Re: [AFA Ferret] Silly question about litter box cleaning

  • Joy
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31 9:42 AM
      Thanks everybody. I am luck that mine use the litter box. In the
      cage, every corner of the cage is covered with old clothes except
      the litter pan so there is no bare corners. That helps. I guess I
      will be greatful that they use the box and not worry about it.
      Joy

      --- In AmericanFerretAssociation@yahoogroups.com, "BLaugesen"
      <blaugesen@...> wrote:

      > Joy, I would say you are very lucky that they are using the
      litter box as often as they are. Many of us have the problem of them
      going into corners rather than using their box. And, its also an
      indication that your fuzzies are healthy and happy.
      > We have, in the past used regular scoops to remove the clumps of
      poo, but it may have something to do with the type of litter you are
      using. We use yesterdays news exclusively. We also put about a
      quarter of a cup of baking soda into every box. It helps with the
      smell. Dont put anymore than this because we have one girl who loves
      to dig in the litter when it is fresh and it will cause her to
      sneeze when she gets it in her nose.
      > Hope this helps.
      >
      > Bobbi and Denny Laugesen
      > PawPrints of America
      > www.ferretscorner.com
      > Where Ferrets are Family

    • Angela Hamberg
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2008
        I scoop as much of the wet stuff and solid stuff as I can on a daily basis. I bought a plastic kitchen server spoon from the dollar store and use that to scoop the dusty and/or wet parts (I use wood pellets) and the poop, then I add clean pellets to it.
        Once a week I clean the boxes thoroughly. First I do the normal cleaning routine, then I use a regular cat litter scoop to get the clean and dry pellets out. What is left is the dusty part which I dump in the trash. Then I wash the litter pans out with water, dry them, refill them and we are good for another week.

        If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket
        and then give them only two of them.
        -Phil Pastoret

        To: AmericanFerretAssociation@yahoogroups.com