFA site to find one in your area.
                      The female, from how you describe may be experiencing Adrenal Disease,
                      and this cannot be left alone- it can kill.

                      <ham090502@...> wrote:

                      > I just bought two ferrets from someone and one is really well taken
                      > care of, nice and chubby(male). The other is a female, white but is
                      > really skinny. So skinny she escapes from their cage. She eats A LOT
                      > and sleeps. She is active, comes out and plays with my other ferrets
                      > and cats. Is that ok????? What can I do to fatten her up some???? She
                      > just looks unhealthy....she doesn't have much hair either????Any help
                      > would be greatly appreciated....Thanks!

                    • Patty Tyler
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 2, 2008

                        Hi, my male ferret had a similar episode as you describe and I relate it to stress. About a month ago when we had our first warm day, I put a harness on Cinnabun and took him outside. Well, he HATED it. He was so afraid, poor thing. His tailed puffed out and he was clearly traumatized. Two days later I noticed a bald spot on his lower back near his tail and he lost weight. The vet checked him over and his adrenals were fine. I haven't tried to bring him out since, and the hair has grown back and he is putting the weight back on. Do you think your new ferret may have been stressed by moving to a new home?

                        Patty

                        --- On Mon, 6/2/08, mandy walters <ham090502@...> wrote:

                        Her hair loss is only on her back next to her tail.....how do you make duck
                        soup? thanks for the response.

                      • ruthann friedman
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 3, 2008
                          Hi... this is certain to be one of at least ten responses to your
                          last post...but...hair loss around the base of the tail is a sign of
                          definate problems with your ferret. Take her to a vet ASAP...My
                          Annabelly had insulenemia SP?... She ended up with a bald tail and
                          taking prednisone every day...She lived a long and happy life...

                          Ruthann

                          --- In AmericanFerretAssociation@yahoogroups.com, mandy walters
                          <ham090502@...> wrote:

                          > Her hair loss is only on her back next to her tail.....how do you
                          make duck soup? thanks for the response.

                        • sara levien
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 4, 2008
                            Please don't take offence to this but hairloss on the tail is not always a medical issue. Every year almost all 6 of my fuzzies have some sort of hairloss on their tail when they are in their seasonal shed. I admit, the first thing that always comes to mind is "Oh man, not adreanel disease" but I just have to remember that this happens every year. I just have to keep an eye on them and make sure nothing else changes and the hairloss doesn't get worse. That doesn't mean you shouldn't get them checked out but it is my personal belief that you don't have to rush to the vet the minute you notice the hairloss. The key is to get to know your ferret and their patterns and talk with your vet if you need to but don't freak out about it. They can get a meletonin implant that will diminsh the symptoms (not cure the disease) too.

                            To: AmericanFerretAssociation@yahoogroups.com
                            From: windyA1@...
                            Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 17:04:45 +0000
                            Subject: [AFA Ferret] Re: HELP>>>>PLEASE!!!!